shape
carat
color
clarity

J color diamond that issnt really yellow???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ssnifflezz

Rough_Rock
i was wondering....

depending on the cut of a diamond (ie. ideal etc.) will that somewhat help the color of the diamond???

my bf and i found a diamond that was a J color. but when we compared it to a G and H color diamond, the color wasnt much different -- they were pretty much identical. the jeweler said it was because the J color diamond was an ideal cut... hence more of a sparkle. she then even took us outside to see the diamond''s color, however the sun wasnt out. nevertheless it was still pretty white and not yellow at all when placed on a platinum setting. does this make sense??? i thought J color diamonds, were pretty much yellow???.... oh, and the jeweler also said there was no flourescence in the diamond.....

any thoughts would be appreciated....
1.gif

yowahking

Shiny_Rock
While it is true that an Ideal cut or very fine cutting can mask some of the body color of the gem, there are some other factors. The stone may have some flourescence which often makes the stone look a grade better. It may be that it was a stone closer to an I color and the grader was tough on it. It may be that the stone has either a silver tone or the top of the brown tones which often do not show as easily as the yellow tints. They often face up white and with the brilliance of the finer cutting, looks quite nice for the money. Sometimes the stones in the mounting will make a J stone look darker if the small diamonds are better. Sometimes the stone looks great no matter how you look at it.
I tell my customers to buy the best looking diamond that they can afford, rather than the engineer customers who spend so much time looking for the exact angles and percentages, that they miss some fantastic stones along the way. Just sold an Ideal cut "h" color to someone who was told nothing below G would look nice in their mounting. She liked the H better than the G or F that I also had.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Just to add to what yowahking said.

I''d bet the stone will look more yellow upside-down, but a well cut diamond does indeed fact up remarkably white. I was amazed the first time I placed a "superideal" I color next to an F.

DiamondLover23

Shiny_Rock

I have an ideal H&A 0.723 K diamond with no flourescence, and it faces up beautifully white.

The light bulb in the room has to have a yellow cast to make the stone look yellow, and in that case it makes my CZ pendant look yellow too!

Compared to whiter diamonds, mine looks ''darker'' when held next to each other but it doesn''t look yellow.

kfds

Rough_Rock
Here''s our very well cut J diamond in platinum. (HCA - 1.5 ISee2 - 9.8) The diamond faces-up very "white" even with it''s faint flourescence.

You really have to see the diamond to make the call. I had no intentions of going over H, prior to finding this diamond.

KD_Br138JIF_Top1.jpg

zoobiedo

Shiny_Rock
I have an ideal cut (according to Dave Atlas'' site) 1.25 marquise diamond that is J and no jeweler has thought it was below H color when looking at it in its setting. I never thought I would buy a J color until I found this forum and then did some searching around. I think I would even consider a K or L in the future. Save a bunch of money, have a great stone and be happy.
9.gif

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
This is my thread featuring my e-ring.

The center stone is an I-J european cut. I don''t know the color of the sides (Yet) I''ve been nagging the fiance to get the info for me (He has it) but he hasn''t bothered to find it for me, but I would guess they are in the H-I range too. I was shocked at how white the ring seems. Sure you can see a little yellow from the sides of the center stone, but the face up is bright and white.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock

I was told by an online jeweler that a well cut J would look very white, but from the sides is where one might see a little yellow and that her engagement ring was J and set in platinum. Go for it, but get the best cut you can!/idealbb/editor/cute/images/emwink.gif

marriahlyn

Shiny_Rock
This is my ideal cut J diamond. I can tell a difference between this and my F diamond, but I still think the J faces up nice & white........enough for me anyway.

jamie30.jpg

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Very white!

ssnifflezz

Rough_Rock
1.gif
thanks everyone for your input...
i just called the jeweler this afternoon to ask for the specs of the diamond.
hopefully soon, i''ll know if it really is a good cut diamond or not... and if the color really is it''s true color...

i originally didnt want to go below G, but if things turn out right with this diamond... then i just might.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results