shape
carat
color
clarity

Moving with Cats

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
As some of you know, I'll be moving from Los Angeles to Chicago. DH is going to drive my car and ship his car. The moving company will collect our stuff shortly before DH takes off.

I'll be Home Alone, with no TV, no Computer, no Car and no furniture (we're leaving the sectional sofa) for about 2 weeks. I want all our stuff to arrive before I bring the cats.

I have 3

Electra is 12 and will go on board with my Mother in Law. She has a tendency to try to escape those nylon soft carriers - she tries to tear through the mesh. I have a leather carrier that is much more secure - the mesh is made of rubber that she can't tear through. I'm hoping it is airline approved.

Seth has his red size Medium Sherpa bag and has no issues with escape - especially since he gets his acepromazine.

Wellington (formal feral) will have to go in cargo as checked baggage. While completely tame and able to be completely handled at home, he reverts back to skittish survival mode when somewhere else. Getting him in the carrier is going to be impossible without acepromazine. Then I'll take him to the vet, on the way to the airport, to get his rabies shot and Health Certificate.

Any advice?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Jennifer, I've done many moves with cats, including 3 intercontinental ones. One cat, on the move from Europe to San Francisco (2 plane changes) was a former feral one who tamed up only with DH & was a total banshee-tiger-demon when afraid. She even scared the crap out of vets! She did fine w/out meds.

Be careful with tranquilizers -- they can do more harm than good when a cat is under stress -- google it & see what you think. In fact, try googling "moving with cats." There is a lot of good advice online. I tranked my cat once but never did it again -- don't think it helped & in my experience they HATE the feeling, so start out stressed, & I've read the combination can cause them to overheat.

For flying, essential in cargo, I strongly advise use ONLY of Varikennels. (That's a brand name.) NEVER a fabric or thin plastic carrier that can be torn or broken by other luggage, conveyer belts, etc. Varikennels aren't cheap, but how much is your cat's life worth to you? To her? They're the only thing you can count on to take that kind of punishment. Other makes just aren't as sturdy. For extra security I run strong tape around it to keep the door closed in the case of something weird happening that would open it. Not string or rope that could catch on something.

Put something you've worn in the kennel to give her a familiar scent, it's reassuring. Varikennels come w/a little attachable water dish, which I filled, but didn't get the impression my cats drank any. Good idea for them to fly on an empty stomach so they don't throw up. But they will be thirsty when you arrive.

As long as their carrier is secure they should do fine. Mine didn't seem traumatized & were back to normal quickly. Good luck!!

--- Laurie

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I don't like the idea of pets flying in cargo. It just seems cruel to me having them locked up like that, alone, for hours, terrified. :errrr: Have you thought about having Wellington ride along with your DH in the car? When my DH and I moved from Chicago to San Fran, and back again, our cat loved riding in the car. She had her own little set up in the back seat, with pillows and blankets and just hung out there and watched the scenery. She didn't even need to be in a carrier.

We did use some kitty xanax for her first move from Orlando to Chicago, because we weren't sure of how she would handle it, but it broke my heart to see her all doped up and having her eyes roll back in her head from the drugs, so we vowed never to do that to her again.

Good luck on your move. And welcome to my city! :wavey:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, Jennifer. Unfortunately, we are pros at moving cats cross-country, so I'll share my thoughts, make of them what you will.

I'm in agreement with JewelFreak on tranq-ing any of the kitties, especially the one you are planning to transport via cargo. In fact, at one point (I haven't checked recently) some airlines refused to accept animals that had been sedated because the risk of death and hypothermia is so high. Our vet vehemently recommended against it.

Secondly, don't wait until you get to the airport to find out that the leather carrier you are "hoping" is airline approved is not, in fact, permitted on the plane. I have been on two flights in the last 3 years where someone was forced to leave the plane or not permitted to board because the carrier did not meet the airlines specifications. And each airline has very specific rules. What is approved on one airline is not permitted on another.

I also like Lil Misfit's suggestion for trying to avoid sending Wellington in cargo. We have transported several cats cross-country by car, and for the most part they did very well. And, not to give you nightmares, but after observing how carelessly and roughly some crated animals were loaded into the cargo holds, I would never transport any animal I loved in the cargo hold of an airplane if there were any other option available.

Good luck, I hope the move goes smoothly for you!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We'll be worrying about this soon too, as we'll be at the very least moving to a new apt once DH graduates. One of ours has feline corona virus, had acute hepatitis a couple of years ago that the vet initially diagnosed as FIP - she still says he's a miracle cat. We'll be driving to wherever we're going, and we've been told that FIP can be triggered by stress, so if it's a long drive we're planning to start taking our three on drives in their carriers, get them used to sitting for hours in a box in a moving vehicle.

I couldn't put any of ours in cargo, for simple safety reasons - I don't trust the airline to check temperatures, storage maintenance, etc., and I don't trust overworked, underpaid cargo staff with the life and health of my pets - I don't trust them with the life and health of my suitcases, and experience suggests that I'm wise not to do so! Our vet strongly recommends against tranquilizing pets to fly.

Isn't there any way DH could drive with Wellington (he sounds like he'd be a handful on-board esp. if you have another cat to take care of)? Or, worst case scenario, could you leave him for a day or two with friends and fly back for him? Anything to avoid cargo.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Could you buy the third ticket in whatever row you're sitting? Maybe they'd let you travel with an extra carrier in the cabin if you "owned" the third seat too?

Too bad there's not a way to find out who else is going to be on your flight ... you could offer someone $$ to hand carry on your 3rd cat if my Plan A doesn't work.

Good luck! .

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
I moved with two cats from the east coast to the west coast. I drove them across country for 3 days. One was 15 at the time, the other 6. We stayed at Super 8s at night since they allow pets. I would be too scared to have them fly cargo.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just moved with my 3 cats and we drove them. It was about a 5 hour drive, though, so obviously a lot closer than your move. We didn't have our furniture for 4 days total and the cats were fine with it. Is there any way all 3 can drive out with your husband? Once we got to our new place, I kept them in the bedroom and that definitely helped them feel safer.

If it was a longer trip that involved a flight I definitely wouldn't be comfortable with putting mine in cargo. Is there any way your husband can drive Wellington with him? What I ended up doing for the drive was put all 3 cats in a good sized wire dog kennel/crate with a bed. Then my sister (who was riding with me) figured out that they were happier if the crate was covered so she covered the top and sides with a blanket. They snuggled adorably for most of the trip after they settled down.

I could definitely do the same set up for a longer car ride and they would be fine. Do yours get along? They might be happier if they take the trip together. Mine get along for the most part although they do sometimes fight with each other, and I was surprised at how well they did all together. They definitely were happier than if I had put them in separate carriers. We did that a couple times before the move when we had showings of our house and they were basically hysterical. Olivia (in my avatar) was actually throwing herself against the side of the carrier.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd consider having the cat(s) drive with your husband rather than put him(them) on the plane, unless that's not an option for some reason. I've never flown with our 2 cats but we drove them 16 hours when we moved, and then 16 hours back when we returned home a year later. I had both cats in the backseat of my car in a dog crate. They didn't like being there but they got used to it after a while. We didn't sedate them. I think our vet gave us a mild sedative just in case, but we never used it. We got a big enough carrier that the cats could fit comfortably with a little dish of food and water, and we also put a make-shift litter box in the crate too. We spaced the trip out and made it in 3 days (2 nights at pet-friendly hotels).

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I agree that taking cats by car is far better than flying them in cargo -- in fact, than flying them at all. Didn't say so because it looked kind of like you had a lot on your plate & had decided.

We moved w/an old cat & a dog to this house -- drove 2 days. I used a puppy-size wire dog crate for the cat -- it had enough room for a small litter box (got a plastic box at Target or somewhere), and also for plenty of cozy stuff to lie on, but was small enough to fit on the back seat. He was fine -- made noise the first couple hours, then settled well into his little condo. I felt good he was secure & comfy at the same time.

When we arrived, we found we couldn't get into our house for 2 more weeks (another story!) & so stayed in a hotel. I put the cat in his crate when we went out (took dog along), with a note to maids DO NOT TOUCH, and only while we were there, let him roam around the room. Cats are not happy in unfamiliar surroundings, but he did ok. He sure doesn't remember it now, so it must not have been too traumatic. Next time we move I plan to do the same thing -- could even use a slightly bigger crate & put my 2 cats in it.

--- Laurie

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1301410336|2882586 said:
Could you buy the third ticket in whatever row you're sitting? Maybe they'd let you travel with an extra carrier in the cabin if you "owned" the third seat too?

Too bad there's not a way to find out who else is going to be on your flight ... you could offer someone $$ to hand carry on your 3rd cat if my Plan A doesn't work.

Good luck! .

Usually airlines have a 2 animal limit in the cabin. So unless one of them is on a different flight... not gonna be much help.

Also you may want to check to see if they will require you to take the cats out at the security check point and carry them through. Your escape artist might make a break for it. I undestand why you are picking the feral for the cargo (taking him through security would probably be a nightmare). But I 100% agree he should be IN a Vari kennel.

We drove cross country with ours. 5 days. Hit a snowstorm. Got stranded. And have done other smaller moves (just did one a couple days ago). We had three and didn't want to have any of them fly as cargo. If I had to do it again? I'd still drive with them. Flying with three... not something I'd feel safe doing, personally. Maybe with one.

NO DRUGS on flights. It is a BAD combo. Unless they are for you.

Good luck.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1301447211|2883104 said:

Good luck! .

Usually airlines have a 2 animal limit in the cabin. So unless one of them is on a different flight... not gonna be much help.

[b]Also you may want to check to see if they will require you to take the cats out at the security check point and carry them through. [/color[/b]]Your escape artist might make a break for it. I undestand why you are picking the feral for the cargo (taking him through security would probably be a nightmare). But I 100% agree he should be IN a Vari kennel.

We drove cross country with ours. 5 days. Hit a snowstorm. Got stranded. And have done other smaller moves (just did one a couple days ago). We had three and didn't want to have any of them fly as cargo. If I had to do it again? I'd still drive with them. Flying with three... not something I'd feel safe doing, personally. Maybe with one.

NO DRUGS on flights. It is a BAD combo. Unless they are for you.

Good luck.

I forgot to mention this, but unless things have changed drastically in the last year, you will definitely have to remove the cats from their carriers and go through the scanners in the airport holding them in your arms.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Regarding security. I've flown twice with kittens and asked for a private room. One time they left me and the cat in the room and ran the carrier through x-ray and the other time they just manually checked the carrier in the secure room. Makes it much safer since the cat is confined in a room during the security check and can't escape if they freak out.

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
Yikes - I would be way too scared to put any of my pets in cargo. It just seems so risky.

When my family moved when I was little, we just drove with our cat in the car. The ride was at least 16 hours, and he did really well. Sure, he was a little bit freaked out, but he calmed down pretty quickly, and he didn't need tranquilizers or anything like that. We also had two dogs, a guinea pig, and a parakeet with us (in two different vehicles). It's probably a miracle, but everyone was just fine. :)

Good luck! :)

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Husband drove out 2 cats from Michigan to California. Crates on the back seat of the car and potty stops with kitties on leashes. (But he did travel with a litter box because that's all the cats were used to) He did not have a hard time finding motels along the way that allowed pets. I guess they know people are traveling or moving. The whole pet-carrier-at-the-airport seemed like a lot of trouble and that was over 20 years ago. So I have no idea what they do for security with animals. Lots of advice here from seasoned travelers and movers and it seems most agree, traveling in the car is a safer method.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can. Your husband drive Wellington?

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1301469561|2883280 said:
Can. Your husband drive Wellington?

I don't trust him to. Maybe that is horrible of me to say, but he isn't attentive enough to the "little things" (especially in stressful situations), and I think the potential risk of escape exceeds the risk of cargo on a direct flight. Don't get me wrong, he is absolutely in love with all 3 of them - but, well, Electra escaped on his watch last summer. I found her 2 days later, after she had been bitten by a dog. She made a quick full recovery, thank goodness. Also, I'm the only person who can really physically "handle" Wellington. I don't think DH could get him in and out of the carrier - to clean the poop, feed, etc.

I have wrestled with the idea of all of us going in the car - but none of my cats are "easy going" and neither is DH. Also horrible of me to say (but the absolute truth), DH's driving gives me panic attacks on the highways. I'm not sure I would arrive in Chicago still wanting to be married to him - ok, that was a joke, but you get the idea.

Thanks to all of you for the responses - I am taking all into consideration and will respond personally tomorrow, after a good night's rest.

Question for those with Vari Kennels - do they have holes that can be zip tied on the 4 corners surrounding the door?

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you drive with your MIL and the cats? I would want to have as much control as possible and would personally prefer driving them myself, and if MIL could share some of the driving, that would be great. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn't mention this earlier but I'd be afraid to take a cat onto a plane because of people's allergies. Not that you should necessarily worry about everyone else, but it could make for an awkward and uncomfortable flight to find out that someone near you is highly allergic to cats.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel for the difficult situation you are in here. I agree with all those who said they would do anything they could so as not to take the cats on the plane (especially cargo) and I would try to figure out how to make the car trip with the cats work. There are just too many variables you cannot control on the plane trip and I would not want to chance the cats well being.

Sorry about the difficult situation you are in and I hope you find a good solution- best of luck!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Loves Vintage|1301477018|2883292 said:
Can you drive with your MIL and the cats? I would want to have as much control as possible and would personally prefer driving them myself, and if MIL could share some of the driving, that would be great. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

I was wondering about this too. Instead of shipping your husband'a car, he could drive it and you and your MIL could drive yours. That way, you could have the cats with you and his car could have the suitcases, whatever's needed for the trip, etc. You might be able to save $ too (I'm not sure what the cost is to ship a car).

Also, about the carrier. Ours are the hard plastic kind and they have two metal doors, one in front, and one on top. There are holes everywhere, and you could put zip ties on it as long as the ties are long enough.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Zoe's idea about the 2nd car is a good one. Safest of all. The whole thing is a major pain but that's the drill with moving, ack. It will be over quickly. I do empathize about your doubts about DH -- mine is the same. Loves the animals to pieces but is not attentive to potential perils -- can't count the times I've said, "You've got to think ahead, Buddy!" A few awful situations have happened when he didn't. Maybe it's a guy thing.

If you mean zip ties during flight, not a good idea. Strong tape is better. Zip ties, like string, etc., can catch in conveyer belts & such, can easily be cut that way or cause a dangerous situation. There aren't holes in Vari kennels for that anyhow.

The other thing about flying with cats in the cabin: you have to keep them in the carrier under the seat. I did that with one cat & she nearly went insane in such a small crate; it really kind of scared me.

--- Laurie

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I've had the joy of taking cats on long flights. It's ... special. I've tried it with tranquilizers and without: in my experience, they're really not worth it. I do recommend a leash for your escape artist, though, as you *will* have to take him out to go through security if he's in the cabin with you. I don't think that's the case if he's going in the cargo hold ... but I'm sort of with everybody else in being nervous about the cargo hold.

BTW, in my experience (flying Delta and Jetblue with cats), they don't have a strict # of pets restriction, but they reserve the right to change their minds on you at the last second, and they tend to require enough people to match the animals. Maybe ask your mom if she could fly with you, and cover her ticket round-trip?

lulu

Ideal_Rock
We drive from Michigan to Florida every winter with three cats and the dog. No tranquilizers. We have a litterbox, water and food and we have a system set up to keep them in the way back when we stop. Sometimes we drive straight through and no problems so far. If we have to stop it's a Motel 6 since they take pets. I just couldn't do the cargo thing-too many horror stories.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
My husband moved our 2 cats from DC to CA on a direct fly. He purchased an extra seat and paid for 2 pet "privilege tickets" so he can bring BOTH cats in the cabin with him. We had selected a fly that is typically not too busy, and he was lucky enough to be given a row of empty seats. Since both boy cats are nervous wracks, he buckled in the pet carriers and put one hand each inside their soft carriers and petted their head to keep them calm during the whole 6 hours.

It worked out well for us and the cats required no tranquilizer. They were in as much ease as they could be. I don't know if you could possibly bring two cats with you so all 3 can be in the cabin area with their family!

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock

Good luck! .

I would LOVE that! But not allowed. And really why not? He could be in his larger secure hard sided carrier in the seat. I'd even give him the window. And the funny thing is, the cat's tickets to sit under the seat in front of us are more expensive than our tickets. And the cargo ticket - sooooo much more.

I'm feeling better today after the major panic attack I had last night. Turns out a lucid dream starring Julian Casablancas cures all ills. :naughty: Who knew?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry you are having panic attacks honey. ((HUGS)).

Okay so here are some thoughts. Call up different airlines and see about their policies on pets in the cabin and about their cargo holds (pressurized and climate controlled). Wellington on board is a good idea on one hand (no cargo) but on the other, since he is a challenge to get into the carrier, the security checkpoint might be a disaster. See about Matata's suggestion of a private room for the checkpoint either way. Get a metal free harness and leash on your escape artist, so when you take her out you can grab the leash.

We kept all three of ours in harnesses and leashes when we drove cross country. We let our cats roam the car (*snort* there wasn't much roaming with Duncan and Frodo huddled in the litter box together the minute we let them out). Whenever we opened a door one of us had all three leashes in hand. No one made a break for it, but it was added security for us.

We drove in a Camry, with 70/30 backseat fold down. We put the carriers in the seat (70) and folded down the last seat (30) so they could do in the trunk. Only thing in the trunk was food and litter box (opposite sides of the trunk). Hally stayed up in the front of the car with us and figured out that the only place she couldn't go was where the driver was (no lap kitty for the driver) and we blocked off all the under seat areas so no one could get stuck there or get under the pedals.

The cats did not eat or drink while we drove... all five days. At night and in the morning they would when we were in the hotel, but on the road... nope, too stressed.

I would try for a flight that is not too crowded, get to the airport early. And when you get to the gate, make sure you are nice to the gate personnel and see if you can get them to give you a row to yourself for you and your MIL or whatever.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results