shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting help and stone question

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are the chances that a 5.5mm stone will fit in a setting that is currently holding a 4.9mm stone (I will try to post
a picture). If it makes any difference the stone is held in with 3 prongs.

Also, what are normal treatments for a zircon? How about heating? I found a stone I like and it says that it is heated. Is
that a no-no for a zircon? Its a lovely light blue.

prettyneck3.jpg

MontageCreations

Rough_Rock
Trade
Beautiful motif for a pendant 8-)

I can't tell enough about the setting to say for sure, that usually takes an inspection, my gut tells me it won't fit as is, but it could also quite easily be adapted with another head for your stone.

Heat treatment is a common method of treatment for just about all stones. Some levels of heating, low and gentle, are virtually undetectable. Anytime someone tells me that this stone is all natural and never been heated, especially on stones that are commonly heat treated, I start to wonder what else they are bull shooting me about.... Zircons are quite commonly heat treated and it's been done so long it's considered a standard practice.

Hope this helps

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1308070923|2945668 said:
What are the chances that a 5.5mm stone will fit in a setting that is currently holding a 4.9mm stone (I will try to post
a picture). If it makes any difference the stone is held in with 3 prongs.

Also, what are normal treatments for a zircon? How about heating? I found a stone I like and it says that it is heated. Is
that a no-no for a zircon? Its a lovely light blue.

I think all blue zircons are either heated or irradiated. I believe Gene (precisiongem) mentioned that they are now irradiating zircons to blue. Zircon is an inexpensive stone in smaller sizes, so if it's heated, or even irradiated, I wouldn't sweat it, unless treatment bothers you.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks MontageCreations and TL...I may send some email to the etsy vendor who made the pendant to see if he
can modify it for me. The zircon that I found is really pretty and not very expensive. Its like the perfect color
(IMO). I'll post if I do buy.

Thanks again
tyty333

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results