shape
carat
color
clarity

looking for a yellow stone

Asu

Shiny_Rock
Hi,i'm looking for a yellow stone,radiant/octagonal or a rectangular cushion cut.I'm trying to keep this on the cheap side,so I don't care what kind fo stone it is,as long as it is suitable for a ring.I want a ring in yellow gold to wear with my wde yellow gold wedding band,and the stone will be in a bezel.I'm looking on ebay,and so far I found a couple of citrines (but those are a little too orangy for my tastes),beryls and a chrysoberyl.I would love to find a zircon,but so far,no luck.Do you girls know any other yellow stone?
Thank you!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gemfix has some lovely radiant and cushion yellow zircons -- http://www.gemfix.com/zircon_yellow_green.html -- and I think they would look great in a yellow gold bezel setting. If this is to be a ring worn daily, remember that zircons are a softer stone on the Mohs scale, so less scratch-resistant than, say, quartz or topaz or sapphire (or of course diamond). If you decide zircons are too soft for your purpose, and citrines (quartz) are too orange-y for you, a nice champagne or golden topaz might work well for your project and should be relatively inexpensive.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They actually treat quartz these days to look a bright lemon yellow. You may find some calibrated material through a catalog like Rio Grande. I don't know how inexpensive you want to go, or if you care about treatments, but that's probably your least expensive option.

A zircon will most probably be damaged if you bezel it.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yellow sapphire but it may be tricky as they are often Be-treated (some vendors would provide a cert, though), some spesssartites are quite yellow, yellow citrines, of course. Yellow grossularites. Yellow Mexican opals (check Osirisgems). Chrysoberyls can be fantastic, check TL's thread about her new camera. Fantastic phots. Some golden beryls are stunning. Heliodor?

Brad from Thegemtrader always has some interesting stones.

As to citrine... I once bought such a lovely stone from Bob Kast. I have never checked it because of the price but the color is beautiful and his stones are more than affordable. Very likely it is treated lemon quartz but if you check my thread "some thingys from Bob Kast" you'll see (a very bad) photo of it.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
While I agree not all bench jewelers are able to bezel softer stones like zircons, in the right hands it can be done successfully. Here's my blue zircon (from Gemfix) which was expertly bezelled by Art of Art's Gallery (etsy):

blue%20zircon%20ring%20-%203.jpg

Asu

Shiny_Rock
Thank you!I'm in love with some of the zircons on gemfix.The problems is,I pretty much have no budget.I shouldn't even be looking at anything,BUT I'm just not wearing my beautiful blue sapphire set,as it doesn't fit my lifestyle right now and if I do wear it and don't wear my original wedding band I know my husband feel really sad.So I'm trying to find something that agree with my current lifestyle and wedding band more,and put a couple of bucks away every month,as I'm looking to have this made for my birthday in august.Also,to pay for the actual ring I'm probably selling a few bracelets I was gifted but that I just don't wear at all.
I would like to stay around 100,maybe less for the stone.I don't mind treatments.If I can't see it,I just don't care.I love the topaz idea.also,if this can help,I've worn an aquamarine for a few years everyday,and I've only got two very thin scratches on the stone,so I'm not that bad with softer stone.Also,the bezel will probably protect it quite good.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Art does a great job, you have to hold the piece in your hands to appreciate the delicacy of the piece. Everything is so accurate, so perfect. If I had a chance, I wold have chosed a different stone for the bezel but the ring itself is piece of art!

Asu

Shiny_Rock
yes,that ring is amazing!!What's the link to this etsy shop?I searched but couldn't find it.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, marymm, when I spoke about choosing a different stone, I was talking about my stone and project, of course! Just re-read it and thought people might understand it in the wrong way. Yours is perfect for the bezel, mine was sleepy.

Asu

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the link Marymm!He makes amazing works!!
So,I've sent a mail to Daniel Stair at customgemstones,and I'm just waiting for him to answer right now.I also looked through the links in the vendors topic,and found some interesting stones..let's see :))

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
crasru|1299896375|2869956 said:
Sorry, marymm, when I spoke about choosing a different stone, I was talking about my stone and project, of course! Just re-read it and thought people might understand it in the wrong way. Yours is perfect for the bezel, mine was sleepy.

No problem crasru - I understood what you meant - I well remember your spessartite ring that Art crafted for you - it was a great design. I went back and took another look at the photos of your ring and I think I know what you mean about the bezel setting perhaps not showing that gemstone to its best advantage - it sure has lovely color though.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll be watching your search with interest, Asu. I also watched davi's with interest. I love the color yellow. I like paler yellows, however, not canary yellows. I find that I am usually in the minority among those who love yellow stones. What tone do you prefer?

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Asu

Shiny_Rock
I like both very yellow stones,like sun yellow,and paler stones.A lighter yellow stone might actually looks better for this ring,since my band is already very yellow :lol: I also prefer greenish yellow over orangish yellow.
Daniel answered my mail,but right now he doesn't have what I'm looking for.He has a beautiful radiant zircon,colorless.Had it been yellowish white,I would have bought it!Sigh :cry:
I will cechk his site often though,as I love his stones!

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
I found this one on the net but it's not a cushion... I think the size is nice and the sparkle is excellent (precision cut by a US cutter)

SPECS:

Gemstone: Natural Golden Beryl
Weight: 2.3 cts
Approx: Dimensions: 9 X 6mm (deep)
Cut: Round Brilliant
Color: Golden Yellow
Clarity: VVS
Grade: Fine

A_Beryl.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results