shape
carat
color
clarity

china is freaking ugly and overpriced...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
WEDDING CHINA, not the country!

The man and I registered this weekend, finally. We only did Bed Bath and Beyond. I guess we did ok. I personally find some of this stuff absurdly overpriced. Glassware...plates...."china". BAH. China is ugly, almost everything I saw was vomitous and what little I "liked", liked meaning not hideous but I don't want it, is priced so stupidly. GIVE ME A BREAK, 60 bucks for 5 little things? For that price I should have at least 4 of each item.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I didn't register for fancy china. I got this Portmeirion stuff that's still fairly expensive but goes from the freezer to the oven. The pattern got to me, so I ebayed a lot of it and now use plain white now. I think that and silver is a waste. I'd rather register for a plasma tv LOL

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
I thought this topic was "China" is freaking ugly and overpriced!

1.gif

But I do agree with you... "wedding china"... what's up with that? I'm not throwing a dinner party for the Queen of England!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
If I feel the need to entertain I just break out my matching bowl set.....
It reads "Cool Whip" on the front!!!
9.gif

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
You'd better be careful with the titles- there's like....2 billion Chinese folks I wouldn't want to insult.........
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
we just did bone china with a thin platinum line on it. i wanted something classic and elegant in case we threw a dinner party for 12 someday. ;0 we also have special occasion china from C&B with watercolor browns and greens with orchids.

there is alot of stuff out there, you dont have to get what everyone else considers 'china'. my girlfriend did that matte china from macy's where it's very contemporary looking (theirs is like a taupe color) but quality so it lasts you.

i wanted to go with something simple so that i could have various colors as acents and have it be different but not pidgeonhole me.

good luck!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I agree, you can get something unusual if you don't like the traditional stuff. I've mentioned before that I collect depression and elegant glass from the 1930s. I also really like the fiesta.

fancycoloredfan

Rough_Rock
I know! I saw "china" in the headline and was like...what???

Anyhow, if you're not looking for fancy china and more for everyday, something we like to use (and even when family is over) is fiestaware - I really like it - have NEVER had breakage problems. They come in a lot of colors.

-Ariana

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
LOL David!

Very cool inner kitten! I bet you have some beautiful pieces...

I'm just a very casual kind of gal. I buy things to use and enjoy them daily. I break everything (acutally, I don't "do" dishes...hubby breaks them lol) and want people to be very comfortable...so I went with the portmeirion which weighs a ton and never chips and is good for everyday and special occassions. When in doubt, plain white. That's what I use every day now b/c my tastes have changed (and change frequently)and what I'll use when I'm forced to cook thanksgiving dinner. I am stalling and think I have a few years left.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Totally agree...we haven't even registered for our "wedding china" yet because everything looks either too Laura Ashley, too Ivana Trump or just too Martha Stewart!!!

I can't do florals, I totally dislike animals and barn looks, I won't touch anything with weird colors, so the basic off white Buffalo china we got from Crate & Barrel is what we like the most.

I WILL need to register for china, since I have a big family (all of whom totally entertain ad such) and dinner parties are our forte. So, Thanksgivings and Christmases may take place in my houshold in the future. Actually, I want my mom's set which is a very classic black and silver accented Noritake collection that was purchased so long ago and still looks like something sold at Neiman! I LOVE them...

Anyone know of a good brand or line of very elegant, simple, classic designs that are slightly modern, but still classic?!
eek.gif

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Not being a big fan of fancy china ourselves, we first registered for Denby stoneware that was to replace our hodge podge of assorted plates.

We then found a local potter to make us a set of hand made unique pieces that were far less than fancy china. We still use them for everything today.

I think some of the patterns are quite nice, but I don't have a priactical use for them. I don't like to hand wash stuff

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
PIER ONE IMPORTS~! I love there dishes. Not to expensive, and there styles change all the time. With there prices you can get new dishes about two times a year.

msbennie

Shiny_Rock
We're registered at J.C. Penney for their plain white "everyday" dinnerware. I inherited my mother's beautiful china that was probably purchased in the mid 60's. I have it displayed in my china cabinet...

reena

Ideal_Rock
ROTFL

ame the title of this thread (putting aside any unintentional ethnic connotations) cracks me right up!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Heh I knew you would find it funny.

I decided I don't need fancy plates. My folks have used their like 5 times in 30 years. Not a good enough reason. I ended up just adding more plates to our mix and match stuff we chose. Individually sold and unfortunatley no sets. WHY NO SETS!

My family has informed that because I refuse to register at Target (believe me I love Target but its not worth the hassles) I am selfish and inconsiderate because BBB is expensive. Sweet.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 10/19/2004 11:33:14 AM ame wrote:

Heh I knew you would find it funny.

I decided I don't need fancy plates. My folks have used their like 5 times in 30 years. Not a good enough reason. I ended up just adding more plates to our mix and match stuff we chose. Individually sold and unfortunatley no sets. WHY NO SETS!

My family has informed that because I refuse to register at Target (believe me I love Target but its not worth the hassles) I am selfish and inconsiderate because BBB is expensive. Sweet.----------------

Nothing like pi**ing off the family. Way to go!
9.gif

Carmel

Shiny_Rock
Well, ha!! Then it’s a good thing that you’re taking a husband so you can get out of your family’s hair.

Actually, BB&B is fairly reasonable in my estimation – especially if you apply their 20% discount coupons, which are quite abundant. I get one in the mail every week and they’re always in the newspaper, as well. You’re family could solve their worries by just getting you a “gift card” from BB&B – and if you collected enough of those, you could just go pick out whatever you wanted after the fact.

So – good luck with that!!

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Ahh, so BBB means "Bed, Bath and Beyond," NOT "Bailey, Banks and Biddle?!" I really thought you meant Bailey Banks and Biddle until I saw Carmel's post about the 20% off coupons!

And yeah, great title. Ame can give lessons on "how to piss off two billion people with one post."
2.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
My registry will include Target, Bloomingdales and Neiman Marcus. So what does that say about us?
naughty.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
When we got married, we were broke and registered for things we needed--china and crystal were out. Since then, I have admired people's beautiful china but we haven't taken the plunge. Maybe someday. I have a simple, inexpensive cream china with a gold border I bought when my mom gave us her gold-plated flatware and Lenox Christmas china (her days of grand entertaining are over
2.gif
), so I have that and several sets of nice casual dishes. I think someday, I might get a set of good china, at least for 8. We'll see. I do think it is very beautiful.
1.gif

Noobie-- I knew I liked you.
2.gif
We have a LOT of pottery-ware. We have many art shows in this area and I found a potter years ago I loved. I have "dinner bowls" (very very large, flat bowls you can use for anything) and mugs from her I have collected, in addition to many vases. They are all in her distinct style but each is a little different, which I love. I plan to augment my collection with plates this year or next.
21.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Well I must be in the minority once again. We have seven sets of china from casual hotel (buffalo) china, a whole set of vintage handmade pottery, to a few dressy patterns. But, I enjoy setting the table. I don't eat to live. I live to eat. The process being part of it.

But, the china I registered for as "my" pattern. I don't like anymore. It's too fru-fru for my tastes.

Someone should bump the china thread. Didn't it go on several pages with several options?

I didn't know target had a registry until a couple of years ago. First time I ever bought (or thought of buying)a Brita water filter as a wedding gift.
6.gif
. The couple was thrilled.
16.gif
Target was also one of the easiest registries to use.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
BBB is expensive? I find BBB and Target to be on par with their prices and quality. BBB is kind of like a smaller Target IMO. BBB is more specialized to homeware type items.

Wow your relatives would have gotten me COAL for our wedding if they consider BBB expensive. Hehehee.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 10/19/2004 1:45:41 PM Patty wrote:

And yeah, great title. Ame can give lessons on 'how to piss off two billion people with one post.'
2.gif

----------------

I can surely piss off more than 2 billion at once.

Momoftwo

Brilliant_Rock
You don't have to get china if you don't like it. It's that simple. I still don't have china after 20+ years of marriage. I have Franciscan dinnerware that I use for more formal dinners. China usually sits unused most of the year and isn't necessary. If you want it, fine, but don't feel like it's required.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Sorry in advance for being so Martha Stewart, but....

I guess for me china is part of the whole entertaining experience. Even if it's just a romantic dinner for two, or a huge Christmas dinner for 20+. Plus, we just got a pair of fabulous Tiffany's candle holders for our engagement, so we can't use them with plastic dishes!
naughty.gif
naughty.gif

I have always been raised with good china on special ocassions, and my parents have a "special" dining room with all nice furniture and an imported fancy glass and wood table with beautiful matching china cabinet and such. You know, the kind of room with pristine creme furniture you are never allowed to sit on as a kid (unless in the presence of an adult), and everything just seemed more magical when we sat in that room with the fine glassware and dishes. We were always better behaved in that room, people seemed nicer, and life just a bit more luxurious...

I guess it's an ambiance that is set with china, because to me it's not just the plates, it's the silverware, the linens, the flowers on the table, The scents of the room, the ornate food preparations. Of course it's only helpful if you use it, so those who don't entertain most likely won't find the value of it. Fair enough.

It's like having plants or flowers in ones home. Sure it's not necessary, but doesn't it look nice?

btw: I just bought a beautiful little potted lemon tree from a local nursery for my entranceway in our apt, and it totally brightened the place and gave it a lush feel...

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 10/20/2004 7:57:58 AM Nicrez wrote:

I have always been raised with good china on special ocassions, and my parents have a 'special' dining room with all nice furniture and an imported fancy glass and wood table with beautiful matching china cabinet and such. --

I was raised that way as well. We had Sunday dinner in there every week & sometimes just for nothing. We often eat the dining room off our good china just because. We have sit down dinner together nearly every night. There is something special about a well set table.
9.gif

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
Haha. I knew you meant the dishes ame. There is no "law" that you have to register for china. If you don't want it.. just don't register for it. Easy as that. Then you'll have more room on your registry for stuff you DO want/need
1.gif

Melissa

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
Ame,
Try the Penney outlet in Florissant, I see a lot of dishes and cookware, not too mention an expensive coffee maker very cheap! I was there over the weekend and they had a lot of furniture and nice sheets, home warming things, etc. Also, I ran across Home Goods store near Lowes and it had a lot of great buys. (near Manchester) I have the Old Country Rose china by royal dalton. In Branson, I bought child friendly plates really cheap at the Oneida outlet store. Congrats on your upcoming wedding and your home purchase.

Best,

Lori

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh I forgot about the Penney's outlet... Thank you!

I went to Steinmart and Homegoods and Marshalls on Manchester the other night and Im really curious to see what Penney;s has in stock. I wish they had Craftsman tools. Id regsiter there. hehe.

I might check that out on my way home one night...not really on the way but Im not far from it at work.
1.gif

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
Have you looked at Pottery Barn or People's Pottery? We didn't register for china because my mother gave us a set. The Mikasa store around here was closing, so we got service for 12 VERY cheap. I don't believe my pattern is made anymore, but I really like it. It's cream-colored with a semi-matte platinum border. We've used it about 5-6 times (we've been married since March, 2003). They're "Textured White" from Pottery Barn (I believe they've been discontinued). Basically, it's a copy of a Denby style, but much cheaper! I think it was $115 for four place settings. They're nice because they're white, so I won't get sick of them, but have a slight pattern, so they're not super-boring. Several of my friends didn't register for china, but registered for some nice white dishes, and then some glass accent plates in various colors.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results