shape
carat
color
clarity

Photos finally here! 3.87 carat, rose cut.

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I finally got around to taking a few photos of my ring.

It's a rose cut marquise! I wasn't even looking for a marquise but knew I wanted a rose cut. This one just happend to sing to my heart. :twirl:

Okay, so here are the specs, although I still need to have this diamond graded:

3.78 rose cut marquise, although it is mounted flat side up. Which I thought was weird, but I like the ring so much I am unsure if I will remount it facet side up.
19.6 x 9.2 mm
Original platinum setting dates around 1880's to 1910's.
Color is L
Clarity is Si1

I am lousy at taking photos! I don't know you all take the most awesome photos of your rings! There's a few fuzzies on the ring in the close up shots, other than taking a sticky roller to it (which I didn't do) I couldn't seem to get them all off. :roll:

The ring will be a right hand ring, but I couldn't focus my camera and take photos of it on my right hand so it is on my left hand. I have never taken my wedding band off--after 26 years of marriage, so it wasn't coming off for these photos either....lol

Hand Shot 001.jpg

Back of ring.jpg

Front of ring.jpg

Ring in Box.jpg

slg47

Ideal_Rock
wow! I have never seen a rose cut marquise...it's beautiful!!!! congratulations and if you get a chance...we need more pics :)

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring! I adore rose cuts and actually actively search for all shapes of rose cuts (marquise included) all the time :) I've never seen one so large though! It's beautiful and wear it in good health! :love:

PS. If you want some more rose cut eye candy www.singlestone has quite a few. I tried one on while I was there and they are SO beautiful!

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock
vintagelover229|1303138793|2899074 said:
Beautiful ring! I adore rose cuts and actually actively search for all shapes of rose cuts (marquise included) all the time :) I've never seen one so large though! It's beautiful and wear it in good health! :love:

PS. If you want some more rose cut eye candy www.singlestone.com has quite a few. I tried one on while I was there and they are SO beautiful!

vintagelover229...fixed your link! :wavey:

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
*gobsmacked* :twirl: That is FANTASTIC. I love it!

I know it's not quite as "open" (and I don't suppose you can read through it), but with that window, it's a bit like a portrait diamond!

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
it's beautiful =)

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Stunning!!! That stone looks amazing!

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
Whoa! That's spectacular. Let's see more pictures!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks like and incredible ring! :love: We need some close-ups, though!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks like and incredible ring! :love: We need some close-ups, though!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
What a beautiful and unique ring! We need some more pics!! :bigsmile:

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Amazing! Where on earth did you find such a unique treasure?

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow! It is breathtakinginly gorgeous! Wow...I really had to pick my jaw up off of my monitor when I opened the thread. It's is stunning. Many congrats!

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone! Yes, I know it has tons of light leakage and isn't a perfectly cut diamond for today's standards but I really do love it.

I think the time spent finding the perfect ring taught me a lot about what I like. I seriously spent months and months in a lot of jelwery stores looking for the perfect ring and I never saw one thing I liked--which is totally ridiculous I know--my husband commented on that several times. ;-)

Then I found I like vinatge cuts of diamonds and vintage platinum settings. Be still my heart!

I was worried about it being an Si1. I've never bought anything under a VVS1 and worse yet, I was buying it online and the seller photos were super duper close up where you can see every little inclusion. The seller was very honest about the ring and she she told me the diamond was eye clean, and that is looking from every angle and not only that, if you held the diamond 1 inch from your eyes you still wouldn't be able to see any inclusions. She was so right!

Ninama--what is a portrait diamond? I dont' think I've ever seen one, but I'm curious! :)

kelpie--I found it online --they have tons of really nice vintage rings with larger diamonds. When I first saw it I was interested in it, but it was already sold. Then after several months the seller contacted me and let me know the original buyer for the ring had some financial difficulties and would not be able to complete the purchase and was I interested? Heck Ya! This same seller also has a oval rose cut that measures 13 x 10mm. It is in it's original gold setting with a foil backing. I believe it is an I color. This ring is under $5k and I seriously almost bought it along with the marquise ring. I still might go back and snatch it up-- I wonder how much I have left over in my jewelry fund?????? I might have to do a "honey please" on that tonight...I'd better whip up something good for dinner! :wink2: It would be a risk, because the diamond has a few small black dots in it, but the seller thinks they are from the foil backing and not on the diamond itself. I talked to JBEG about setting it for me--maybe in the new halo setting they have...what is that called the Gabbie or something like that. I seriously think the diamond in a new setting would be jaw dropping! Swoon! :love:

Taylorbug--Singlestone has an amazing rose cut vintage ring on their web site--it's the one in the platinum setting, although the gold setting is beautiful too. It really was between this ring and that platinum rose cut one. The decision was hard because I am really not a marquise person at all. I actually got engaged around the time that everyone was choosing a marquise for their e-rings, but I never want what everyone else has. I'm a twin and I call it a "twin thing"....lol.

I'll try to post a few closer up photos, BUT my macro lense on my camera makes my eyes go crazy--I swear after I use it I can't focus my eyes on anything for a week! The last few times I used it I literally felt sea sick for three days. I have the Nikon D90 with the 60mm macro lense....does anyone else have this camera/ lense and can help me figure out how to use that lense?

Hugs,
MDS

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
MyDiamondSparkles|1303151207|2899219 said:
Ninama--what is a portrait diamond? I dont' think I've ever seen one, but I'm curious! :)

They're curious things! I just started a portrait diamond thread over on Antique and Vintage Jewelry so as not to hijack this one with images...

Loving that ring of yours... one of my new all time faves!

Link to portrait diamond images:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/portrait-diamond-jewelry.159572/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/portrait-diamond-jewelry.159572/[/URL]

:kiss:

brina_ca

Rough_Rock
Amazing...amazing.... :love:

Btw, what's rose cut? Sorry, newbie's question. :wink2:

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
That's gorgeous! The setting is beautiful, and I'd love to see some closeups of both the diamond and the setting.

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This ring is of such elegance and historical with it's setting date in the 1880's. I would love to see up close imagery of this beautiful ring. It might not be the best quality stone but you have a stone that is rare to have and that is the most important thing.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Wow, what a beautiful piece! ::)

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the one I tried on at singlestone http://www.singlestone.com/index.php?page=collections&catID=14&pID=372&startRow=14
I loved this ring (it was 15k when I was looking at it) however it does have some carbon spots that I can see with my eyes (although it's the eye clean from 20" away or so). It really was beautiful but I understanding how unnerving it must have been buying and SI site unseen! Had I bought the one from singlestone (if I could have even afforded it lol) before seeing it in person I would have ended up returning it. Not that it's not beautiful because it is very beautiful! However I really do want something eye clean and until I saw it in person (couldn't see anything in the photos) I had thought it would be okay. It's hard to tell what antique jewelery looks online, it wasn't until I visited singlestone that I ever saw lower colored stones IRL as well as OMC and OEC's. it was eye opening to see them all IRL instead of just pictures online ::)

I can't wait to see more pictures! And I hope you get the second rose cut...they are just unique and beautiful and I would love to see one in a JBEG setting :love:

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Oh holy cow! Another vintage cut to love, love, LOVE! The seller I am working with has a diamond like this but she called it a sheild cut, I really liked it too. I just love how the diamonds are see through--it's way cool! :love:

Thanks for sharing the info with me Ninama...I am going to have to hope on over to the topic post and take another look!

Hugs,
MDS

Ninama|1303154381|2899281 said:
MyDiamondSparkles|1303151207|2899219 said:

They're curious things! I just started a portrait diamond thread over on Antique and Vintage Jewelry so as not to hijack this one with images...

Loving that ring of yours... one of my new all time faves!

Link to portrait diamond images:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/portrait-diamond-jewelry.159572/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/portrait-diamond-jewelry.159572/[/URL]

:kiss:

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Here a bit of info on rose cut diamonds:

http://www.modernjeweler.com/web/online/Diamond-Gem-Profiles/Rose-Cut-Diamond/2%24285

and here is a good "drawing" of the cut itself: http://www.topazery.com/antique-diamonds.htm

You can also search the forum for rose cut and see what pops up. I am not sure if anyone here has a rose cut, it seems like a few of you do. Wait, isn't it kelpie with that awesome rose cut wedding band????

Hugs,
MDS

brina_ca|1303154555|2899286 said:
Amazing...amazing.... :love:

Btw, what's rose cut? Sorry, newbie's question. :wink2:

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
"Hold up, vintagelover229!" (She says with her hands on her hips). "What are you doing with MY ring!" LOL!

That's it! That's the one! Well, I am sort of relieved to hear that it had a few carbon spots b/c that would bother me too and I also would have returned it. I do remmeber that Singeltone told me that diamond was prettier than the one they have in the gold setting though, and the gold setting one is $25k if I remember correctly. The platimum one I was just talking about was $16K, so prices keep going up. Drats!

Hugs,
MDS

vintagelover229|1303160706|2899405 said:
This is the one I tried on at singlestone http://www.singlestone.com/index.php?page=collections&catID=14&pID=372&startRow=14
I loved this ring (it was 15k when I was looking at it) however it does have some carbon spots that I can see with my eyes (although it's the eye clean from 20" away or so). It really was beautiful but I understanding how unnerving it must have been buying and SI site unseen! Had I bought the one from singlestone (if I could have even afforded it lol) before seeing it in person I would have ended up returning it. Not that it's not beautiful because it is very beautiful! However I really do want something eye clean and until I saw it in person (couldn't see anything in the photos) I had thought it would be okay. It's hard to tell what antique jewelery looks online, it wasn't until I visited singlestone that I ever saw lower colored stones IRL as well as OMC and OEC's. it was eye opening to see them all IRL instead of just pictures online ::)

I can't wait to see more pictures! And I hope you get the second rose cut...they are just unique and beautiful and I would love to see one in a JBEG setting :love:

Wow more pics please! That is a very unique piece... I can't say I've seen anything on PS quite like that... and that is saying a lot! :appl: :love:

Farleysmom

Brilliant_Rock
STUNNING!!!!!! what a gorgeous ring. More picture please. :appl: :appl: :appl:

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MyDiamondSparkles|1303166233|2899472 said:
"Hold up, vintagelover229!" (She says with her hands on her hips). "What are you doing with MY ring!" LOL!

That's it! That's the one! Well, I am sort of relieved to hear that it had a few carbon spots b/c that would bother me too and I also would have returned it. I do remmeber that Singeltone told me that diamond was prettier than the one they have in the gold setting though, and the gold setting one is $25k if I remember correctly. The platimum one I was just talking about was $16K, so prices keep going up. Drats!

Hugs,
MDS

LOL! Well I know someone has great taste then :naughty: Yeah the carbon spots were front and center too :(sad Had they been some place off to a side or you could see them from only a certain angle I wouldn't have minded so much. But sure enough when I saw it there are about 3 little black dots right on the face of it. Such a shame too because it's such a beautiful stone! It would make a killer pendant though! :love:

You must show us this other one that you may get (of course after you get it. Don't need it stolen out from under ya!). I search ebay all the time for rose cuts. I saw this adorable baby rose cut (.25 carat) in a YG and black enamel setting and it was so beautiful! It went for close to 300.00 but it just wasn't quite what I was looking for. Should have gotten though anyways because these little buggers are hard to find without them being all wonky and lopsided (which are beautiful in their own right but I want the disco ball look :D )

Luminous-MB

Rough_Rock
Trade
Gorgeous :love: Congrats

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
very cool looking!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results