shape
carat
color
clarity

I might be moving to Chicago . . .

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
It looks like DH might get transferred and we're visiting towards the end of next week. I've visited Chicago only once, so I'm not too familiar with all the different neighborhoods.

We're setting up a meeting with a real estate agent. Any recommendations for neighborhoods or zipcodes to search? I've done an initial search and I can't believe how affordable homes seem to be. Two Bedroom condos for $175K? Really? We'll be single income for a while, so I don't want to spend more than $1800 a month for the mortgage/taxes (and assessment fees - if its a condo or town home). I won't mind spending more if we choose a duplex or other income property (I currently own a 4 unit in another state).

All suggestions/tips are appreciated. Thanks!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are going to be in the city Lincoln park is really nice as is wrigleyville and bucktown. I live out in the suburbs, Naperville, and love it but it's a 40 minute train commute. HoPefully someone from the city will come on and answer soon!

KatyWI

Brilliant_Rock
Don't live there, but I've visited plenty!

Wicker Park has some gorgeous buildings and is pretty happenin'. I'd vote for Lincoln Park or Wrigleyville too :)

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
If I was going to be in Chicago, I would be looking in the South Loop. There is lot of new development, good access to stores, and life is a easier than living in one of the more congested neighborhoods up north. But at the same time, you have quick and easy access to the northern neighborhoods!

For me, it would be the best of both worlds.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I live in Chicago and have for the past 14 years. Lincoln Park is the most upscale neighborhood in the city, but parking is a big issue. Same thing with Wrigleyville. There's a lot happening in Wrigleyville (Wrigley Field, restaurants, shopping), but again there's the parking issue. Bucktown and Wicker Park are good choices, very eclectic neighborhoods with better parking options.

Housing is super cheap right now because of the slump in the housing market. For example, I live in a 5 unit condo building and the duplex in my building that sold for $330K in 2005 is now in a short sale/possible foreclosure status for $125K. :o Also, if you're interested, the garden unit in our building just recently foreclosed and I know that the former owners were trying to sell it for $95K last time I checked (2 BR/1 BA) I'm the president of the condo association, so I'm always on the lookout for people who are looking to buy as it is a very nice building and I really would like all of the units to be occupied :wink2:

Let me know if you have any questions about any other neighborhoods in Chicago.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Lil Misfit|1297904583|2853519 said:
I live in Chicago and have for the past 14 years. Lincoln Park is the most upscale neighborhood in the city, but parking is a big issue. Same thing with Wrigleyville. There's a lot happening in Wrigleyville (Wrigley Field, restaurants, shopping), but again there's the parking issue. Bucktown and Wicker Park are good choices, very eclectic neighborhoods with better parking options.

Housing is super cheap right now because of the slump in the housing market. For example, I live in a 5 unit condo building and the duplex in my building that sold for $330K in 2005 is now in a short sale/possible foreclosure status for $125K. :o Also, if you're interested, the garden unit in our building just recently foreclosed and I know that the former owners were trying to sell it for $95K last time I checked (2 BR/1 BA) I'm the president of the condo association, so I'm always on the lookout for people who are looking to buy as it is a very nice building and I really would like all of the units to be occupied :wink2:

Oh my gosh - yes I am interested! Let me know how I can find it.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
LAJennifer|1297906599|2853532 said:

**Edited by moderator. It is not safe to post personal information online, in particular such details as your address or building. PLEASE for your own safety do not post your location**

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
What an exciting prospect, LAJennifer!

Do you know where you DH would be working? I think that should definitely weigh in on your decision about where to live in the city. Chicago is big, and he could be looking at a long commute even within the city depending on where he's going to work, and where you live.

What kinds of things do you want in your neighborhood? And, more importantly--what kind of *feel* do you want? The neighborhoods are so different, so you'd be wise to consider what you want out of yours.

For example, at this point in my life I wouldn't want to live in Bucktown because it's too far from the lake and I just don't like the feel of it. I do like all the artists who seem to be congregating there, lately, and they have an awesome arts fest, but I wouldn't want to live there. Same with Lincoln Park--it's gorgeous and fun, and right on the lake, but too loud on the weekends to LIVE there in a condo. DH lived in Lakeview (Wrigleyville is in Lakeview) for the last decade and his place is perfect for people like us--right on the lake, close enough to the action to walk (or take a quick cab) but not right *in* the action so we had peace when we wanted it. Of course, I have friends who adore their place in Bucktown, and others in Lincoln Park, so it's such an individual thing. A good friend of mine lives in Edgewater and loves it, and all I can think about is OLD PEOPLE when I go to Edgewater because that's where my grandmother lived. (And really, there ARE a lot of old people there!) And *I* loved living in Lincoln Park when I was single and in my 20s, but times have changed and so have I. My aunt and uncle are raising their family in Irving Park and say they'll never move. Our cousins live in Sauganash and adore it. The great thing about Chicago is there's something for everyone!

If you tell us what you want out of your neighborhood I bet we can be of better help. Do you want to be near the lake? Near public transport? (If so, which lines?) Do you want a young professional vibe, or a more bohemian artsy vibe? Family friendly or young and ready to have fun?

As for prices, now is definitely a great time to buy. We still own DH's condo in Lakeview--it's right on the lake, 23rd floor, with a great view of the water, doormen, a valet parking garage, etc. A few units in the building are foreclosing, and that's driven the prices down dramatically so we can't sell right now. Some 1 BR condos in his building are asking in the 150s, when ten years ago they were going for the mid 200s. It's insane.

This site has a decent map of the neighborhoods so you can at least see where everything is:
http://mappery.com/maps/Chicago-Neighborhoods-Map.jpg

ETA:
It's too bad we can't really communicate--DH's father owns a GORGEOUS place in Old Town, and I think his renter is moving out this summer. It is SO nice. I would move there if we didn't have this house! He has a six-flat in Rogers Park, too.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
LAJenn, I'm in the city!!! River West actually. How old are you guys and do you guys want to live in the city or in the suburbs? Think of Chicago much like NYC. The city is very city-ish, with little neighborhoods with their own "character." The suburbs are like NYC suburbs, houses, family, etc. I might be biased though.

I've been living in the city for YEARS, so ask away. I don't know so much about the 'burbs though. I have a husband and am in my 30s. We're both professionals.

I'll give you a bit of a run down of neighborhoods:
Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wrigleyville: Young crowd, think just out of college. Lincoln park is more "feminine" WV and LV more "masculine" becuase of Cubs park is right there. LP also has a young family vibe, and then insanely wealthy in certain parts too.

Wicker Park/Bucktown: Newer than LP but very much older 20s married couples, and young families.

S Loop: Yuppies or FInance bacehlors.

I have soome guests over now but I'll give you the skinny when I'm free.

~LC

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
OOh do tell more! I've lived here forever now too, on my 8th place in 8 years :) I'm a nomad...

Currently in West Lakeview, bordering on Roscoe Village. A bit less congested than East (i.e. by the Lake) Lakeview, but still very nice neighborhood feel, tree-lined streets, tons of single family homes, people walking dogs, kids out playing, L stop and bus stops a plenty, bars/restaurants, grocery, gyms, etc. all easily walkable. We have easy street parking and no residential permit (or Cubs night game parking permit) needed, so that is great too!

DH has lived in several places, including South Loop, which I see a few recommend. Great unit, especially if you like the loft feel like we do, but much less neighborhood feel (although it is improving). I wasn't a huge fan when he lived down there, but granted it has been a few years now.

Let us know a little more about what you're looking for and where your husband's work will be and we can be of more help for sure!

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Hi LAJenn,

Back to give a you some more info on Chicago if you want it.

Also wanted to add to my S. Loop comment. I sounded kinda "bash-y" but I had people walking in the door right then. But Yeah S. Loop, lots of new condos, Yuppies in the Young Urban Professional sense, not in the "EW YUPPIES" sense (dunno if I'm making sense). A fair amount of single traders live in the S. Loop since it's so close to their work.

Haven has a REALLY good point about where your DH will be working. I love our neighborhood (River West) because it's convenient for both DH and me. I work in the city, he works in the suburbs. I walk to work most days. He either drives (25%) or takes the commuter rail. THe highway is .25 mile from us. The Train station is by my office, so 1+ mile. Super convenient.

Also something to mention about owning here: Property Taxes. They suck! Very high, but it's city so that's kinda what you have to expect. My mom nearly fainted when I told her what I pay in property taxes. I remember this because I *just* paid my bill. :rolleyes:

Lil Misfit's neighborhood, Roscoe Village is great too. Pretty much what Haven said, there's a neighborhood for everyone. It's like Baskin Robbins, you just need to pick what you want.

Haven, if you don't mind me asking, what neighborhood are you in now? For some reason I thought you were in a house in the burbs somewhere (maybe from the snow storm thread?) Are you in Lakeview?

~LC

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
double post

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Do you guys know how AWESOME you are???!!! I knew I could count on my fellow ps'ers. THANK YOU!!! I'm going to look into all the suggested neighborhoods.

The realtor sent us a list of 2 bedroom condos and, knowing nothing about neighborhoods or location, my favorites seemed to be in Lake View or Rogers Park.

This will be a bitter sweet move for me. I LOVE LA!!! I've been here 11 years, have made great friends and it is truly my home. I love my neighborhood - so convenient to everything. Traffic is a big issue here, but I've never had a commute more than 3.5 miles. I can walk to all my favorite restaurants, shopping, entertainment, etc. AND I wear tank tops or sundresses most days of the year.

DH has had several business trips to Chicago and has always loved the city. He doesn't really feel like he can truly "get ahead" in LA. We live well below our means, pay cash for everything (including our cars) and are able to save a lot of money. However, we will never be able to afford the $1.2 Million starter home across the street.

I went along on one of his business trips a few years ago and had a good time. He expressed interest in transferring to Chicago (I think I posted about it and received some very welcoming responses). He was told that it wasn't the right move at the time, as the CEO felt he was very much needed here in the Los Angeles office. Fast forward to now - the Chicago office is undergoing serious change and reorganization. The CEO called him in and recommended he go and help straighten things up. Professionally, I think this is a good move for him and I am very proud that he is getting what he asked for.

The office is currently located near O'Hare. However, they will be moving during this re-org. I don't believe a site has yet been selected - but I definitely agree the location will play a huge factor on where we should live. DH has huge issues with traffic.

I'm mid-late 30's and DH is 40. We feel much younger. Noisy neighbors would drive him crazy. I'm really hard to annoy as I'm easy-going to a fault. I'm excited about the opportunity to utilize public transportation - so close to that would be great! Easy street parking would also be a big plus. DH would love a water view. I'm more concerned with getting a "deal". We don't have kids, but not for lack of trying. We are also not opposed to the burbs (Haven, you live in my dream home). I love to watch all those John Hughes films with the really great neighborhoods.

Ok, so I just wrote a book. Clear as mud, right?

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
And Lil-Misfit - I'll call tomorrow. :) Thanks so much.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Lil Misfit|1297907054|2853544 said:
LAJennifer|1297906599|2853532 said:

**Edited by moderator. It is not safe to post personal information online, in particular such details as your address or building. PLEASE for your own safety do not post your location**

Thanks Ella! I thought about what I had posted afterward and came back to remove it myself but the edit timeframe had passed. Thanks for removing it for me. :wink2:

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Another great area to look at is Evanston. I lived there for awhile before moving back to the west burbs to be with my husband.

Evanston is a healthy balance of both city and suburb life, in my opinion. Close to the city, the main drag "Lakeshore Drive" goes right into Evanston but there is also a lot of public transportation.

What Evanston offers that the city doesn't is the ease of life. You can drive to a grocery store and it isn't 5 floors. There are stores that are mainstream, like Target, whereas in the city you get a lot of boutique shopping. The downtown area is quaint but totally functional with lots of small locally owned stores as well as the big names. You can certainly get a cool high rise condo or go for an old vintage brownstone.

Evanston is also right on the lake...a short walk from most locations. There are public beaches for summer fun. Right off the Northwestern campus is this amazing jut out where students have taken the opportunity to spell their lives out on the stones, if you've ever read a Post Secret book...it's similar to that. The neighborhoods are treelined, full of outstandingly beautiful homes.

Driving, you're probably 15 minutes from the city...but the balance it offers is beyond compare. Evanston is a "college town" of sorts, but also is home to many business professionals looking to escape city life.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
lliang_chi|1297918679|2853696 said:
Hi LAJenn,
Haven, if you don't mind me asking, what neighborhood are you in now? For some reason I thought you were in a house in the burbs somewhere (maybe from the snow storm thread?) Are you in Lakeview?
~LC
Great memory, lliang_chi! We bought a house in the north shore when we married in 2008. Now we live within walking distance of a particularly awesome outdoor music venue, if that helps narrow it down. :cheeky: Before that DH lived in his condo in Lakeview, which we (stupidly!) held onto, and I lived in a condo in Lincoln Park, but I worked in the burbs and spent a lot of time with my parents because the commute really killed me after a while.

LAJennifer--I think it's so great that you get to see different people's perspectives on different neighborhoods. I'm sure my perceptions are very different than others', so this thread is turning out to be super informative and interesting. (And thank you for your kind comment on my house. I love it, too!)

I think you're wise to wait and see where your DH's new office will be located, especially if he hates traffic. My husband was born and raised in the city, and didn't move out until we were married, but his last two years there he was so FED UP with the traffic. It really is getting worse over time, so it will be key for you to get a place near your husband's office. If they end up staying near O'Hare that really changes things because O'Hare is pretty far west and north, so if avoiding traffic is a big priority, you are not going to want to live on the lake. You could actually live in a suburb right around O'Hare and avoid a lot of awful traffic. In fact--I work just north of O'Hare and I live in a very suburban area north of the city with a 20-minute commute.

So, location notwithstanding, now we're looking for:
- A relatively peaceful neighborhood
- Easy parking
- Public transportation nearby
- Great local restaurants, shopping, and entertainment just as you had in LA (Sorry--we cannot do anything about our horrendous weather!)
- A family friendly but still happening neighborhood

Other than the easy parking and the quiet atmosphere, you'll get great public transport and local business in so many parts of the city, so that's good!

Will you be able to spend any time here while you're preparing for this move? Once you know where DH will be working, it would be so great for you to come out here and hang out in a few different potential neighborhoods.

Italia's Evanston suggestion is great if your husband will be working closer to the lake. I love Evanston, it's so beautiful and full of great resources. The taxes are outrageous, though. I teach in Evanston on Saturdays and often spend the rest of my day hanging out there. DH and I wanted to live there but the prices were insane when we were house hunting.

The one thing you can definitely look forward to regardless of *where* you live in Chicago is GOOD PIZZA. I've eaten the stuff they pass off as pizza out in LA, and I have to say, BLECH. You are in for a treat. :bigsmile: In fact, I hope you two are eaters, because we take our food very seriously around here.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
LAJennifer|1297937771|2853751 said:
The office is currently located near O'Hare. However, they will be moving during this re-org. I don't believe a site has yet been selected - but I definitely agree the location will play a huge factor on where we should live. DH has huge issues with traffic.

If his office remains close to O'Hare, you may want to consider the suburbs of Des Plaines or Park Ridge, as driving to O'Hare from the city would probably make your hubby crazy! :lol:

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
For ORD, the CTA is always an option, just saying...

LAJenn,
There's a lot of nice neighborhoods all over. I, for one, am anti-suburbs. I'll only move if I *absolutely have to*. And if I had to move into the suburbs, I'd rather leave Chicago all together. But that's just how I feel right now, dunno if that'll change if I ever have to make that choice.

That being said, I've been to a few suburbs and they are quite nice. Like MisFit said, Des Plaines is a nice neighborhood. Close to the city, and lots of good people. I hear the schools are pretty good too. Some of the south suburbs are really nice, Palos Hills I've been to a lot. Beautiful rolling hills, lots of Forest Preserves, good middle class neighborhood with nice reasonably sized houses. Not really a McMansion type neighborhood like you'll see in other suburbs.

Also, in comparison with LA, you can totally get by with walking, taking the bus, train or cab. Getting around Chicago without a car is very doable.

Oh one of the things I love the most about the city is the culture! Museums, Art, Festivals, The Lyric :love: , we're even going to the ballet this weekend (me and my sis, DH is not interested).

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
I live in the Streeterville/Gold Coast area. I love it but it's expensive as all heck. I share a 1 BR and pay $610/month for it. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else though (3 blocks from my school), because COMMUTING IN THE WINTER IS ICKY! I do not like waiting for the bus getting snow blown in my face, bouncing up and down so my toes don't go numb. Coming from LA, you might want to think extra carefully about how many blocks you want to walk in the freezing cold. "Close to public transportation" may not feel all that close at all with our famous wind whipping at you.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Suchende - you are exactly right that I'm not prepared for the kind of winters you guys have there. I like the idea of giving up my car, but we are going to look for a place where street parking is available for this exact reason.

Haven, are there any particular suburbs where the taxes aren't as high? Maybe farther North near you?

Italia - thanks for the suggestion of Evanston. As for right now that is the focus of our search (possibly Des Plaines), but really I think we need to get there and drive around to experience the neighborhoods for ourselves. I'm excited for our trip and CAN'T WAIT to try the pizza. I LOVE Garret Popcorn - so much that I always try to fly through O'Hare so I can pick up a great big bag whenever I travel back East. Oh my, I think I just gained 5 pounds just thinking about the food!

What is the weather going to like this weekend? I know I need a coat. Should I dress in layers?

Thanks again to ALL OF YOU! You've really put me at ease about this possible move. You guys are great!

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
LAJenn, I can't stress enough the glory of GARAGE parking. Followed a distance second with lot parking. Especially coming from LA, dusting/scraping your car in the AM is NOT something you're going to like.

The weather here is pretty standard winter. It's not crazy cold (thank goodness), but you'll need a coat. And to dress in layers is for sure. How long have you been in LA? I ask because if you're totally used to the warm weather, I'd suggest you wear running tights or at the very least tights/pantyhose under your pants to stay warm. I came from FL originally and did that my entire first winter here.

Hope you find something you like. Is there anyway your DH's company can pay for corporate housing for a few weeks while you guys go exploring the neighborhoods (city) or suburbs?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi, LAJennifer!

When we were house hunting we found that property taxes were lower in suburban Cook County versus Lake County. The *city* of Chicago had relatively high taxes, though.

We saw a lot of variety in property taxes from city to city, but it's something I really don't know much about. I can tell you that we spent 350K on our small house (~1300 sq ft) in a very nice town, and we only pay around $7,500 (or is it 8K?) per year in property taxes. My mom lives in a not-as-super-nice suburb west of us and she spends the same amount on taxes for a house that is worth much less than ours. Helpful, right? Sorry I don't know more.

So much of this is relative. It sounds like Suchende pays $1220 total for a one bedroom in Gold Coast, and I would say that is a great, inexpensive price, so what do I know? :cheeky: I know that we get quite a bit more per month for our one BR in Lakeview, so I think you got an awesome deal, Suchende!

I spend a lot of time in Des Plaines and it definitely has nicer and not so nice areas. Glenview is near Des Plaines and has some GORGEOUS areas, we would have lived there if we found the right house.

And you definitely need to be prepared for our awesome food! Once you move here we should start a Best of Chicago thread to get you acquainted with all of our amazing eateries.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Haven|1298422638|2857565 said:
Once you move here we should start a Best of Chicago thread to get you acquainted with all of our amazing eateries.

Haven, fantastic idea!!! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results