shape
carat
color
clarity

Calibrated Gemstones?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Any know know of a good on-line vendor to calibrated gemstones? I''m looking to browse through a variety of 6mm rounds and compare prices and ct weight of different gems.

yowahking

Shiny_Rock
If you are looking for gems where the supply of rough is easy and crystals are large like amethyst, blue topaz, citrine, etc., you can find about 4 billion sites for 6mm stones. If you are looking for more rare gems like ruby, sapphire, emerald, tzavorite, tanzanite, in nicer qualities, gems are less likely to be cut to calibrated sizes, more likely to be cut to the best stone that the rough allows without too much waste. Those gems may be 5.7mm or 6.25mm in the 6mm sizes. Amethyst for instance can be ordered a thousand stones at a time in 6mm where finding a match pair of high quality emerald 6mm may be hard to find and available with one dealer one day and then not the next.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
if you are looking for more rare gems like ruby, sapphire, emerald, tzavorite, tanzanite, in nicer qualities, gems are less likely to be cut to calibrated sizes, more likely to be cut to the best stone that the rough allows without too much waste. Those gems may be 5.7mm or 6.25mm in the 6mm sizes.

Let''s say I found a setting that accommodated a 6.5 mm gem... would I be able to put a slightly different sized, say, sapphire in the setting easily? Or would my jeweler have to put a whole new head on the setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results