shape
carat
color
clarity

question re sapphire purchase

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
hi
I know this is the diamond section but you all seem the most generally knowledge (particularly valeria101 on this subject). If I were to buy a sapphire with an AGTA cert stating it has no evidence of being treated, is tehre anything else I should do before purchasing>? A separate appraisal--another type of certificate?
Thanks
WS

yowahking

Shiny_Rock
Many things, appraisal would be a start. Being not heated does not make it nice, or the right price, or the right cut, or the right shape, or the right brightness, or the right depth for your mounting choice. Sort of like picking a wife only on the criteria of being a virgin. I got lucky and found a Kashmire wife, my wife got a heat treated, included, big belly husband.

rbrilliant

Rough_Rock
Hi Window Shopper...
There are many factors in purchasing colored stones. One of the most frequent questions I get about colored stoned is " is the stone better when it is darker or lighter?" The answer is neither. The most important factor in value other then treatments is color. Not how dark or light meaning Tone. It is the saturation of color that we need to look at. When a sapphire is to dark...it will look like black onyx....when it is to light it will be towards the grey side. A deep blue with as much color or brilliance reaching your eye is the best possible situation. Look out for windows.....these are areas of the stone you can see through when the stone is face up, and also extinction....these are areas of black with little or no color when the stone is face up. These are just a few factors when determining price of a sapphire or any other colored stone. AGTA is one of the best reports you can get for the purchase you are considering. You should also consider getting an appraisal from someone who is not going to try to sell you something or compare your stone to one of theirs. Finally...If the stone you have is the same stone on the AGTA report and has no treatments and you love the stone...beauty is in your eye.
Best of Luck!

Justin

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results