shape
carat
color
clarity

How do I propose with a diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

joemok

Rough_Rock
Hey fellas,

just ordered a diamond from Whiteflash and its on its way.
Didn't get it set cos i perceived she didn't like the rings available online.

How do you propose with a diamond instead of a ring? I plan to get it set with a design she likes locally cos she doesn't trust my taste. (my taste is dependant on the cheapest design)
naughty.gif

On top of that, I like attention but she had warned me before not to propose with lots of people around. What do i do? Submit?

Thanks a bunch
9.gif

Rdgs Joseph Mok
Singapore

seeking_jubilee

Rough_Rock
Find an inconspicuous way to let her pick out the design, or have her design her ideal ring - then have the diamond mounted.

Easier said than done, I guess.

Good luck!

JimDiamond

Shiny_Rock
This is a common dilemma. Settings can be a tricky thing since a lot has to do with taste. You can often deduce some of her preferences from her current jewelry. It also helps if she's ever looked at rings in your presence in person or in a magazine. If that's not practical, then you could also try a female friend or relative if they can be trusted to keep the secret. A set ring that she will actually love is of course the best option. If you know she has very particular tastes and would be willing to change settings, you could also have it set in a very inexpensive solitaire setting and then let her pick out her own setting. The general consensus here seems to have been, don't propose with a loose diamond. So I'd recommend you try one of the above options.

Your other question is about a proposal without people around. You're already ahead of the game! You already know something of what she wants. So think of a private setting where you can build a romantic moment and then propose. You can do it indoors at home, indoors at a hotel, outdoors overlooking the ocean, outdoors in a garden or other beautiful locale--you have lots of options. Think about what is special to the two of you. Do you have any places with lots of meaning to you? Somewhere associated with your first date, first kiss, etc.? Start thinking about it and be thinking about what you're going to do about the ring. You'd be surprised how clever you can be if you take your time and think things through.

roadpupp

Rough_Rock
I would get the cheapest setting you could find (by this I mean solitaire and tasteful) and mount it up. Should only be a $100 or $200. If you go to a jewler with a large selection and she can find a mounting she likes in that same store, they will give you the cost of the setting back toward the new ring.

If she finds it somewhere else, then you are only out a few hundred and she might turn the setting into some other casual ring with a birthstone.

This way, she gets to wear the stone while she is picking out the setting.

Good luck, it's fun!

stephinextremis

Rough_Rock
If you are truly at a loss and don't want to give away the surprise, I'd have the diamond mounted in your everyday Tiffany-style setting in 14kt white gold. It shouldn't cost more than $80-120 for that. She will want be able to wear her diamond right away, after all. I picked out my ring after the proposal, and it was a LONG WAIT!

After the proposal, you could say that you just couldn't wait to propose, and that you want to take her shopping to find the setting of her dreams
1.gif

Hope this helps!

Stephanie

joemok

Rough_Rock
Jim Diamond-

Thats a wonderful idea. I'd take her back to the place of our first date! It was a reservior (aka known as a man made lake) and windy and beautiful. The only set back is that the place crawls with mosquitoes and reeks of compose. Pray that we're up wind.

Regarding getting it set cheaply, i've thought about it but was afraid the setting may damage the diamond if removed. 'Duh!'
confused.gif
does it?
read.gif

wonder what will happen if I just cellotape the box (holding the diamond) to a ring!!! What do you fellas think? I've till 30th Oct to decide. Planning to propose on the 31st which is my birthday.

Anyway, its been great having all you folks reply.

hear from you soon.
wavey.gif

joemok

Rough_Rock
heres the cert

AGS 1.GIF

joemok

Rough_Rock
The Ideal Scope image

Ideal Scope image1.JPG

Bride2BeVintage

Rough_Rock
My fiance proposed without a ring (between the 2nd and 3rd hurricanes to hit our area, so it was not a problem). Actually, it turned out better for us, as he was not aware I wanted a vintage ring.

I found a crystal heart box, that I thought would be sweet in which to put a stone.

http://shop.swarovski.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en_US/-/USD/SW_DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=JqgSD1EcQqJrWxBrwGzIPzUWXx3uXcIXoog=?ProductSKU=02666890&CategoryName=020316160
AA0666890P0.jpg

When she opened the box to check out the little jonquil crystal hearts, she could find the diamond….

joemok

Rough_Rock
excellecnt idea, i'll look for a crystal shop near my place or downtown soon.

should i include it into a large box so that she'll have to play hide and seek to find it?

9.gif

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
The only problem with that plan is that when your gal gets the stone, she’s gonna wanna wear it IMMEDIATELY!

My FI did what someone above suggested – put the stone in a temporary 14kwhite gold solitaire setting, about $100. This is great if you know her ring size. I loved this because A, I got to wear my pride and joy right away, and B, I got to pick the setting, which I REALLY LOVED! But most importantly, I was completed surprised – I loved that.

If you do decide to propose with the stone, maybe you can give her a gumball machine ring for the actual proposal, so you have a box to open, etc, and then show her the stone after the “moment”. Or get a fake CZ, really TINY and propose, and then show her the stone later so she’s amazed at the REAL SIZE! HA! Sneaky!
naughty.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results