shape
carat
color
clarity

What's on your Easter menu?

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
We're hosting DH's father and step mother for Easter dinner and I'm looking for menu ideas. What are you serving?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
What's on my Easter menu? ** reservations ** :naughty: But if I was cooking, I might wanna try out this new Strawberry Spinach salad w/Honey Balsamic dressing I'm making this week, if it turns out well, that is. I can see it being light & Eastery & colorful & a bit unexpected.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
yum! Please post the recipe!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Chocolate rabbit.

Maybe a chicken.

I'm not big on Easter meal. Keep the bar low, I say. :bigsmile:

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
http://www.mindfullivingnetwork.com...pinach-salad-with-honey-balsamic-vinaigrette/

I'm making some adjustments that mimic other versions I've seen .... instead of walnuts, I'm using toasted seseme seeds & putting them into the dressing. Am also going to use goat cheese discs instead of blue cheese. If you google "strawberry spinach salad" you'll get HUNDREDS of different varieties. A lot of them use Worschershire sauce, which I believe I am allergic to -- but that seems to be the most popular version.

Strawberries are so cheap & plentiful right now I was searching for *another* way to use them. Hope this works!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
We're having pork tenderloin, several different sides including deviled eggs :love: and a salad with red onion, feta, prosciutto, and a homemade vinagrette. It's a family favorite!

My mom also always makes egg shaped mini cakes that she frosts and decorates in bright colors.

I'm pretty sure my aunt is making Moscow Mules instead of our normal mimosa/bloody mary option.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
We are having a from scratch caramel cake, the kind with the thin layers. I'm not sure what else. I started at the back and I am working forward.

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
Cadbury eggs! :tongue:

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
what is this caramel cake of which you speak???

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are greeks and the traditional Easter menu contains lamb and potatoes roasted in the oven and cooked with olive oil, lemon juice, oreganon, thyme and garlic as a main dish. Also, tzatziki, which is a spread made of yoghurt, cucumber, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper, at least two salads (one greek salad made with tomatoes, cucumber, sliced onions, sliced green peppers, olives, feta cheese, oreganon, balsamic vinegar and olive oil and one made of roman lettuce and fresh onions), cheese pies with home made puff pastry and filled with feta, yellow graviera cheese and kasseri cheese and of course the boiled eggs which we paint red and they are the most important element of the Easter table!!! After lunch, we have coffee with the traditional Easter cookies :cheeky: slurp-slurp!!!

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Hudson_Hawk|1303147225|2899170 said:
what is this caramel cake of which you speak???
They are popular in the south. Did you read " The Help?" Caramel cakes are spoken of often in the novel. Here is a quick link to an image of a caramel cake, as in "The Help":http://www.alpacafarmgirl.com/2010/01/caramel-cake-inspired-by-the-help/
However, this is sort of misleading; the cake icing looks soupy. A true caramel cake's icing sort of forms a very thin shell on the outside, not as thick as creme brulee, but it is nonetheless, a shell.

I think I am also going to make a sort of Moroccan meat pie that a friend of mine taught me to make. It is not too hard, called Bobuti. It is sort of a quiche consistency. If you have any interest, I will furnish the recipe, but I doubt many people have a notion for Moroccan Pie for Easter, except me, that is.

sctsbride09

Brilliant_Rock
We are going to my families for Easter this year, all we have to bring is dessert, YAY! Im spent from hosting Christmas and Thanksgiving still,lol. I will be bringing a hummingbird cake for the dessert, and Im pretty sure the menu will be something like.. Rib roast, mashed potatoes,roasted asparagus with proscuitto and fontina, and a salad of some type. My family is one of those that keeps the menu pretty much the same every year, except dessert and maybe a side dish or 2.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
We're having pizza! I'm making it from scratch.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
We're having a turkey ball in the crock pot and..not sure what else. Maybe cheesy potatoes and green bean casserole.

basil

Brilliant_Rock
I hadn't thought about it yet, but I think I'll make a rack of lamb for DH and I. We won't see my family this year, but we usually have lamb, so this will be a nice treat.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
natyLad|1303150221|2899213 said:
We are greeks and the traditional Easter menu contains lamb and potatoes roasted in the oven and cooked with olive oil, lemon juice, oreganon, thyme and garlic as a main dish. Also, tzatziki, which is a spread made of yoghurt, cucumber, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper, at least two salads (one greek salad made with tomatoes, cucumber, sliced onions, sliced green peppers, olives, feta cheese, oreganon, balsamic vinegar and olive oil and one made of roman lettuce and fresh onions), cheese pies with home made puff pastry and filled with feta, yellow graviera cheese and kasseri cheese and of course the boiled eggs which we paint red and they are the most important element of the Easter table!!! After lunch, we have coffee with the traditional Easter cookies :cheeky: slurp-slurp!!!

Seriously, Natylad, post some recipes PLEASE!!!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've made sauce and meatballs already, so all I have to buy is manicotta and stuffed shells, and then I'll let my husband decide which he wants on Sunday. We bought a small 12 lb. Shady Brook turkey for me, and I'll round out the meal with salad, fresh Italian bread, a mozzerella & tomato platter with EVOO and balsamic, and lots of fresh veggies and potatoes for me. Dessert? I'll bake cookies and we'll bring home some Italian pastry. I think that's it. I love leftovers!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
This sounds like heaven. All of it.

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock

natyLad, we are Armenian so the meal will be very similar--always lamb on Easter! The red eggs are very important to us too although I'm not exactly sure why!! My parents actually dye them with red onion skins which is some old school tradition that I should probably learn. ;))

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well it appears I am going to my Mom's and we are having
Ham
Mashed potatoes
sweet potatoes
corn
green beans
coleslaw
deviled eggs
bread
pineapple upside down cake
chocolate cake

and the whatever else my over the top sister can think of....dang i hate these get togethers, too much stress...I might have to think about staying home and having it just for my little family

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Silly Wabbit.

e.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Leg of Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world, have mercy on us.

O, and Blood Orange Meringue Pie

sctsbride09

Brilliant_Rock
Blood orange meringue pie?? :o WHY have I never thought of that?! That sounds SOOO good VapidLapid, thanks for the idea!

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing. Hubby will be away for work, and I am in gloom town due to upcoming loss of employment. I forgot it was Easter until a few friends invited me over. Turned down all of them. Just going to mope around at home with wine and icecream. :(sad

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
We are going to MIL's for Easter dinner and I am sure she will be making a ham and mashed potatoes, at the very least. Since DH and I are vegetarians I am thinking of making a seitan loaf to bring for the 2 of us. Either that or some sort of pasta dish. I will probably make deviled eggs as well.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
ok, here is my recipe for blood orange meringue pie:

First make the blood orange reduction.

Juice of 3 blood oranges
(take the zest from on of them first for later)
juice of one lemon.

reduce in saucepan over low heat until a syrup.
I use whatever pulp falls in when juicing them , not too particular. if you need a smoother texture strain the pulp out first.
after reducing add the juice of another lemon. This will restore some tartness. Set aside to cool.

Make the dough

I do this in a food processor. keep pulsing and handling to an absolute minimum.
8 tablespoons Butter at room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
mix to fluffiness
add 1 egg
mix to incorporated
1 1/2 cups flour
mix to holds together
gather the dough into a ball and flatten somewhat lightly to a disk.cover and refrigerate 30 minutes to rest the dough.

Roll the dough out to about 3/16 inch thick (4mm) . This dough is very fragile. I use spatulas that fit completely under it and it still falls apart. Dont worry just piece it together filling in the breaks. crimp the edge. refrigerate again 20 minutes to rest the gluten in the dough. Cook shell for 15-20 minutes at 400º F. You may want to use ball chain weights in the bottom of pan, I don't.

While shell is baking make the lemon curd

over a hot water bath combine 3 eggs
1 egg yolk (from the eggs you separate for the meringue)
the blood orange reduction
3/4 cup sugar
whisk this constantly till it thickens to a consistency like yogurt, about 10 minutes.
add the minced orange zest
add one tablespoon at a time 4 tablespoons soft butter. Imagin you are making something between a hollandaise and a custard.

pour this into the pie shell. lower oven temperature to350º. Return pie to oven for about 8 minutes. This is to set the curd. Do not let it dry out or brown. This gives just enought time to

make the meringue

4 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 cup sugar
whip till it forms soft peaks.

pile it on the pie spread it around making sure no curd is left exposed. Back in the oven for 10-15 minutes.

cool, chill, eat. keep refrigerated if any is leftover (unlikely)

bloodjuice.jpg

reduction.jpg

curding.jpg

whites.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

pie.jpg

served.jpg

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
My mom will be away, so my dad, my husband, and I are going out to dinner. Easter's not a big holiday for our family, and I kept forgetting Easter was coming until the other day. I'm glad I got a reservation!

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
We're going to my parents, and I'm bringing carbomb cake (thanks Clairitek!)! This is more work than I've ever taken on, so wish me luck...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results