shape
carat
color
clarity

BGD Blue-- should I buy it?

angelicchick

Rough_Rock
I've been flirting with buying a BGD Blue diamond but am hesitant because of fluorescence's bad rap. This diamond looks stunning, so I wanted to get PS's opinion on it before I made any decisions.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=BLAGS-104049675010

Do diamonds with strong fluorescence look blue under office lighting (which is generally fluorescent) or just UV lights? Thanks a lot for your help.

David44

Rough_Rock
I just got a strong blue J color from BGD and it faces up white outside and inside. Yours is very strong though so I don't know if that will be a difference or not. Apparently less than 2% of strong blue diamonds are hazy from fluorescence. On BGD blue page it states "Brian Gavin Blue diamonds are not negatively affected at all by fluorescence".

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful stone!! Can't help with your questions. I happen to love fluorescenc and only notice the blue in direct sunlight (mine is Very Strong Blue).

kauffee1

Rough_Rock
It looks really nice. Remember that BGD has a 15-day return policy. You can test its performance under various lighting conditions and see how you like it.

angelicchick

Rough_Rock
Swingirl- how blue does it look in direct sunlight? Like a pretty icy blue-white or BLUE?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Most in door lighting should not have enough UV component to activate the fluor to visible level.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you should take a chance and check it out in person. The savings for these SBF stones is amazing, and BGD has a great return policy. In addition, they would not sell a stone negatively affected by the SBF.

jsb1976

Rough_Rock
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/strong-blue-fluorescence-in-bright-sunlight.158817/

I purchased a strong blue BGD Blue diamond. The fluorescence only shows in direct, cloud free sunlight, and indoors with a UV light. I have tried all possible lighting conditions. LED flashlight, regular bulbs, halogen bulbd, the overhead lighting you are referring to. All diamonds will pick up the color of their surroundings. As long as you are able to accept the fluorescence showing through in the sunlight I say go for it. You will only be out the shipping if it is not your cup of tea.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
angelicchick|1301874040|2887059 said:
Swingirl- how blue does it look in direct sunlight? Like a pretty icy blue-white or BLUE?
I can't really answer because what my eyes see and like, yours may not. I agree with the others that recommend you see it in person and return it if you don't like the look. Returning is a fairly simple process and there are just some things you need to see and decide for yourself.

jsb1976

Rough_Rock
Just checked his website. WOW.... the blue diamonds are scarce at a lower pricepoint.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a small BGD J with strong blue flour...love it. I dont see the blue very often but I like it when I do.

angelicchick

Rough_Rock
Anddd Brian just raised the price $500. Not buying it :(

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sadly prices have been going up and we've been warned about it a lot on the forum. I was watching huggie hoops that went up $500 which was more than a 20% increase! Buyers of more expensive diamonds really need to take this information seriously, because prices are expected to only increase in the forseeable future. Sorry it happened to you, though!

angelicchick

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your help! I may still consider "blue" diamonds in the future!

aileron

Rough_Rock
Add me to the list of BGD Blue owners. I would echo the comments above, but, given the changed circumstances, I would call Brian Gavin and ask if he would be willing to consider selling the stone for the original price. Can't hurt.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results