shape
carat
color
clarity

Steven Kirsch custom E-Ring

fosure

Rough_Rock
I am thinking about getting Steven Kirsch to make my custom Engagement ring for me. I do have a few concerns, he says he does not make sketches or molds of the rings, he just works with the metal and goes from there. He did state that if I dont like it for some reason just return it and go on from there. I was hoping somone on here has used him before and wanted to know about the process and if I should let the worries fall and just trust his judgement. I like his work a bunch and he seems to push pave far and I am want a thin dainty band.

Thoughts and experiences?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You want a thin pave band? I think as long as you show him a picture of the style you want, then that is fine. But you absolutely have to be clear on what you are wanting. That's how Leon does it as well. Clear communication (by pictures) is the best way to work with these guys, I believe.

fosure

Rough_Rock
Is a "thin pave band" a bad idea? I am a total newbie to this whole thing. I found a diamond I am happy (old mine cushion) and thought it would be smooth sailing from there, but was mistaken. She liks the thin dainty looking ring. I could of mis spoken but the band/shank I want to have diamonds on it with as little metal look as possible, which I though was pave. Thin as in sub 2mm.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I was just asking if you wanted pave rather than a plain shank. I think you need to find a ring you like and ask him for a quote. I recommend not less than 1.8mm for durability, and I recommend pave on the top of the shank and not the sides assuming she wants to also wear a wedding band. Look through Leon Mege's gallery of rings and choose one or two to get a quote on. Or come here first and people can tell you pros and cons of the designs.

fosure

Rough_Rock
OK, thanks alot. I was looking at a few rings designs. One being based off Harry Winston's "the one" I think the Leon site calls it the Halo 811. http://www.micropave.com/index.php/engagement/adrianna-with-2-07-g-vs2-cushion.html ...pro's and con's?

I also was looking at just doing one from Ritani (non custom) Endless Love but with the cushion cut diamond I have and hopefully gettting the head of the ring to conform to the shape of the center diamond.
http://www.ritani.com/diamond_engagement_rings/item/474/in_collection/3 ...pro's and con's?

She does want a wedding band most def that would be matching of the band of the ring I choose. Thoughts welcome! :)

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
Steven is doing my engagement ring. I send him a few pics of ring design I was interested in and I personally met with him so that he could see my diamond and determine if the design would work with the stone. He seems very proud of his work and so far ive found him really easy to work with. I cant really comment on my ring as its still in the process of being made but I will update you when I receive it in the next 2-3 weeks. I also really like that he is willing to make a matching wedding band that will sit flush with my engagement ring.

I am not getting a ring with pave but pave was done really well on the rings he showed me in his office. Hope that helps and good luck :)

fosure

Rough_Rock
Yeah that helps as I was hoping for some responses from people that have actually done work with him.

I am down in Texas so not sure if I should make the flight up to NY or just go with it....we will see. :)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
fosure|1301335637|2881942 said:
Is a "thin pave band" a bad idea? I am a total newbie to this whole thing. I found a diamond I am happy (old mine cushion) and thought it would be smooth sailing from there, but was mistaken. She liks the thin dainty looking ring. I could of mis spoken but the band/shank I want to have diamonds on it with as little metal look as possible, which I though was pave. Thin as in sub 2mm.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/are-rings-too-thin-these-days.155780/page-2']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/are-rings-too-thin-these-days.155780/page-2[/URL]

Divided opinions on where to draw the line - like with most things. As you get thinner and then start punching holes to embed stones you're losing strength.. go into ownership of such a ring with eyes open, make it an educated choice, and prepare to handle it delicately if you want it to last with little maintenance - I would definitely have a long conversation with your chosen vendor about how to properly treat and care for a delicate piece like you're planning on. Pros of having handmade plat piece - if it's hammered it's denser so you can afford to go a little thinner w/o large compromise.

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
fosure|1301337937|2881971 said:
Yeah that helps as I was hoping for some responses from people that have actually done work with him.

I am down in Texas so not sure if I should make the flight up to NY or just go with it....we will see. :)

I actually met with Steven more because I was slightly nervous about sending my diamond registered mail than anything else. I know it is perfectly safe to do so but since I dont live very far from nyc I decided to drop it off personally. If you have a good idea of what you want I dont think you really need to make the trip all the way here. I communicated with Steven mostly through email and phone. However nyc in the spring is really nice and Stevens office is pretty close to time square so coming to nyc def could be a fun and romantic getaway :)

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
My pick is the Leon Mege over the Ritani.

I had Steven Kirsch make my 1.5mm wedding band. He did an excellent job and was really easy to work with. I did not receive a sketch but he did draw it out with his finger. Hehehe. I then got to try on the metal work to make sure I liked it. I found him to be a pleasure to work with ... really simple. We corresponded by email around what I wanted. I flew there and I went to see him and we talked for 5 minutes ... I left. I came back to try on the metal for another 2 minutes. I left and came back to pick up my ring .. another 3 minutes. He was able to read my mind. DONE!

With Leon, he gave me sketches for my ering but in the end we worked off pictures - this ring is also 1.5 mm with the split at around 1mm. For my fiance's wedding band, he just made it off pictures I mocked up for him. With Maytal, she made it off photos and no sketches too.

I wouldn't worry about sketches unless you are designing something completely different ... in that case .. you can sketch it out yourself too. I used to think these benches actually design but I don't think they design that much ... they make what we tell them and give us suggestions.

fosure

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the input!

Another question that I have, having such a thin shank/band on the E-ring cause problems if she wears a mathing wedding band with it?

I think I have decided to go with the halo 811 by LM but have SK make it and alter it a little bit, give it a bit of a lower profile and maybe add some support to the shank making it like 1.8mm or so compared to the 1.5 of the LM. Thoughts on this?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
fosure|1302027527|2888431 said:
Thanks for all the input!

Another question that I have, having such a thin shank/band on the E-ring cause problems if she wears a mathing wedding band with it?

I think I have decided to go with the halo 811 by LM but have SK make it and alter it a little bit, give it a bit of a lower profile and maybe add some support to the shank making it like 1.8mm or so compared to the 1.5 of the LM. Thoughts on this?

Wise choice if durability, longevity, and resistance to warping are important to you.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you made a good choice too. Please come back with pictures when it's done!!

fosure

Rough_Rock
so def 1.8mm but having it as a micro pave does should this cause any concern with her wearing a wedding band along with the Ering?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
fosure|1302032570|2888489 said:
so def 1.8mm but having it as a micro pave does should this cause any concern with her wearing a wedding band along with the Ering?

as long as it in only one sided pave. it's the 3 sided pave rings that can be damaged by a ring rubbing up against it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree...you'll likely be glad if you only have pave on the top of the shank.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results