shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald sellers

vinkalmann

Shiny_Rock
I was wanting to look into emeralds a bit and am having trouble finding a site I had seen a while ago. I found Serenity Diamonds with no problem, but I remember that there was another site for a guy that was working out of Arizona, it might have been New Mexico. Does that ring a bell to anyone?

Thanks in advance!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Have you looked into Embassy Emeralds?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This emerald company is out of Arizona, but I have never used them. I cannot vouch for how reputable they are. A good emerald dealer should be willing to provide an AGL memo or report with full treatment at an extra price. I wouldn't pay for an expensive emerald without one. I do know that Josh of serenitydiamonds is willing to do that (his office is right down the street from AGL).

http://www.azemerald.com/

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Someone had a really awesome emerald on oneworldgemstone about a year ago. I cant remember who but it was lovely. Might be worth looking into, could be avail still.

vinkalmann

Shiny_Rock
TL|1302966537|2897725 said:
This emerald company is out of Arizona, but I have never used them. I cannot vouch for how reputable they are. A good emerald dealer should be willing to provide an AGL memo or report with full treatment at an extra price. I wouldn't pay for an expensive emerald without one. I do know that Josh of serenitydiamonds is willing to do that (his office is right down the street from AGL).

That's the one! Thank you!

For some reason I couldn't find it again. I will definitely be on the lookout for sellers that offer AGL or equivalent. That's one thing I've taken away from this site :)

This is kind of off topic from the thread title, but I was hoping to get a sanity check. My wife's 40th birthday is coming up and I wanted to get her something special. I was thinking about purchasing a pair of emeralds and having them mounted into studs for earrings. I have a budget of $1500, maybe a bit more. Will I be able to find nice stones, say .50 carats each for this amount, or am I way off base?

vinkalmann

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I will check them out :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
vinkalmann|1303148031|2899179 said:

For some reason I couldn't find it again. I will definitely be on the lookout for sellers that offer AGL or equivalent. That's one thing I've taken away from this site :)

This is kind of off topic from the thread title, but I was hoping to get a sanity check. My wife's 40th birthday is coming up and I wanted to get her something special. I was thinking about purchasing a pair of emeralds and having them mounted into studs for earrings. I have a budget of $1500, maybe a bit more. Will I be able to find nice stones, say .50 carats each for this amount, or am I way off base?

Pairs typically cost more per carat, but I think you can find a pair of lighter toned Colombian emeralds for that price. If you want very deep saturated Muzo green with faint to no treatment, then $1500 would not be enough.

vinkalmann

Shiny_Rock
TL|1303149509|2899201 said:

Pairs typically cost more per carat, but I think you can find a pair of lighter toned Colombian emeralds for that price. If you want very deep saturated Muzo green with faint to no treatment, then $1500 would not be enough.

Thanks, good to know that I'm not totally off base. But I'm thinking maybe I should wait until I have a bigger budget so I can get something really special. This is totally a subjective question of course, but do you think she would be happy with lighter stones? Would you be happy to receive them as a present or would you be disappointed?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
vinkalmann|1303235581|2900203 said:
TL|1303149509|2899201 said:

Thanks, good to know that I'm not totally off base. But I'm thinking maybe I should wait until I have a bigger budget so I can get something really special. This is totally a subjective question of course, but do you think she would be happy with lighter stones? Would you be happy to receive them as a present or would you be disappointed?

I'm not your wife, and I'm really super picky about emeralds, so for me, I probably would be happy, but not over the moon. That's kind of like asking Liz Taylor (RIP) if she'd be happy with a three carat diamond ring, probably not, but 99% of most women would be. I think lighter toned emeralds are very pretty, and I would play them up in high karat yellow gold. If your wife is really picky about emerald color, then I would probably wait. If she isn't, then I think they would be a very nice and special gift. You don't have to spend a fortune to get something beautiful.

vinkalmann

Shiny_Rock
Thanks TL, that's what I was looking for! I really want to get something special so I only have to do it once. I don't really want to get something decent only to want to get something better down the road, you know?

Do you think if I aim my search at something smaller say .30 carats each would I save a significant amount of money? I got her a pair of yellow sapphire earrings that were .75 carats each and those were a bit big I think.

vinkalmann

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Joshua.

A quick question about your site. Do you carry additional stones from the ones listed on your site? I wouldn't be purchasing for several months, but when I'm ready would I tell you what I'm looking for and then you help me find something suitable? How does it usually work?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
vinkalmann|1303322336|2901031 said:
Thanks TL, that's what I was looking for! I really want to get something special so I only have to do it once. I don't really want to get something decent only to want to get something better down the road, you know?

Do you think if I aim my search at something smaller say .30 carats each would I save a significant amount of money? I got her a pair of yellow sapphire earrings that were .75 carats each and those were a bit big I think.

Well first of all, I dislike yellow sapphires, so don't ask my opinion on them, LOL!

Secondly, if you go down in carat weight, it might not sit well with her. Some women like larger stones vs better color, or vice versa. I think a half carat emerald faces up like a one carat sapphire, so if you do 75 point sapphires in each ear, that would be downsizing "face up" size from half carat emeralds in each ear.

Now, you could do neon yellow chrysoberyls in each ear, if you're wanting to do yellow stones. I think that's a way better option than yellow sapphires. :naughty: You would get more bang for your buck too, and they are untreated (as far as I know).

vinkalmann

Shiny_Rock
Ah that's interesting, I hadn't thought that they would face up differently. So to confirm, a emerald of a given weight will tend be larger face up than a sapphire of the same weight.

She definitely understands that color is king over size. We did a lot of looking at stones online after she got her engagement ring and she educated herself.

I'm definitely not wanting to get anything else yellow, the earrings she got are enough.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
vinkalmann|1303329283|2901104 said:
Ah that's interesting, I hadn't thought that they would face up differently. So to confirm, a emerald of a given weight will tend be larger face up than a sapphire of the same weight.

She definitely understands that color is king over size. We did a lot of looking at stones online after she got her engagement ring and she educated herself.

I'm definitely not wanting to get anything else yellow, the earrings she got are enough.

Corundum is much more dense than beryls, so yes, an emerald will face up about twice the size of the same carat weight of a sapphire

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results