shape
carat
color
clarity

getting lost in stupid stuff

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
4ever|1297316151|2848278 said:
I have a bazillion invitaion sites/designs bookmarked and I don't even have a venue yet.

Can't. Stop. Looking. At. Pretty. Invations. :errrr:
Oh, invitations are endlessly wonderful. All those pretty designs, all those lovely fonts, all those endless possibilities for the mood and feel of your wedding! I think it's the most fun when you don't have a venue - anything can happen so the invitation world is your oyster!

When you actually have to make a decision? So. Much. Harder.

PS - have you ever seen Monumental Designs? They were out of my price range, but man I could look at them for hours.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
4ever|1297316151|2848278 said:
I have a bazillion invitaion sites/designs bookmarked and I don't even have a venue yet.
Can't. Stop. Looking. At. Pretty. Invations. :errrr:
I got lost in that, too. Didn't have a venue or anything else, really, but spent hours looking at stationery. So pretty!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
YAY! More people are playing in the sandbox! :appl: :appl: :appl: Hi Future Girl!!! :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

FutureMrs.S: I agree with SB entirely on getting the bling factor from earrings. I love simplicity of the no-necklace look, or the little bit of extra oomph of a small pendant. ESPECIALLY if you're planning on wearing your hair up! There's just something very romantic about a bare neck/decolletage...at least in my opinion! (Oh, and I like to think I'm pretty fun...but I agree with SB...threads like this are way more fun...and helpful...when there are lots of people sharing ideas!)

Future Girl! I spent HOURS drooling over invitations...and then we booked our venues and photog and went slightly over budget on all of them...so we cut the stationary budget down to almost nil. ;( As much as I LOVE beautiful invitations...neither FI nor myself placed them very high on the "worth the money" list. But I STILL get caught up in looking at them...all. the. time. How's life on the other side of the world? Still doing Sushi Fridays??? :bigsmile:

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Do you know what's less fun? Undoing all the abbreviations from the guest address list, researching everyone's formal names, and figuring out how to address the envelopes when we aren't doing inner envelopes.

Ugh.

At least all this work turns into pretty pretty calligraphy!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
sillyberry|1297379937|2848842 said:
Do you know what's less fun? Undoing all the abbreviations from the guest address list, researching everyone's formal names, and figuring out how to address the envelopes when we aren't doing inner envelopes.

Ugh.

At least all this work turns into pretty pretty calligraphy!

Yeah...that's something I'm going to have to figure out as well. I guess the joy of having a "casually elegant" theme is that if the addressing of envelopes isn't *quite* right, I don't think people will mind.

Besides...I'm not even sure FI's family is that particular about such conventions. (FI also keeps insisting that we send the invite to his grandma addressed to "Grandma S____" instead of "Mrs. M___ S____"...oh well!)

4ever

Ideal_Rock
The problem with my invitation obsession is the ones I REALLY love are $$$$ and my stationary budget will be more like $ and I will probably try and make them myself (with the help of my MOH's mum who is a scrapbooking ninja) spending as little as humanly possible.

I also have a wedding DIY obsession. I want to make my wedding dress. Unfortunatly I am not talented with a sewing machine, but at least I'm realistic enough to realise any wedding dress I could make would look a little bit spastic. Oh well.

Taken the day off tomorrow to see a venue I think will be THE ONE. Here's hoping!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
4ever|1297403218|2849099 said:
The problem with my invitation obsession is the ones I REALLY love are $$$$ and my stationary budget will be more like $ and I will probably try and make them myself (with the help of my MOH's mum who is a scrapbooking ninja) spending as little as humanly possible.

I also have a wedding DIY obsession. I want to make my wedding dress. Unfortunatly I am not talented with a sewing machine, but at least I'm realistic enough to realise any wedding dress I could make would look a little bit spastic. Oh well.

Taken the day off tomorrow to see a venue I think will be THE ONE. Here's hoping!

I feel you on budget woes...but at least you have people who can totally help you with awesome DIY versions! As for the dress...I'm glad you recognize your own...shortcomings...when it comes to sewing. Have you guys picked a date yet? Or will that be dependent upon what's available at THE VENUE? (Fingers crossed it really is "the one"!!!)

4ever

Ideal_Rock
VC- The date is very much dependant on the venue at this point.

Ok I have now written too much and it's not really about the stupid small stuf, it's about the big exspnseive and important stuff so I'll just start another thread.

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
Can I play too? I've lost LOADS of time looking at stupid stuff.

I love stationery but we're now DIYing. I don't have a scrapbooking ninja on "staff" :lol: but I do have the assistance of my awesome little sister who just made her own wedding invites (which were equally awesome). Between my sister and the advice from you ladies, it'll be easy peasy :bigsmile:

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Echidna|1297594794|2850667 said:
Can I play too? I've lost LOADS of time looking at stupid stuff.

I love stationery but we're now DIYing. I don't have a scrapbooking ninja on "staff" :lol: but I do have the assistance of my awesome little sister who just made her own wedding invites (which were equally awesome). Between my sister and the advice from you ladies, it'll be easy peasy :bigsmile:
Welcome to the inanity. :))

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I have spent longer picking colours than picking the venue.

It's just so HARD to commit to a colour sceme for a wedding because almost everything you can choose will be that colour (if your like me and need everything to be freakishly co-ordinated), flowers, BM dress, ties, my shoes, table decorations, cake decorations, invitations; so, all the fun stuff.

Rae~

Shiny_Rock
I just ordered our invitations from weddingpaperdivas last night and then this morning read this thread to see you ladies were talking about the company as well. :) I am really hoping they look nice IRL - the pics on the site are fairly ordinary, IMO.

Now to figure out what paper stuff we need on the day - programmes, seating charts etc etc. I like doing it but I just hope I can work out a way to make it look as gorgeous as I imagine it!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Rae~|1297659645|2851229 said:
I just ordered our invitations from weddingpaperdivas last night and then this morning read this thread to see you ladies were talking about the company as well. :) I am really hoping they look nice IRL - the pics on the site are fairly ordinary, IMO.

Now to figure out what paper stuff we need on the day - programmes, seating charts etc etc. I like doing it but I just hope I can work out a way to make it look as gorgeous as I imagine it!

Hi Echidna and Rae~ :wavey: Welcome to the Stupid Stuff Sandbox!

Rae~ ...while none of my friends have ordered their invites from WPD, friends ordered their save the dates and rehearsal invites through them, and they were both lovely and good quality. I'll also be ordering my RD invites from them. I'm excited to see how they turn out!

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
My MOH did the bachelorette invitations through WPD and they're super super cute!

Instead of studying I played around with making a zazzle t-shirt based on some wedding doodles I purchased off myfonts.com.

Which is why I'm totally going to be taking the July Bar, too. At least then I won't have a wedding to distract me...

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
Good stuff, Sillyberry :lol: I'd never thought of t-shirts...

Today, instead of working on a HUGE project that I really need to go well, I mused over our table centrepieces. Again. Mused over DIYing them. AGAIN. Mused over tulips (what I want) versus roses (much easier to source). AGAIN. Mused over tiny fishbowl vases crammed full of flowers versus long rectangular vases with more loose arrangements. AGAIN. I have not come to a conclusion. AGAIN!!!

For the love of all that is holy, WHY did no one tell me that this would be so hard?! I am such a decisive person in real life...

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Echidna|1297744299|2852136 said:
For the love of all that is holy, WHY did no one tell me that this would be so hard?! I am such a decisive person in real life...
I think because you only do it once (if all goes well, anyway). I mean, if you don't like your bedding, you can replace it. Buy a crappy computer? Buy a new one. Pick a lousy vacation spot? The next one will be better. Hate your job? Go back to school and start a new career.

But this is your WEDDING!!! with all that entails. And it represents YOU and YOUR LOVE!!! So you have to decide whether you are a ballroom bride, or a vineyard bride, or a backyard bride, or a beach bride...and then once you've distilled down the essence of your being, you have to come up with all the details that will be MEMORABLE and representative of YOU!!! Are you modern, or traditional, or quirky, or vintage... What kind of favors should I give? Band or DJ? How can I arrive in style to the event? What is the perfect first dance number to make everyone cry? And how can I do all of this without selling an organ or two?

So, yeah, it seems really hard. And the funniest part is that I swear by and large the bride is the only one who has fully formed thoughts about the centerpieces - and then is too busy to notice them! Most people just want to watch their loved ones get married eat good food and have a fun time (and if they're single maybe find someone to go home with at the end of the night for raucous drunken post-wedding luvin'). But it sure doesn't seem like that during the planning process, does it?!?!? Occasionally I have to stop and remind myself of all of this when I get too crazy obsessing. Usually calms me down only long enough to start up obsessing again.

Weddings are incredibly stupid, when you think about it. :lol:

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
sillyberry|1297746741|2852160 said:
Echidna|1297744299|2852136 said:
I think because you only do it once (if all goes well, anyway). I mean, if you don't like your bedding, you can replace it. Buy a crappy computer? Buy a new one. Pick a lousy vacation spot? The next one will be better. Hate your job? Go back to school and start a new career.

But this is your WEDDING!!! with all that entails. And it represents YOU and YOUR LOVE!!! So you have to decide whether you are a ballroom bride, or a vineyard bride, or a backyard bride, or a beach bride...and then once you've distilled down the essence of your being, you have to come up with all the details that will be MEMORABLE and representative of YOU!!! Are you modern, or traditional, or quirky, or vintage... What kind of favors should I give? Band or DJ? How can I arrive in style to the event? What is the perfect first dance number to make everyone cry? And how can I do all of this without selling an organ or two?

So, yeah, it seems really hard. And the funniest part is that I swear by and large the bride is the only one who has fully formed thoughts about the centerpieces - and then is too busy to notice them! Most people just want to watch their loved ones get married eat good food and have a fun time (and if they're single maybe find someone to go home with at the end of the night for raucous drunken post-wedding luvin'). But it sure doesn't seem like that during the planning process, does it?!?!? Occasionally I have to stop and remind myself of all of this when I get too crazy obsessing. Usually calms me down only long enough to start up obsessing again.

Weddings are incredibly stupid, when you think about it. :lol:

I couldn't agree more. SO much pressure to do it "right" and not regret anything because you only do this once (hopefully). I'm trying really hard to focus on being a good host and just giving people a good night. The funny thing is that so many people are already looking forward to the wedding because they think it will be so much fun. I'm hoping that is a self-fulfilling prophecy as much as anything... :bigsmile:

PS. I have actually joked about selling organs to finance this shindig. Glad to know I'm not the only one :tongue:

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Oooo! New sweating the small stuff update:

DanielM is starting work on my bridesmaid gift (bezeled gemstone RHRs similar to his pendants and earrings) and will hopefully have his hands on my pear amethyst from Tan to set for my wedding pendant! Hooray! :appl:

This week at work has been horrendous, so I haven't had much time to play with fun wedding stuff. ;( But hopefully things will improve soon! Any updates from you ladies???

PS: Any chance selling that kidney would also help me lose the last 10 lbs? :confused:

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
vc, those gifts sound lovely! I'm a big fan of the Daniel M jewelry.

My life is currently awful. The Bar is next week. According to BarBri I am only 55% through the paced program, as opposed to the 100% I am supposed to be. There have also been non-stop plumbing issues caused by the freak hard freeze we had a few weeks ago and a friend has been in crisis that I've been trying to help deal with. FML.

I got the address list to the calligrapher yesterday and decided sunflowers would work nicely as centerpieces for the BBQ...that's pretty much been the extent of my wedding activity. Boo. I too can't wait for everything to calm down so I can get back to thinking about happy things!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
sillyberry|1297982687|2854228 said:
vc, those gifts sound lovely! I'm a big fan of the Daniel M jewelry.

My life is currently awful. The Bar is next week. According to BarBri I am only 55% through the paced program, as opposed to the 100% I am supposed to be. There have also been non-stop plumbing issues caused by the freak hard freeze we had a few weeks ago and a friend has been in crisis that I've been trying to help deal with. FML.

I got the address list to the calligrapher yesterday and decided sunflowers would work nicely as centerpieces for the BBQ...that's pretty much been the extent of my wedding activity. Boo. I too can't wait for everything to calm down so I can get back to thinking about happy things!

OMG the Bar is SO SOON! You will be just fine, I'm sure!!! In the meantime, I expect to not see you around these parts since you SHOULD be studying **menacing glare**...

Yay for calligraphy and sunflowers, though! I'm in the process of trying to figure out which ladies need what (as far as hair and makeup) before the wedding, and working on a giant email to FFIL and FMIL about the rehearsal.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Current obsession is my invites.

I'm having them custom made through this place:

http://www.revelryinvitations.com/

Definitely not cheap but so much fun!

And lots of lovely invites for you invite-obsessed brides to drool over ;))

Once I get the hard copy proof, I'll share some pics.

Rae~

Shiny_Rock
So I received the proofs to approve for printing for our invitations and Thank You cards from weddingpaperdivas.com. We had planned to get the Thank You cards to match the invitations as those two items are the only stationery we are actually sending out to people, so I thought it might be nice if they match. Not a huge deal, just would be nice.

Anyway, the proofs came in and I see that on the back of the Thank You cards (which are small-ish (5.12 inches x 3.75 inches), folded cards with our two first names on the front) is an advertisement for the website. :o

I am so disappointed. I don't want our wedding stationery to be used as an advertising billboard! (OK, slight exaggeration, I know, but...) I feel it looks like those free business cards you can get on the internet, where the printer's name is plastered all over the back. But we would be PAYING (a pretty penny, I might add) to advertise for them! :nono:

Am I over-reacting? Is this, in fact, a reasonable thing for the company to do? Just trying to see if my love of pretty stationery is clouding my judgement. :D

I had requested the removal of the advertising from the TY cards, and the company replied with a "We have made the changes you requested" email, but further down that email had a statement that said: "Logo: Please note that our logo will appear on the back of your thank you cards to give the designer credit, but it will not appear on wedding invitations, response cards, reception cards, enclosure cards or envelopes." So... that change you said you'd made... not so much, huh? lol. And it's not just a simple logo, or just the designer's name - it's also the company's name, the company's website, AND the company's printing company name.

But thankfully the invitations are "clean".

So, we have the choice of asking for a refund for the Thank You cards (no idea if they would even give us one, although I'd certainly be arguing my point, given that the advertising didn't appear on the "draft" the site displayed BEFORE we paid), or accepting the advertising.

Blah. Stupid Stuff!! :rolleyes:

KittyGolightly

Brilliant_Rock
Rae~, I completely understand. I ordered my Save-the-Dates from WeddingPaperDivas, and I was really irritated by the giant (okay, maybe not *that* giant, but unnecessarily big) logo on the back. If it makes you feel any better, I doubt anyone but you will notice the logo on the back. Usually, people are just really happy to get thank you cards for their gifts in a timely manner.

I have a stationery-related gripe. I've been looking for bilingual Chinese/English invitations, and I finally found a website that appears to have nice invitations (h2cards). The invitation I like doesn't come with dual envelopes, just the outer gummed one. Huge bummer for me. So now I have to figure out if I just want to send out the invites without the inner envelope or try to find matching envelopes from some other vendor. Grr.

KittyGolightly

Brilliant_Rock
rosetta|1297983705|2854237 said:
Current obsession is my invites.

I'm having them custom made through this place:

http://www.revelryinvitations.com/

Definitely not cheap but so much fun!

And lots of lovely invites for you invite-obsessed brides to drool over ;))

Once I get the hard copy proof, I'll share some pics.

Those are gorgeous invites! They look like presents. :))

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
Rae~|1298005095|2854508 said:
Am I over-reacting? Is this, in fact, a reasonable thing for the company to do? Just trying to see if my love of pretty stationery is clouding my judgement. :D

Nope, Rae, I don't think that's acceptable. Especially as you didn't know about it until AFTER you ordered the TY cards :nono:

A discreet logo/company name on the back is one thing; advertising is something else. I'd ditch the TY cards and get those somewhere else. That said, I would be doing it on principle rather than because anyone would notice. As Kitty said, no one will really care.

Rae~

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the responses.

I agee that most people probably wouldn't notice. It still irks *me*, though, (or should I say, *us*) so I've sent a polite email requesting a refund for that portion of the order, and explaining why. Hopefully they will agree!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Rae~|1298029701|2854597 said:
Thanks for the responses.

I agee that most people probably wouldn't notice. It still irks *me*, though, (or should I say, *us*) so I've sent a polite email requesting a refund for that portion of the order, and explaining why. Hopefully they will agree!

Internet Explorer at my post! ;(

Basically, the gist was that, while I don't think the printing on the back would even be noticed by your friends and family, Rae~, I totally understand 1) why you wouldn't want it there and 2) why you would be requesting a refund, ESPECIALLY since there was no mention of the logo/whatever on the back of the card during the ordering or design process.

Keep us posted, and I will keep my fingers crossed that they offer a refund. If not, I would take the cards and still use them, since they're cohesive with your invites. Maybe you can get little labels to put on the back to cover up the advert?

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Rae, how big is the logo? If it were me, I might be annoyed for a bit, but my preference for matching stationary would win out over something no one would notice! They SHOULD make it clear however that there will be a logo and on what products it will be featured. If you have something in hand, you can look on the back and see if there is a logo (and there often is), but buying online means they should err on the side of excess disclosure.

KittyGolightly, I think these days no inner envelope is totally acceptable. My graphic designer was saying more and more people are forgoing the inner envelope, which saves money (on paper and postage) and is a lot easier to find.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
oh my gosh while y'all are getting lost in stupid stuff I am getting lost in...nothing??? how on earth do I decide on anything--it seems like there are SO many choices!

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
slg47|1298048919|2854746 said:
oh my gosh while y'all are getting lost in stupid stuff I am getting lost in...nothing??? how on earth do I decide on anything--it seems like there are SO many choices!
I was fairly decisive, in that I knew where I wanted to get married and the big stuff fell into place from there, but my best recommendation is to pick SOMETHING that you can start from. Whether it is the venue, the dress, the food, just choose SOMETHING. If you know you've always wanted to be married outdoors in a garden, start looking for those places. Or if you can't see yourself in anything but a ballgown, start finding venues that will cater to that aesthetic. If you want to be wearing a tea-length 1950's dress, you're probably looking at totally different venues. Or perhaps you want a 5-course sit-down dinner or a cocktail reception highlighting your regional favorites. Similarly, each of those choices lend themselves better to certain locations and dresses than others.

Does that help at all?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results