shape
carat
color
clarity

Stupidly simple fill-in-the-blank pregnancy solution

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I've been having pregnancy-induced sciatica for the last 24 hours - nothing debilitating, but I was kinda doing the Pimp Roll when I walked, so I Googled out of desperation.

One of the random Yahooo hits off-handedly included the suggestion to stand on your hands and knees for a minute to reposition the baby.

Dude! It worked!

I'm kind of foolishly delighted by this. Anybody want to share their common-sense, down-home, so-obvious-you-probably-never would-have-though-of-it solutions for common pregnancy issues?

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Am I the only one who didn't realize you were pregnant, Circe?! :appl: Congrats, lady! How far along are you?
And bummer about the nerve pain...I hear its the worst.

I was having terrible pain in the middle of my back, right between my shoulder blades. I googled it and someone suggested it could be gas bubbles, even though it was super high in my back. Either way, I was desperate, so I tried some gas x and it was sooo much better. Who knew?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks, Charbie! I'm 19 weeks along, going in for my big fancy anatomy scan next week. Congrats to you too - I didn't realize until I saw your post over in Hangout!

Good to know about the back-pain ... that is something that would never have occurred to me. Huh!

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Ooof Circe, sciatica is no joke! I had it for a while, non-preggo induced. I did acupuncture for it for 6 wks. It's finally gone now. I think the cat-cow yoga pose should help move the baby even more than just hands/knees (table pose).

I can't take credit for this, it's Pancake's tip: Apparently 2 saltines before you get out of bed helps with nausea. I haven't been hit with nausea yet, so I can't say if it works for me.

Anyone got anything for wicked bad cramps?

~LC

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is news to me as well! Congratulations, Circe! So very happy for you.

:appl: :wavey: I have no advice for any sort of pregnancy issues, but I would come and give you a gigantic bear hug if it would help...!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats Circe, soooo HAPPY FOR YOU :appl: :appl: :appl:

Rib pain, was the worst but stretching back helped a bit.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Circe, what wonderful news. I hope everything goes well for you!

Re sciatica - have a go with acupuncture, it really does wonders and it completely safe in pregnancy.

I had terrible back pain when I was pregnant where one of the joints that connects your ribs to your vertebrae became inflamed and the only thing that helped with that was a full body elastic bandage. I looked like a caterpillar but it worked.

Weirdly the back issues that I normally have and that have/will require major surgery improved when I was pregnant due to the relaxin - I use acupuncture a lot for them and it does work well.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe, you may want to give prenatal yoga a shot. My favorite part of class was butt up, head down position (sheesh, I can't remember the *technical* term) that would move that kid right out of the pelvis!

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Nausea/morning sickness - what worked for me:

-Ginger mints
-Eating a high-carbohydrate food right away (like biscuits, or a chocolate bar)
-Breathing deeply and steadily a few times - helps to curb the urge to throw up.
Especially important when you're face to face with someone!

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
puppmom|1309439205|2958954 said:
Circe, you may want to give prenatal yoga a shot. My favorite part of class was butt up, head down position (sheesh, I can't remember the *technical* term) that would move that kid right out of the pelvis!

Downward dog?? Child's pose??

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was sort of like a modified Child's Pose. You're on your knees and elbows with your hands in front of you but not pushed back with your butt to your heels. Maybe there is no technical term - it's just child's pose for ladies with bellies too big to get in correct position.

I loved my Prenatal Yoga instructor. You state your pregnancy related ailment and bam!, she had a solution.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
My nausea solution was to hop in a cool shower (when I could), or put a frozen magic bag on my neck. Doing pelvic floor muscle exercises (kegels) helped with the lower back pain.

Mrs

Shiny_Rock
Wearing wrist braces to bed for the last two nights has dramatically helped my carpel tunnel / neuropathy at night! I was resigned to the idea that I would not sleep well for the rest of the pregnancy due to the discomfort but I slept until 5AM this morning without looking at the clock once until then!

Mrs

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Mrs|1309619442|2960581 said:
Wearing wrist braces to bed for the last two nights has dramatically helped my carpel tunnel / neuropathy at night! I was resigned to the idea that I would not sleep well for the rest of the pregnancy due to the discomfort but I slept until 5AM this morning without looking at the clock once until then!

Mrs

I WISH this worked for me! Mine was so awful that the braces didn't help at all. I'm 10 months postpartum now and still have minor carpel tunnel!

purselover

Ideal_Rock
puppmom|1309486428|2959577 said:
It was sort of like a modified Child's Pose. You're on your knees and elbows with your hands in front of you but not pushed back with your butt to your heels. Maybe there is no technical term - it's just child's pose for ladies with bellies too big to get in correct position.

I loved my Prenatal Yoga instructor. You state your pregnancy related ailment and bam!, she had a solution.

It's called puppy pose (how cute is that!) my teacher told us about it last week.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results