shape
carat
color
clarity

an extra facets affect the clarity grade?

valchiria

Shiny_Rock
I try to explain my curiosity.
Some days ago I was watching a raport of a diamond with low clarity, and I see that in the diagram of the stone there was designed, besides all the other inclusions (red) , with green color, an extra facet.
My question is: if the diamond hasn't any inclusion but it has an extra facet in the pavilion, visible only with a loupe, it will be grade IF (as it hasn't any inclusion) or less?
Specifically (using pics taken from Rhino's video), a stone with an extra facet with the form of the image
exf1.jpg
but with an aspect (no polish/natural) like the image
exf2.jpg
that is located a little in the girdle and a little in the pavilion, as if the angle of the girdle to go down a bit 'lower, will affect the clarity grade?
yes or no? And what it affects?
Thanks

Tom Gelb

Shiny_Rock
Trade
An extra facet will not affect the clarity grade in any way. One could have an internally flawless diamond with an extra facet. I hope this helps.

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
Politely butting in, but will an extra facet affect the symmetry grade? I looked at a diamond with a symmetry grade of 'good', and the grading report said that it had an extra facet. Would the symmetry have been rated as 'very good' if it weren't for that extra facet? It was a princess cut, and it looked great to me - I couldn't see anything wrong with with my naked eye, although I looked at the diamond as a whole, and did not inspect every single facet (I didn't see the extra one).

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, an extra facet can affect the symmetry grade. Whether or not that particular stone would get a different grade without it would depend on the other details of the stone. Maybe, maybe not.

valchiria

Shiny_Rock
Thank you.
So an extra facet doesn't affect the clarity, but affects the simmetry, then if I had to find a diamond that meets the parameter of the ideal cut for all except for a microscopic extra facet in the girdle/pavilion, it will not have the excellent simmetry and cut, and I will not pay an extra price for the ideal cut? :Up_to_something:

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
An extra polished facet which is invisible face up and resides on the pavilion can be overlooked on an IF stone, but likely will alter the symmetry grade. A Natural, not a polished facet, such as in the 2nd photo image, above does count and would not allow a diamond to be IF as it breaks the edges of the girdle. If a natural is totally inside the girdle thickness, then an IF might be given.

valchiria

Shiny_Rock
Ok thanks

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results