shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Victor Canera reset my 3.39 ct OEC! Tapered French cuts

LGK

Ideal_Rock
OK I just can't wait! So a few weeks ago, I contacted Victor Canera to reset my 3.39 ct OEC (he finally weighed it for me- that's the actual carat weight... previously it had been estimated by measurement to be 3.55 cts).

When I first contacted him, we discussed various options via email; he's very responsive via email unlike many vendors. I was allllmost tempted into doing prongs; he felt it would be fairly safe even with the razor thin girdle on my stone, since the high crown angles keep it from being as fragile as you'd expect. His prongs look absolutely amazing, but I eventually decided to go with a bezel after all, since I don't take my ring off much at all (and thus do stuff like clean the litterbox whilst wearing it, haha) and I don't trust myself not to damage it. He made me some mock up pics to help me decide, which was indeed very helpful.

I wanted the French cuts to have that sexy taper, a la Love Street & Wintotty's settings by Leon. But, I hadn't realized that doing such with a round stone was more difficult- it's just hard to fit flat sided stones up against a round one like that. Nevertheless Victor got a nice taper *somehow*, which is awesome. :bigsmile:

The French cuts are color matched to my M color OEC.

Victor quoted 4 weeks for the work- and got it done in an astounding 2! It will be here Thursday.

Victor said that with the new setting my OEC faces up like a G, *conservatively*. Wow. It definitely looks super white in the glamour shot he sent. OECs are like that- they really can face up astonishingly white if there's no super-white melee contrasting with them. Bezels for some reason flatter mine like you wouldn't believe. Not sure *why* but I'm not complaining!

The shank tapers from something like 6mm to 2mm (off the top of my head). The French cuts were custom cut for me- cut from princesses I believe with large faceting to match the chunky OEC facets. There's engraving all over, millgrain on all edges, and a bit of filigree in the profile view. The platinum setting is totally handmade, no cast parts whatsoever.

Victor Canera is an absolute dream to work with and I'd highly recommend him- I found his prices to be definitely reasonable for custom, handmade pieces, and he has a *great* eye- frankly I found him practically psychic to work with, he knew what I wanted so well. He's also very flexible and will absolutely do what *you* want, and be totally pleasant about it the whole way too- for example I know he thought prongs would be the best aesthetic look for my ring but I decided to go with a bezel anyway. (And frankly I did agree with him, but I am really hard on stuff and had to take that into account- this is absolutely the "forever" setting for my OEC.) And his responsiveness via email is awesome for PSers, too. He's really a sweetheart.

I'd always loved his work since I saw the first ring posted here in 2008 by devonht- there was just something about the balance and lines to his work that spoke to me. There's something about the delicate-yet-substantial look to his work that I adore, and which reminds me of the best antique pieces- and the workmanship is top notch. And after I saw the tapered French cut setting posted here a few weeks ago by angietaren I knew I wanted a variation on it like burning, haha. I cannot wait to see the new setting in person :bigsmile: Thursday can't come fast enough!

bezelversionnologo.jpg

prongversionnologo.jpg

lgkcanera1.jpg

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
It looks absolutely beautiful ! Cant wait to see hand pics ! :love:

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Oh MY.

That is perfection in a ring.

DROOL. Enjoy it!!

pixies

Shiny_Rock
Stunning, amazing, perfect, etc. I am *so* glad you bezeled your baby! It really suits the style of this ring plus you can wear it without worrying as much. Love the double milgrain and engraving. I can't wait for hand shots!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
FAN-FRICKIN-TASTIC!!!! Post a zillion more pics when you get it!!! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I can't wait to see more pictures, beautiful!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OOOOH, I can"t wait to see it. Looks GORGEOUS!!

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
This is one of the prettiest rings I have ever seen (the other tapered french cuts are the other most pretty imo)!!! I am DROOOOOLING! :love: :love:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the way he incorporated those french cuts in with a round stone - sensational!!

Can't wait to see your hand shots of this ring. . .

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am speechless! That has got to be one of the most stunning rings I've ever seen! I can hardly breathe it's so gorgeous! I can't wait to see a million more photos! It's going to be a long wait til Thursday, lol!

stci

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous! Can't wait to see it in your hand! Would be fantastic!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
That is absolutely stunning, LGK!!! Literally has to be one of the most gorgeous rings I've ever seen!! Everything about it is perfect! I cant wait to see it on your hand!!! :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahhh, another masterpiece! :love: This place is getting exciting with these new master craftsmen making these perfect settings!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh my goodness :love: :love: seriously, amazingly beautiful ring. I can't wait for more pictures!! I know you'll be counting the minutes until you get it!!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh, I can't wait to see more pictures of this beauty!!! It looks wonderful!!!!

E B

Ideal_Rock
It is perfection. :love:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning! Cant wait till it gets here for some hand shots!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
wow, wow, wow!!!!!! it's BEAUTIFUL!!!!! I hope it is everything you wanted for your OEC.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh, my dear good gods, that was FAST - I wasn't expecting to see the finished product for ages! lGK, it's absolutely stunning. I cannot wait for hand pics ... and flower shots ... and, hell, I'd even take a kitty litter shot! That baby will be able to stand up to ANYTHING.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My gosh, that is a really gorgeous setting!!! The perfect new home for your beautiful stone. Can't wait to see it on your hand!

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Out of lurking for this one!!! W :love: W!!!!

I took a temporary break from college work and I have been just staring at this for ages!!! It is magnificent!!

Can't wait to see it on you, LGK!!!!!! :wavey:

CristinaDoes26.2

Rough_Rock
Wow, that looks absolutely beautiful! :love: I'm sure it'll be even more stunning in person. Hand shots are mandatory!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ohhhhhhhh pretty!!! I think the bezel (double milgrain?!) was the perfect choice - it suits your stone!

Can't wait for your pics LGK!!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
GORGEOUS! I love the double milgrain bezel. Your new ring is perfection!

I cannot wait to see handshots!

BoulderGal

Brilliant_Rock
Holy Moley, that's just drop dead gorgeous! :appl: :appl: :appl: I can't wait to see the handshots (hint hint). Seriously, it's pure perfection! Congratulations!

BoulderGal

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
Oh. :love: My. :love: Gosh. :love: That's a Hall of Famer.... :appl: KILLAH! :appl:

kimber418

Shiny_Rock
WoW! That is beautiful. I am so obsessed with french cuts. Your ring turned out gorgeous! Congrats!

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! What a gorgeous ring, can't wait to see more of it! =) Those French cuts really are so pretty...I'd love something similar someday!

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous! You should save save everyone some time and post pics in the "lust" thread too!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
WOW. WOW. WOW. That ring is STUNNING!!!!!!!!!! :love: I can't wait to see more photos!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results