shape
carat
color
clarity

Wearing your rings to bed?

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I've had my reset for less than 2 months now and noticed a "scratch" in the bezel tonight. First, I noticed that one of the sides was not 100% smooth and had a tiny piece of metal that was catching on my skin, so I louped it and saw a small scratch. Nothing major and I'm sure with normal wear it will buff out and be smooth again. But, it worried me.

When I mentioned it to DH he told me that I should take my rings off when I go to bed because he hears me clunking my hands/rings against the headboard at night when I sleep. We have a wooden headboard. I didn't realize that I did this, so I have taken his advice and decided to take all of my rings off at night before heading to bed. I was just wondering if this is the norm? Do you all take your rings off before bed? I take them off when I shower, do my makeup and hair, put lotion on, or do anything else that would obviously make them gunky, but I never realized sleeping with them on could cause damage?!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely - stray threads that yank on prongs, headboards that scratch, bang, and dent, turning over on your stomach and forcing the thin band of your shank to hold its own against the pressure of your body weight, the worry of it slipping off your finger in your sleep and getting lodged god knows where... :errrr:

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
All very good points, Yssie! I sleep on my back, so I'm not worried about the weight of my body, but yea, I guess I never thought about the stray threads, headboards, etc. It's funny, but DH recommended me taking off the rings before going to bed months ago, and my whole reasoning for keeping them on was that if for any reason we had to leave the house in a hurry (break-in, fire, tornado, etc.) that I wanted to make sure my rings were ON me! LOL

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have thought about about that too, Lil Misfit. I worry about earthquakes in the night. I always take mine off, mostly because
my fingers swell a bit in the night and it will wake me up. I drop my rings in a cleaning solution at night, so I would just have to
grab the whole container. I have been known to leave my rings on until the last second sometimes though. There is something
about the lamp next to my bed that makes them sparkle like crazy. I love that!

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Um, guilty :oops: My rings are plain. Plain solitaire with a .80 carat round (4 prong trellis) and a matching plain curved band. I pretty much wear my rings 24/7. I do sometimes take them off to wash my hands and put lotion on. I probably should take them off at night. I do have a fear that one morning I'll wake up and my fingers will be swollen and I'll have to have my rings cut off! :-o

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never wear them to bed for the reasons Yssie already said. And people with white gold (or any gold) prongs especially should not because rubbing the prongs against fabric is going to wear them down faster. A former poster here who sewed told us she had to have her e-ring head replaced 3 times because of wear from handling fabric!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I never wear my rings to bed! I think it's pretty dangerous, especially if you flail around in your sleep.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
For the sake of my SO and my diamonds, I never wear rings to bed. Been told i sleep like a pterodactyl who punches in her sleep, arms up and all over the place. Woke up a few times to a very upset bf who didn't appreciate getting a fist to the face in the middle of the night.

hisboatmyring

Rough_Rock
I take mine off to sleep, shower, make-up ect. and clean.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I take my rings off as soon as I get home. I also take off my necklace and bracelets.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I take off all my jewelry before going to bed.

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
I wear mine 24/7, and have never had a problem. I guess it's just tradition for me, my mother never took hers off. Also, I would be afraid it would get lost or misplaced if it wasn't always on me. I was actually surprised that I am in the minority here, since most take theirs off at night.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
I think my fingers get fat at night, so I take mine off. But I also lost my e-ring, so I might start changing my tune.

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I also don't take mine off. :D I swell and would not be able to get them back on in the morning, so I just wear them :D

lottapalooza

Rough_Rock
i sleep with mine on! I take them off to shower... and when I am cooking and I have to get my hands in the food! Other than that, they stay on!

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I leave my two diamond wedding bands on but leave my ering off. Lately it is like my knuckle has swelled and I can' t get them on or off without the use of windex.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yup, I always take my rings and earrings off before bed. Once, I hit DH in the face while wearing my ering and it scratched him. After that happened, I started taking everything off...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For those who are afraid of losing their rings, get a ring holder and put it in a safe place and only put your rings there when you take them off. Then it is impossible to lose them. I would never worry about an emergency and having to leave the house because that is what insurance is for!

stci

Ideal_Rock
I always keep my ring at night but I take it off for anything else like shower, dishes, garden....

Till now... there is no problem.

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I sleep in mine. But, once I'm asleep I don't change positions or anything so it's pretty safe. My rings are set low and aren't delicate (they're platinum, no pave, etc).

OCmom3xboys

Shiny_Rock
I hardly took off my e-ring/wband for the first 4 years...the milgrain on my wband is wearing off. For the past 2 years, I take all my rings off. I just made a habit , after brushing my teeth, I apply face sunscreen, rub hand lotion then rings back on (in that order).

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I used to wear my rings 24/7, and eventually the prongs would wear thin and need to be retipped. I have since read that rubbing the rings against fabric, such as the sheets, wears the prongs down over time.

I no longer sleep in rings that have diamonds. I will wear my plain gold wedding band to bed.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I sleep in my rings most of the time. When I remember, I take them off and drop them in cleaning solution overnight, but it's easier to just crash with them on. My wedding ring is particularly difficult to maneuver on and off (skinny finger, bigger knuckle), so I don't take remove it very often.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
I rarely bother to take my ACA off, except to clean it, but I do normally take off my other rings. The reason I don't worry about the ACA is that it's in a solid setting with two huge 'prongs' holding the stone and I beat it up worse during the day than I ever will at night.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sleep and shower in mine, I do take them off to do housework, use lotion ect, I havnt had any problems with mine.

Love Street

Shiny_Rock
I wear my wedding band (a 2.2mm shared prong eternity) to bed, and I used to do the same with my original e-ring too. However, in the 2 months I've had my upgrade e-ring, I take it off before bed and the few times I've slept with it on (hotel stays w/early wakeup calls) it has woken me up.

I wear my eternity w-band 24/7 (except to clean it) and I don't even notice it's there. My upgrade, however, is so much bigger than my original that I take it off before bed, while walking the dog, showering, and doing anything with my hands that could knock it. I've found that as a 3ct RHR (even set as low as possible), it is easier to knock about than my original e-ring (a .83 ct on my left hand).

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I take my rings off as soon as I get in the door, so no, I don't wear them to bed. I never really thought that doing so would possibly damage them -- it's more of a comfort thing for me.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I take off all my jewelry except for studs as soon as I get home. As much as love my sparkly things, they start to annoy me by the end of the day so I can't imagine sleeping in jewelry. There is only one place where all my pieces are kept so I don't worry about losing them.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
I only sleep with mine on when I'm in a hotel (not that often). I used to sleep with my diamond earrings on though (at the moment, they're in the bank, I put them there because I was never wearing anything else).

I don't do anything in my rings, I take them off as soon as I come home, initially because I'm a little allergic, now I'm just used to doing that and it bothers me to have them on when I'm doing any work. In 29 years, my original e-ring has never had any problems. I get it checked every once in a while and its always fine. The prongs haven't worn down or anything, the jeweller keeps telling me its perfect. It's in 14K YG.

My mom wore hers 24/7 from the time she got it and never took it off (and never cleaned it either) and one day the diamond just simply popped out, and then she lost it. 30 years later she has a new one and is gardening, cleaning house, making bread dough and everything in it AGAIN, but this time she deliberately got a very small diamond in a very low (illusion) settting so it may hold together a little better (the original was a large diamond very high set, handmade in very soft rose gold).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results