shape
carat
color
clarity

Kindle and Library Books? Should I get a Nook instead?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1299789930|2869018 said:
mrswahs|1299789055|2869003 said:
Just a thought-- Kindle now has the ability to lend out books to friends for 14 days. Maybe if you get one we can start a book club and all share books ;-)!
Last I checked, you can lend the book ONCE to a friend for 14 days...and not all books are lendable. In fact, hardly any of the good ones seem to be!
That's such a bummer.

I recently learned that you can log in to a number of other Kindles and download your books to them. My sister logged in on my Kindle and gave me several of her books, so when I logged back in as myself POOF! they were there waiting for me along with all of my own books. Pretty cool, I say.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I love the K3; got it basically as soon as it was released. The battery time is unmatched- I get over a week out of it, even using my lighted book cover (which in itself is awesome- the light is virtually invisible when not in use, and uses the Kindle's own battery.) I carry the thing around like a security blankie and use the heck out of it, so the fact that the battery is still lasting that long is freaking awesome. I also much prefer Amazon's selection of books- if you like any obscure authors, check the availability on any format you're considering; most of my favorites were *not* available any way except through Kindle. Both of those things were absolutely essential for me- long battery life and great selection of e-books.

I love the ease of downloading new books on the K3. The display is easy on the eyes. They're extraordinarly portable and very, very thin- but surprisingly sturdy actually. I find that when I read, the Kindle "disappears"- I don't pay attention to it at all, I'm just lost in the book like I would be with a paper book.

The Kindle is perfect IMO if you are going to use it for just books, nothing else. If you want to check email, play games, browse the net- don't get a Kindle, it's not for that. I think a Nook Color would be the thing if you are looking for a more tablet-like experience.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Thank you again for all of the awesome responses!

Definitely just want to read on whatever I get. I've got an iPod Touch for the other stuff. I'm reeeaalllyy leaning Kindle now.

basil

Brilliant_Rock
I just got a kindle like a week ago. Love it so far!

I got it cause I wanted something I could take traveling that would be lighter than a few paperbacks. And it is by far.

Unexpected benefits - 1) I can make the print big enough to read without my glasses which I can't do with normal paperback font; 2) It's much more comfortable to read lying down - don't have to keep the pages apart, can hold with one hand and prop on the bed or lean on DH's back 3) instant gratification when I want a new book - no more planning ahead or overpaying at bookstores or waiting until I have a big enough order to get free shipping at amazon

I was between the cheapest Kindle for $140 and the refurb old version iPad for $350 and ended up saving the money and glad I did. I have a macbook air and an iphone for my other needs. Kindle is just a book reader but it does it well.

mrswahs

Shiny_Rock
I get about 4 weeks battery life with my Kindle 3. I have the wifi only version and I leave the wireless turned off most of the time. I read for at least 2 hours a day, and I use the light maybe only once or twice a week.

My favorite feature is buying a book on the website from my computer and watching it pop up on my Kindle seconds later :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a nook and adore it. Just flat out love it to pieces. The fact that I can download different formats and everything is fabulous. It's a breeze to use, and I can get a lot of books free or shop around for good pricing. I actually OWN my books (Kindle is a license to use, not ownership) -- can use it on my laptop and on my phone (BN server remembers where you are in your current book).

I don't leave home without it. Battery life is good and it uses the same charger as my cell phone (also an Android operating system).

I do love the warranty, cause I am clumsy and can destroy anything. It's pretty much a 'covers it all' warranty. So I don't have to worry about reading by the pool (covers water damage) carry it in my purse (where it get knocked about) and generally just do anything (within reason) with it. I recommend springing for it.

I have the original which is not backlit, because I love reading outdoors and the backlit one (Nook Color) is harder to see outdoors.

iugurl

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1299805717|2869231 said:
I actually OWN my books (Kindle is a license to use, not ownership) -- can use it on my laptop and on my phone (BN server remembers where you are in your current book).

I didn't know that when you buy a book through the Kindle that you only get a license. What is the difference between ownership and license?

emdash

Rough_Rock
I own neither, BUT for xmas we got my brother a Nook specifically for the library ebook capabilities and he loves it. Kindle was not in the running for him because he wanted the library ebooks, and we first got him the Sony Reader which he had trouble getting to work with his Mac and the library's site. He exchanged it for the Nook and is very happy with it.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
iugurl|1299818488|2869382 said:
I actually OWN my books (Kindle is a license to use, not ownership) -- can use it on my laptop and on my phone (BN server remembers where you are in your current book).

I didn't know that when you buy a book through the Kindle that you only get a license. What is the difference between ownership and license?

Oh geez. Didn't know this. That doesn't make me happy. If I'm paying $9.99 I want to own it!

mrswahs

Shiny_Rock
can use it on my laptop and on my phone (BN server remembers where you are in your current book).

This can be done on the Kindle too using the Kindle App on Mac, PC and iPhone :)

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But what does actually 'owning' it do for you. Can you lend it to someone else for any length of time? That is about the only
advantage I can think of. You never 'lose' a kindle book, they keep it for you on their server, so it kind of seems like semantics to
me. I would love to hear, if anyone can clear that up.

I never thought I would enjoy a e-reader. I love books, plain and simple. But I absolutely love this thing.

I didn't realize that the amazon readers book light was connected to the battery of the kindle. That is really cool. I kinda wish
I would have sprang for the extra cost now. Maybe later.

I think you can load a kindle app and switch your material to other devices as well.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Honestly the reason I'm leaning Kindle now is how light the suckers are.

iugurl

Shiny_Rock
luv2sparkle|1299854449|2869530 said:
But what does actually 'owning' it do for you. Can you lend it to someone else for any length of time? That is about the only
advantage I can think of. You never 'lose' a kindle book, they keep it for you on their server, so it kind of seems like semantics to
I think you can load a kindle app and switch your material to other devices as well.

I would be interested in the answer to the bold question. I tried googling it, but came up with nothing. And yes you can read Kindle books on other devices. I have my husbands Ipad "linked" or whatever. I have never used it, since I prefer reading from the Kindle.

KatyWI

Brilliant_Rock
I have the Kindle 3 and I LOVE IT.

And now there is LENDLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Look it up! It's basically a network of people willing to share books, so even though you can only lend a book once, tons of people are lending them so you can always borrow them!! Too neat!

*cough* plus there's that whole sneaky free PDF thing... *cough*

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
iugurl|1299982692|2870497 said:
luv2sparkle|1299854449|2869530 said:

I would be interested in the answer to the bold question. I tried googling it, but came up with nothing. And yes you can read Kindle books on other devices. I have my husbands Ipad "linked" or whatever. I have never used it, since I prefer reading from the Kindle.

As a Kindle owner, it makes no difference to me in all honestly. I mean, the books are on my Kindle, I can read them and I can even lend some...that's all I basically I do with DTB books anyways. Would "owning" them in a technical make me owning as I currently do any less real? I doubt it.

Nook has it's limitations with this as well. Lending books is still limited, ownership aside. I remember reading you can only lend a book for one week, and then only once to a particular person. I could be wrong, things change...but it's still a restriction that "owning" a book don't totally eliminate.

Okay...honestly....it probably doesn't matter. All eReaders have perks and disadvantages. With the Kindle, your books are so tightly formatted that should you ever change eReaders, you books are gone.

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
i completely agree w/basil re the unexpected benefits of the kindle. i got my kindle as a christmas gift from my mother. she thought i would really like one b/c i'm currently living so far away from a town w/a decent bookstore (or any bookstore for that matter). and i really do love it for the ability to buy books instantaneously. i considered the kindle & nook but in the end chose kindle b/c i liked amazons ebook store better, heard great things about their customer service, & wonderful things about their e-ink screen. so, after i decided on kindle i went back & forth between the wifi only & wifi/3g. in the end, i went w/wifi only b/c i have a wireless router at my house & don't travel extensively. (i figured that i can pre-load my kindle w/books before i leave on a trip.) i've had no regrets. and honestly, love it more than i thought i would.

basil|1299800869|2869181 said:
Unexpected benefits - 1) I can make the print big enough to read without my glasses which I can't do with normal paperback font; 2) It's much more comfortable to read lying down - don't have to keep the pages apart, can hold with one hand and prop on the bed or lean on DH's back 3) instant gratification when I want a new book - no more planning ahead or overpaying at bookstores or waiting until I have a big enough order to get free shipping at amazon

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I think I can answer most of your questions since I'm a librarian. :read:

Kindles are probably NEVER going to work with OverDrive, the #1 provider of eBook and e-Audiobook services for public libraries. Nooks work, as do iPads. You can find out if your library has OverDrive by going to http://www.overdrive.com/ and entering your zip code in the search box. You can set up an account using your library card number. Generally you have to go to a library in person in order to get a card (show ID, prove residence, etc.).

If you already have an iPod touch, you could set that up to download books from your library and see how you like it. Some libraries have limited collections of eBooks, some have huge collections. If you're the type who likes to buy books, though, then all of this is irrelevant and you should get what you like. Have you played with a Nook at a B&N store?

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
I am a giant bookworm, and resisted the e-book craze for a long time because I didn't think it would feel like "real reading". I have a kindle and I love it. After, about 1 month reading on it, I can't even tell the difference between a real book and a kindle. I find the returns on a kindle very easy, and I love the 3G thing. Being able to buy a book at 3:15 am without moving from my bed, just because I feel like it, is priceless.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I also want to say Amazon's CS, in respect to Kindle, is a-maz-ing!

Just a few weeks ago I was having problems with my Kindle. I had it in the Cole Haan cover with hinges and it was doing all sorts of weird stuff...restarting, freezing, draining the battery. When I called CS to complain, they told me that the cover was causing my issues...not only did they totally refund the price of the cover (without having me send it back, BTW) they also gave me an "inconvenience credit" since this was the FOURTH kindle I'd had with problems. Turns out, it was never the Kindles...only the cover that jacked them up. But still, they were always so amazing and understanding and helpful.

This is priceless. I've heard of people having problems with their K2 since the K3 came out, Amazon gifted them a $75.00 credit for a new one. Warranties are permeable things, CS will never ignore you and your issues simply because your Kindle is out of warranty.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
rubybeth|1300212102|2872376 said:
I think I can answer most of your questions since I'm a librarian. :read:

Kindles are probably NEVER going to work with OverDrive, the #1 provider of eBook and e-Audiobook services for public libraries. Nooks work, as do iPads. You can find out if your library has OverDrive by going to http://www.overdrive.com/ and entering your zip code in the search box. You can set up an account using your library card number. Generally you have to go to a library in person in order to get a card (show ID, prove residence, etc.).

If you already have an iPod touch, you could set that up to download books from your library and see how you like it. Some libraries have limited collections of eBooks, some have huge collections. If you're the type who likes to buy books, though, then all of this is irrelevant and you should get what you like. Have you played with a Nook at a B&N store?

Thank you rubybeth - the library near me DOES have overdrive. Do I like to buy books? Sure. Am I trying to break that habit? Yes. :wacko: Running out of space....

alleycat - thanks for chiming in! I'm still torn.

lulu - good point on the WiFi option. If I go with the Kindle I'll do the WiFi probably.

ETA (missed a few folks! Sorry!)
iugurl - thanks for commenting!

KatyWi- In-ter-esting. Going to check it out now.

So. At this point I need to really get out there and fiddle around with the darned things to see which I prefer using.

My husband suggested looking to see if there were enough books I'd check out from the library rather than buying to cover the cost of a nook, and if so to go for it. Quite the practical man. :mrgreen:

katamari

Ideal_Rock
I have a nook, and I do love it. There really isn't a clear answer. I recommend going to your library's website and see how many books they have available. The public library here is unbelievable with the number of titles they have available through OverDrive, so that is why I picked the nook. That said, the nook bookstore is worse than the kindle bookstore, but I have been able to find everything on google books I wanted that was on kindle and not nook.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results