carat
color
clarity

Long story, Opinions welcome :)

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello ladies and gents :)
I don't post often in Timeless Classics but I am definitely a BIG LOVER of old cuts. Ever since I was made aware of their existence (I'm kinda young) I have lusted for one of my very own. I didn't really know how to go about finding one except for wandering antique stores and estate sales. When I found Pricescope I kept my eyes out at the various recommended vendors, but all the loose stones were way out of my price range. So I figured I'd have to move on and admire the classic beauty of an OMC from a distance.
So I very recently decided to sell a few jewelry items that I didn't wear anymore, to purchase myself a RHR. I ended up winning a wonderful Legacy inspired diamond ring well under the actual value of the ring. Well after the excitement wore off from winning such a great ring, I realized it wasn't for me.
For about five years I have held onto my father's diamond wedding band and have wanted to remake it into something I could wear on a daily basis. It has a heavy gold weight to it and seven small diamonds, no more than 5 points each. For Christmas last year my mother got an upgraded engagement ring and gave me the original diamond, no more than 25 points.
It then hit me, why can't I resale the Legacy inspired that I just won and use the funds from that to pay for the labor of a RHR made from my father's wedding band and the diamond my mom gave me? Then another thought occurred to me, why do I have to have spend a lot on a perfect old cut stone? It's all about my love for the stone and love isn't always perfect right? So I searched again for something in my price range, I knew I wouldn't find anything above an SI in clarity, even if I was that lucky, but as long as I could see through it and sparkled I wasn't picky. I just love the romance and "chunkiness" of an old cut. My engagement ring is a three stone which I adore, and I wanted the same for my RHR creation.
For those of you still reading, Bare with me :) , I'm almost done :snore:
I've never had a custom anything made. So here I'm am, I'm going to share with you all my first custom journey from start to finish. So far I have gathered the supplies needed. I have found a great jeweler that is right down the street, a wonderful older but very experienced married couple that I have worked with before for smaller things like sizing, polishing, and prong fixing. I spoke with them on the phone and the seem happy to help so far. After all they said, "customs are their specialty".
I wish I could draw a good picture to show you all but I'm a horrible artist, so I'll explain the best I can.
My idea is a three stone, two tone white and yellow gold, twisted split shank diamond ring. I want each of the main stones to be held by a four petal tulip shaped piece of yellow gold metal each petal with a flush set diamond accent. The twisted split shank to be in white gold, this part is kind of hard to explain, but basically two "loops" on each side and in between the two loops a 25 point diamond. This part I might get a little backlash for, but the two side stones are going to be a little lopsided because they are not the same weight or shape. I have two OMC's one 22 point and one 31 point, but both are I1 in clarity and J in color. The center stone is an OEC 40 point SI3-I1 clarity and G in color. I have all the gold needed and and the diamonds needed, so the jeweler said they would just charge me labor which I assume will be based on difficulty and time. This makes me a little nervous because I have no idea what the labor could end up costing, but I'll go over all that when I have my first real consultation with them. I should receive the stones in the mail by Friday and have my consultation next weekend. They said they would create a sketch before they create the wax mold, so I'll come back and post pictures of the sketch when I have it. For now I just have a few images of the center diamonds and one of a tulip to give you an idea of shape. I want the whole ring to be smooth and shinny!
Seeing as how this is all new for me I welcome any opinions, just not too harsh please, it's going to be a sentimental piece.

o1.jpg

o2.jpg

fc5f_0.JPG

o5.jpg

stci

Ideal_Rock
Not sure you will like a three stones with these stones cause they are unequal and many.

We talk about a .22 - .40 - .31. But perhaps the size of .22 and .31 are identical? Always possible...

If you chose a setting where the diamonds are not in a row it would be less apparent. Just my 2cts.

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
stci|1299379182|2865790 said:
Not sure you will like a three stones with these stones cause they are unequal and many.

We talk about a .22 - .40 - .31. But perhaps the size of .22 and .31 are identical? Always possible...

If you chose a setting where the diamonds are not in a row it would be less apparent. Just my 2cts.

I know what you mean stci :) I was a little worried about that as well, but I really think I can make it work to where it's not too noticeable, thanks for reading my whole story by the way :) I know that was a long one!

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So go ahead and laugh if you want :lol: , but I tried my best to sketch my design, hopefully since your all jewelry people you'll be able to get the idea of what I'm going for...

DSC02655.JPG

sketch1.jpg

stci

Ideal_Rock
Your sketch say all Sweety! It's fabulous!

Seem this ring will be a treasure! Go go go!

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
stci|1299428655|2866034 said:
Your sketch say all Sweety! It's fabulous!

Seem this ring will be a treasure! Go go go!

:appl: :appl: Thank you stci! Coming from you I know that's an honest opinion, I will be back with updates as the process continues :D

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Looks like a really neat concept, but I am afraid your proportions maybe a little off. You are representing your .22/.31 OMCs as quite large in comparison to the .25cts that you are putting in the shank between the loops. Just something that may not translate exactly into a finished product.

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
poshpepper|1299535151|2866881 said:
Looks like a really neat concept, but I am afraid your proportions maybe a little off. You are representing your .22/.31 OMCs as quite large in comparison to the .25cts that you are putting in the shank between the loops. Just something that may not translate exactly into a finished product.

Funny you should mention that because it's really been bothering me as well, so.... The euro .40 original center stone is turning into a pendant and the .31 side stone has become the center, because.. I just found a .21 OMC for the other side stone!!! So now I feel like the whole piece is going to flow so much more smoothly. My ring in the making is going to be three OMC's side one .22, center .31 second side .21! I'm so much more comfortable with the stats now, AND the color and clarity match on all three :appl: I originally just could not find matching stones, so now I'm SOOO excited I found a great set.

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh ya, and I get what your saying about the side loop stones, my drawing is really not very good but basically I hoping the the gold in the piece will even it out a little, but what do you think, should I drop the loop stones?

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
I would say make the loop stones smaller like around .10 or even .05 to keep the final ring looking more like the sketch. If you keep the .25s there then you will basically have a stone almost as big as your center stone in the side... just depends on what look you are going for, I think either way could be pretty.

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks poshpepper! I think it will turn out nice too, I hope anyway :razz: . I think I'll keep the loop stones .25ct, which obviously will not match my sketch but that was a rough draft anyway. Only because one of the loop stones is the one my mom gave me, so I really wanted to incorporate it, But at the same time I want to keep the top stones OMC's for a more romantic feel to the ring.

In other news...
I have an update for the OEC that I'm turning into a pendant....
Ever heard of Patrick Irla?? I found two more OEC's, one .12ct and one .15ct. So I'm making a three stone pendant each diamond set in a gold Hydrangea :appl:
Keep your fingers crossed though, because I have not received a cost estimate yet :-o
And of course I had a budget to stick to for the ring, so for funding my pendant project I sold a solitaire diamond pendant and a dainty RHR. I'm really happy, I feel like I'm cleaning out my closet of stuff I never wear or appreciate and trading it in for things I'll adore. Besides so far the custom thing is really fun and intresting.

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wanna see some pictures??? 8)
Here are the two OEC side stones for the pendant...
The first one is the .12, VS1 H, and it's actually a Transitional I think.
The second is the .15, I1 J

e1.jpg

e2.jpg

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here are the Hydrangea's I was mentioning...

h1.jpg

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Cool, I am looking forward to seeing what your ring will look like & that necklace will be beautiful, I love those hydrangeas :love:

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are exciting projects and I can't wait to see how they turn out :appl: ! Those diamond pictures look great and Patrick Irla does amazing work; I've seen some of it in the colored stone forum.
Best of luck!

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
baby nurse|1299971486|2870386 said:
These are exciting projects and I can't wait to see how they turn out :appl: ! Those diamond pictures look great and Patrick Irla does amazing work; I've seen some of it in the colored stone forum.
Best of luck!

Thank you very much! I'm a bit anxious and trying to calm down and be patient. The custom process is a bit slower than I had aticipated, but it will be worth it, especially for the chance to work with Patrick Irla! :appl:
I have not had my first consulatation with the jeweler for my ring yet. It took longer than aticipated to receive my diamonds. So I'm suppose to meet with him this Friday or Saturday. I just got a response today from Patrick for the necklace, he is going to put together a sample for me sometime this week. I'll be back with updates, hopefully by next Sunday.

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Okay people, I need some opinions... Patrick sent me two images using stones the same size as my OEC's and I'm torn between both. Obviously these are rough drafts but what do you think, do you like one more than the other, he can also make changes to the two current designs.

image (1).jpg

image.jpg

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
RissaLou, I like the first design better. The drop, the flow of it... I just think it's a little more unique.

That said, I don't think you could go wrong with either!

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Echidna|1301890119|2887198 said:
RissaLou, I like the first design better. The drop, the flow of it... I just think it's a little more unique.

That said, I don't think you could go wrong with either!

I'm so glad you said that because I was thinking the same thing :appl:

dinamit

Shiny_Rock
I also vote for the first :twirl:

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
I was going to vote for the second because I liked the horizontal flow lines of it; however, reading about the drop of the first and picturing it again, I vote for the First one too! It's going to be beautiful either way.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I really like the first, it has a flow to it that the other just sort of lacks. I'm so excited to see your final products!!!

P.S. Your sketch was very neat ;)) I love how you're incorporating the small diamonds into the tulip heads.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the first also. It's going to be so gorgeous!

nikkikeith

Rough_Rock
i vote the first one too! and i think both projects are going to be so gorgeous :D

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So kind of sad news. The customs are going to cost a bit more than I had anticipated, so they are postponed, but just for a short while, two months to be exact. I really enjoy that you all have liked the projects so far. I can't wait to start them up again, so hang in there with me!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Rissa,
Love the necklaces...the first one is my favorite. Patrick made me a necklace like that with my one .46 diamond on
the side (stole the idea from MakingtheGrade). His work is beautiful and I've got lots of comments on my necklace.
Please post pics when you get it finished!

tyty333

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results