Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1302740973|2895492 said:
Thank you for adding that picture, Amy!!! :wavey:

haha, I was one second behind you!

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock

ObviouslyAnnie

Rough_Rock
My husband saved up for three years to buy my Van Craeynest wedding set before our wedding in 2007. I've always adored it, but now we're expecting our 2nd baby, then my mom had a massive stroke and became paralyzed so we became her caretaker and my husband just received a lay-off notice... So I'm sad to say that I'll probably have to sell the set. I want to keep the diamond (it's laser inscribed with our names anyway!!) but I don't know if the settings alone will sell, or how much to ask for them, or even how or where to sell something of such high quality. Any suggestions? These are photos of the settings I have (so you can get an idea) in size 9.5 and made for a .78 carat diamond. The styles are: Pierced style # 1004 in 18kt yellow gold with platinum insets, and wedding band style 2004-P in 18kt yellow gold. We actually had a tiny diamond added to the flower in the center of the wedding band too, plus it doesn't have the black antique-ing seen in the photo from Van Creaynest photo. I love my husband and I love my rings, but I need to take care of my family so any advice would be appreciated!

Ring1.jpg

Ring2.jpg

Ring3.jpg

Ring4.jpg

Malta

Rough_Rock
I love so many of the goodies posted in this thread

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ObviouslyAnnie|1305996689|2927297 said:
My husband saved up for three years to buy my Van Craeynest wedding set before our wedding in 2007. I've always adored it, but now we're expecting our 2nd baby, then my mom had a massive stroke and became paralyzed so we became her caretaker and my husband just received a lay-off notice... So I'm sad to say that I'll probably have to sell the set. I want to keep the diamond (it's laser inscribed with our names anyway!!) but I don't know if the settings alone will sell, or how much to ask for them, or even how or where to sell something of such high quality. Any suggestions? These are photos of the settings I have (so you can get an idea) in size 9.5 and made for a .78 carat diamond. The styles are: Pierced style # 1004 in 18kt yellow gold with platinum insets, and wedding band style 2004-P in 18kt yellow gold. We actually had a tiny diamond added to the flower in the center of the wedding band too, plus it doesn't have the black antique-ing seen in the photo from Van Creaynest photo. I love my husband and I love my rings, but I need to take care of my family so any advice would be appreciated!

I'm so sorry to hear about this, ObviouslyAnnie. You could try Jewels by Erica Grace.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
baby nurse|1306004654|2927353 said:
ObviouslyAnnie|1305996689|2927297 said:

I'm so sorry to hear about this, ObviouslyAnnie. You could try Jewels by Erica Grace.
Yeah. Consigment with JBeG or possibly Pearlman's would be the way to go IMO; you could also try selling it via, say, eBay- but the problem is, I don't think Van Craeynest (despite their amazing workmanship that you really cannot get anywhere else nowadays) is simply not well known enough to command enough of a premium on the secondhand market to make it worth your while. But, if you have experience selling on ebay, it might be worth trying anyway just to see if it would go.

It is, unfortunately, hard to recoup money spent on brand new jewelry. Really hard. Even if it's super premium quality like VC's jewelry. Good luck- and I'm so sorry to hear you have to sell it. :(sad That is hands down, my favorite VC setting!

ObviouslyAnnie

Rough_Rock
Yeah I don't expect to recoup the cost at this point. I'm just hoping to pay rent current, get my mom her medications and buy groceries. I hate to admit it but I'd settle for $6,000 to $7,000 for the entire semi-mount set, at this point. We paid more than twice that amount originally. I looked into EBay but the fees would eat up too much of the sale price. I think I might try Etsy.com and keep my fingers crossed. It's never easy parting with something so sentimental, but we have to survive.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ObviouslyAnnie|1306008379|2927377 said:
Yeah I don't expect to recoup the cost at this point. I'm just hoping to pay rent current, get my mom her medications and buy groceries. I hate to admit it but I'd settle for $6,000 to $7,000 for the entire semi-mount set, at this point. We paid more than twice that amount originally. I looked into EBay but the fees would eat up too much of the sale price. I think I might try Etsy.com and keep my fingers crossed. It's never easy parting with something so sentimental, but we have to survive.

ObviouslyAnnie, I just wanted to let you know how sorry I am that you're going through such a rough time. My mother had a stroke in October and isn't paralyzed (but problems with balance that have drastically affected mobility) and it's still been difficult and life-changing, so I can only imagine how hard it is for you to contend with the multiple issues you have going on. I really feel for you and will keep you in my thoughts.

I've never listed anything on it and don't know much about it, but there's a site called diamond bistro that might be worth looking into.

ObviouslyAnnie

Rough_Rock
Thanks Junebug17,

I've posted the setting for sale on Etsy for now, but if it doesn't sell then I'll definitely check out the site you mentioned. I'm glad your mom is doing well. Strokes are no joke. My mom was lucky to survive. She had one fully blocked coratid artery and the other was almost fully blocked (90%). The result was actually FIVE massive strokes since the beginning of March, before they were able to perform artery bypass surgery to return blood flow to her brain. Needless to say, she's in rough shape. She's paralyzed and can't speak and the doctors believe she only understands 30% of what she hears. Now we're caring for her, have a toddler who turns two years old in August, baby # 2 is due in October and my husband was laid off. We don't want to loose our home but if we can't get some funds in soon then we'll all be homeless.

I haven't been able to find a buyer for my wedding set and most jewelers have advised us that our diamond is too high quality and personalized (its laser engraved with our names and wedding date) but said we have a good chance selling the settings. In hopes of getting a fast sale, I've listed the pair of settings (wedding band and engagement ring, with no center stone) for only $6,500. Anyone who has ever purchased a Van Craeynest would recognize what an absolute STEAL this price is. My fingers are crossed!! If you know anyone who might be interested, please let them know! Check it out here:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/74560993/van-craeynest-signed-18k-gold-platinum

EtsyRing1.jpg

EtsyRing2.jpg

EtsyRing3.jpg

EtsyRing4.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Annie, I am really sorry to hear about your mom and loss of your husband's job. I am very sorry you feel you have to sell your rings. As one who has recently bought a second hand VC ring (ebay), I'll have to tell you that I paid maybe 20% of the original cost of the ring, although I don't know it's original price for sure. You are unlikely to get anywhere near what you are asking. Another issue is that your rings are not the most common size, so that will be another obstacle.

I really hope your husband finds a new job quickly. You have an incredible amount on your plate. My mother had a stroke in November, so I certainly can empathize with that situation.

stlc

Rough_Rock
Annie I am so sorry.
I have taken the liberty and have emailed a few friends and have put it up in places where my friends can see it. Maybe you might get a few more bits that way :)

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
This is my VC bracelet
18K yellow gold and diamonds
7mm
IMG_6353.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iluvcarats...I'll say it again...that is one spectacular bracelet! :love: :love: :love:

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1311646049|2976800 said:
iluvcarats...I'll say it again...that is one spectacular bracelet! :love: :love: :love:

Thank you Diamondseeker :)

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Is there such a thing as a VC 3 stone ring? I don't see anything in their catalog, but I know that if it exists, someone here will have it! ;-)

sunseeker101

Shiny_Rock
Yennyfire, I can't believe you're asking about this at this juncture heheh: I've just put in an order for a VC 3-stone (3ct oval sapphire and 2 half-carater rounds) this past week. VC was the last place I thought of thanks to those catalog omissions. The scoop was that a series of 3-stone models were last manufactured in the 30s and 40s before slowly falling out of favour. Any die of the set can be dusted off and the hand-work updated to your liking (this is what we did). There are no pics available of what I went for but all will be revealed in three or four weeks. :naughty:

I've been gagging to see the new home of your knockout oval. :love: Wherever that beauty goes, grace and elegance are sure to tag along!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Too funny Aeolianarpa! I can't wait to see your new beauty! I'm sure it's going to be GORGEOUS! My oval ring should be done in a couple more weeks. We finally nailed down all of the little details and it goes into production on Tuesday. I just purchased a .96 OEC and a .75 OEC and am considering a 3 stone ring (assuming the facet patterns work well together and that I can find a 3rd stone!)....

Would you mind giving me a ballpark price for your piece? Are you providing all 3 stones? I checked with Larry when I was looking for my oval and he quoted me $7500 for style 1007. That was way over my budget and I don't want to bug him if there's no chance that I can afford the piece.

sunseeker101

Shiny_Rock
Yenny, sorry for the delay! Cannot wait for the SS unveiling and glad to hear everything is rolling along. :) 3 stone sounds like a great complement already. No worries on the pricing -- all yellow gold and supplying all 3 stones ourselves came to 5.5K. All plat. Would have been 7.5K. Metal pricing has lifted things quite considerably, though is no surprise! Hope that helps :))

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for the info! I can't wait to see it! :appl:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sent my ring in for some maintenance and rechasing, fingers crossed it gets there safely!
I also found out that the 75$ fee is no longer in effect sadly, now they do individual quotes it seems. Apparently they will be making a new website soon, exciting!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update, VC finished rechasing and refinishing my ring! It came to about 200$, which is reasonable enough I think. And the turn around time was only about it week. They sent me some photos, the flowers and miligrain look good as new!

vanfix.JPG

IMG1010.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2 more, these were taken through a loupe. Talk about details.

vfix1.JPG

vfox2.JPG

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Makingthegrade...wow, that does look as good as new! :love:

Aeol.....just found your ring thread!!! :love: Amazing!! You need to add the pictures here, too!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree! Looks spectacular!!!! :love:

sunseeker101

Shiny_Rock
MTG, great to see it revamped -- it's gorgeous!

DS, ahh, will post up the sapphire, it completely slipped my mind! Also, I've just received a re-done 1.16er in its original setting. The prongs are different to the usual, basically a faux double-prong. The finished article looks like a different ring now -- very surprising. I see you're homing in on your planned VC project (I've been silently willing you to do this for years hehe!) and thought this result would be of interest to you. Here goes:

For the gallery, 3 carat Sri Lankan blue heated sapphire with half-carat F/G VS rounds as sidestones in Van Craeynest no. 968-3:

VC 3-stone Sapph 7.jpg

VC 3-stone Sapph Side.jpg

VC 3-stone Sapph 12.jpg

VC 3-stone Sapph 2.jpg

sunseeker101

Shiny_Rock
For DS :)

There's only one so far because I got home too late for good light -- so more (and hopefully better!) tomorrow:

VC Prong.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Majorly gorgeous rings, Aeol!!!

Who did the prongs on the second ring????? I want to do an AVC in my VC setting, so I am very concerned about the prongs!

sunseeker101

Shiny_Rock
Thanks DS! :)

More pics from a predictably (as I was relying on a bit of sun) overcast evening for you:

Maybe magnified pics don't convey the 'floating' look of the diamond properly here -- is disconcerting in real life; I'm used to seeing sturdy prongs hehe! This version was carried out by a setter at Emerson and Ferrar, VC's new 'parent' company. Hoping this info makes it easier for you to take the plunge! :Up_to_something: :razz:

VC Prong 1.jpg

VC Prong 5.jpg

VC Prong 7.jpg

VC Prong 10.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahhhh, so they sold the company? That must have been the change that was on the horizon awhile back. I called the other day and learned that Sara is no longer there. I talked to Larry about the setting I want and it was priced quite a bit higher than the quote I got last year.

On the plus side, I love those prongs! Although I was leaning toward having them send the setting to GOG so they could set the stone (which is imaginary at this point!).

sunseeker101

Shiny_Rock
DS, indeed they did. Though I'd say they were bought without selling themselves hehe! They managed to keep their apprentice system in place and only lost one or two people (what a woeful inconvenience that Sara is gone, she made a great office manager!). Prices went up quite a bit before the takeover (too little, too late) and soaring metal pricing didn't help either. On the positive side, it's a great relief for Larry to be able to operate without such crushing financial concerns. Silver lining and all that!

Glad you like the prongs, back I go to silent willing :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results