color
clarity

"Just Barely" Pregnant PS''ers

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
Re:

Just a quick fly by ladies

Charbie - Congrats on "coming out" to the boss. I am glad she took it so well

Lizzyann - I am so very sorry to hear about your loss, but it looks like you are finding some great support. Good luck moving forward and I hope you can get KU just as quickly and that you will have a sticky little bean. HUGE hug!

Blen - OMG, your little belly has definitely popped. It's crazy how it seems to do that overnight, lol. Mine did it last week, so the secret is out.

To all the other JBP ladies, lots of luck and see you soon in the preggo thread!

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Re:

Just dropping by very quickly to send my thoughts and prayers to Lizzy. Im sorry for your loss ::hugs::
I haven't had much time to chime in, and probably won't until later in the week, but today is 13 weeks for me yay!!!
I'll reply back to everyone later on in the week!

January

Rough_Rock
Re:

Hi ladies,

First, Lizzy - I am so very sorry for your early loss. It sounds like you know exactly how to access the resources that support you the most. I encourage you to keep doing that, and I truly hope to see you back here very soon. Hug that little boy of yours, and have faith, as I believe Dreamer said. Sending much love to you - take good care. Thanks for your bra suggestions! It helps so much to have experienced mamas in these threads.

Whew, time is sort of flying here! Let me jump right in.

Princessplease - Thank you for the welcome! I hadn't heard of the nub theory, that is interesting. I'm curious to test my guessing skills when that time comes for us! I'll be curious to see if your "pink" hunch is correct.

Modern - thanks for the warm welcome! Congrats on your "graduation" to the big girl thread - looking forward to seeing you there shortly!

Blen - thanks for the welcome. And I agree that I have noticed a trend of infantilizing pregnant women. What is that about? Your bump is adorable, thanks for posting those great belly pics. Love that you called it your "burrito baby!" Your DH's comment is funny - I think Lizzy's right, he probably gets nervous and then thinks "I'll throw them WAY off the scent" not realizing that they will remember what he said in a few weeks when he shares the news!

Mrs - thanks for the welcome, and I'm definitely looking into some sleep bras this weekend. This week has been a little worse, even. Since I now pee every 2.5 hours all night long, every time I get up, when gravity hits, ouch! I think a nice soft bra at night would feel great. Congrats on your moving to the pregnant thread - see you there!

Dcgator - another graduation! Congrats, lady! That's great news that your scan results were excellent - hoping the 2nd trimester is awesome for you. Hoping to join you in the big girl thread soon.

Charbie - So glad your boss took the news well and was supportive! That's cute that your DH announced to his buddies at the super bowl party. Since we were so lucky on the first try, my DH has similarly embraced the "my boys can swim!" attitude. It's kind of cute, because that's not his typical style.

AFM - I am 7 weeks tomorrow. very much looking forward to our first visit 2 weeks from today, where they will check for a heartbeat but likely not do an U/S unless there is a compelling reason, which I'm ok with. If all looks good (fingers crossed for a nice strong heartbeat) we will be heading to our hometown that weekend to tell our parents, then call siblings, etc. I think we'll probably make our facebook debut at week 12 around St. Patty's Day! Exciting!

Symptoms-wise, not too much to report. Feeling more gaggy all day, which makes eating difficult, but so long as I have lots of options around, I'm ok. I'm starting to feel more bloated, but definitely no bump to speak of yet.

Alright, I may go to bed in the next hour or so - fatigue is setting in!

Sleep tight, pretty mamas.

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Re:

So funny. I hate the full belly pants, as they just get so itchy and hot. I love the elastic waist, under-the-belly styles, but then of course you run into issues when your belly is so big that your maternity shirts can't fit all the way over them anymore.

I feel like most taller women I know carry more compactly, like you guys are talking about, all up and down the torso. But my lower belly area just pops outwards instead. I caught my boss looking at it once today, but couldn't figure out if he was actually looking at it or if he was just happening to look in that direction. I'm debating telling him, versus waiting until a heartbeat (fingers crossed!) next Tuesday. Or waiting until 12 weeks, haha.

January - I too am counting down the days until my first appointment. It would be a lot of fun to tell all your family in person!

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Re:

First off, ladies you are the best! thanks for all of the support.

Charbie, you should totally try the bella band over your pants. I remember in the beginning of my pregnancy, I felt I just looked fat. I found the pants that stopped below my belly gave me muffin top, so the pants with the belly panel just smoothed it out so I just had one belly instead of two (muffin top and baby belly!)

Dc, thanks for the dust! I sure do need all i can get!

Princess, thank you for your kind words! And congrats on 13 weeks! Second trimester here you come!

January, thank you so much! I'm just going to keep on going! Persevere and have faith! Let us know if you pick up one of the sleep bras! I think you'll really like em!

Blen, I hear you on the fact that the belly panels get hot. But I totally needed the panel otherwise I looked like I had two bellies!!! I am a size 10/12 about 5'7" and most people would guess I am a smaller size than I actually am, but I carry my weight in my belly, so if my pants are too tight at all I get serious muffin top. The panels helped hide my belly button too that was protruding later on!!!

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Re: Re:

lizzyann01|1297222281|2847234 said:
Blen, I hear you on the fact that the belly panels get hot. But I totally needed the panel otherwise I looked like I had two bellies!!! I am a size 10/12 about 5'7" and most people would guess I am a smaller size than I actually am, but I carry my weight in my belly, so if my pants are too tight at all I get serious muffin top. The panels helped hide my belly button too that was protruding later on!!!

Do we have the same body? Bc you are describing me. :)
I have always been able to stick my stomach out freakishly far if I pushed it, but just standing up normal it was just a little jiggly. Im approaching the freakishly far push out without trying, and sucking it in isn't comfy anymore.

Im in the throws of all day sickness. Whoever coined the term "morning sickness" can suck it. Im not barfing...just gagging, heaving, then ok. Otherwise ill have a few hours a day of just general nausea. I literally broke down and cried to DH today that I hope I feel better soon.

Oh and my bladder also got the memo today that im pregnant. I've avoided the whole peeing every five mins until today. I had to alternate bathrooms I went to at work so our receptionist didn't get suspicious ;-)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re:

Charbie I also had all day sickness in both my pregnancies, no heaving, but feeling like crap. For me, a constant supply of simple carbs worked best -- chips, bread, pizza. All the good stuff :rolleyes: It peaked around 9-12 weeks then petered off.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock

Dreamer_D|1297274228|2847707 said:
Charbie I also had all day sickness in both my pregnancies, no heaving, but feeling like crap. For me, a constant supply of simple carbs worked best -- chips, bread, pizza. All the good stuff :rolleyes: It peaked around 9-12 weeks then petered off.

Me too! I never puked, but was just nauseous all day long... All I could do was constantly eat crackers, bread, pasta, etc.. (carbs that helped absorb the nausea, and helped my butt to widen!)

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Re:

I've pretty much only been feeling m/s lately while on the metro home. Hot, jolting, too many people, just before dinner. It's like a perfect storm for feeling crappy.

I had some brown spotting earlier today and kind of freaked out. I know that brown is relatively okay, and that Dreamer had something similar at around this time that ended fine, but my miscarriage started with brown spotting and then moved to red... The midwife on call asked if I wanted an ultrasound and I said yes! and they were able to work me in today. Baby is measuring 9 weeks exactly and had a strong heartbeat of 158 bpm. I am so relieved. :D

US - 8w6d.jpg

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Re:

Blen, what a huge sigh of relief! I am so glad to hear all is well. Bet it felt so good to see your little one on the big screen!

modernsparkler

Brilliant_Rock
Re:

Lizzy: Sorry for the late reply, but I wanted to say I am sorry for your loss.

Blen: Glad to know the LO is ok and you got to see the heartbeat!

Charbie: Hope you start feeling better soon. I was (and still am) using carbs to curb the nausea somewhat and finally at almost 14 weeks I don't want to vomit every second of the day. Many will agree, that zofran is amazing! It made it possible for me to work and eat for weeks 9-13.

lili

Ideal_Rock
Re:

Blenheim--
:appl: :appl: cute little bean!
So happy to hear that things are moving along for you.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Blenheim|1297305070|2848135 said:
I've pretty much only been feeling m/s lately while on the metro home. Hot, jolting, too many people, just before dinner. It's like a perfect storm for feeling crappy.

I had some brown spotting earlier today and kind of freaked out. I know that brown is relatively okay, and that Dreamer had something similar at around this time that ended fine, but my miscarriage started with brown spotting and then moved to red... The midwife on call asked if I wanted an ultrasound and I said yes! and they were able to work me in today. Baby is measuring 9 weeks exactly and had a strong heartbeat of 158 bpm. I am so relieved. :D

EEk, so scary, I know. The assurance I got was that if it does not get worse, or turn bright red, and appears to go away then you are ok. But it can go either way, and there is not way to know. I was actually about 12 weeks when I had my spotting, and it came after being constipated and too much, um, straining 8) Sex can also cause it. I think with second/third etc pregnancies the cervix is just a little more irritable and reacts to things more.

My MW also told me that if the "spotting" is only when you wipe or check internally they do not even call it spotting! Hopefully yours was that type too, though seeing the baby all healthy and wiggly on the u/s pretty much says things are a-ok, a little more reassurance never hurt.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Tuckins1|1297299123|2848065 said:
Dreamer_D|1297274228|2847707 said:

Me too! I never puked, but was just nauseous all day long... All I could do was constantly eat crackers, bread, pasta, etc.. (carbs that helped absorb the nausea, and helped my butt to widen!)

I will say the problem with this methos is the insane weight gain ;)) Both my pregnancies have been the same, about a pound per week from day one!

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Re:

LizzyAnn, ModernSparkler, Lili, Dreamer - thank you!!

Dreamer - Some did make it onto my underwear, although it was never terribly heavy. I have no idea what brought it on but it has stopped, thank God. I couldn't remember exactly how far along you were, but knew that it was later in the first tri! I guess I was a couple of weeks off.

I went ahead and told my boss today. He was very happy for me, and it ended up going both better and worse than I thought. Better, in that I have been dealing with crazy-pants coworker and I haven't wanted him to think that my complaints were because I was hormonal and irrational, but rather because she is crazy and volatile, but during our meeting he told me to tell him immediately if I get any trouble from her at all. (She has quite the HR file at this point, from multiple people's complaints, and so I am hopeful that this won't be an issue for much longer...) Worse, in that I recently got assigned to our department's toughest area, which is good in my mind, but he's now worried that it will stress me too much and be bad for the baby. After our talk, I really don't think that his concern is going to affect anything other than him periodically asking me if I am being overworked, so I don't think it will be problematic.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Re:

Blen: sorry about the spotting, but YAY for a precious little nugget in there! So cute...crazy how my US from two weeks before the dating on yours is literally a blob, and now its actually humanesque :bigsmile: im sure it was also a relief to tell your boss. I felt much better once mine knew. Hopefully you're right and you'll be able to continue advancing your career!

MS: sorry your m/s was so wretched! While I've been uncomfortable, I've never felt like I was at a point where I needed meds to control it. glad its feeling like its clearing up for you!

Tuckins and Dreamer: yummo carbs...mmmm. I've snacked on pretzels mostly, and just added fresh fruit to the mix as well. Im also munch on carrots...really trying to be good and not over indulge. The key for me has just been listening to my body, not going too long without eating.

January: seems like things are just moving along swimmingly! Your ultrasound will be here before you know it!

AFM: 9.5 weeks down! Yay! Next u/s is on the 22nd....then ill really breathe a sigh of relief. I get nervous that my symptoms are fading or somethings wrong bc I've had some crazy cramping....and then an hour later im gagging again.
I mentioned the girl at work who's also pregnant a bit ago....she's so drama filled with this whole pregnany that its making it more fun for me to keep my pregnancy a secret. She told me a few weeks ago when she first announced that she conceived in Nov. I remembered her saying she had an awful period in Dec tho, so I just shrugged it off. She had her dating ultrasound today...and is due the same exact week as me. It crack me up bc she was telling people she's 13 weeks but she's really 9! She was telling peole she's gotten so big, wearing maternity clothes, etc...she said she's probably having twins....all that jazz. But....just one baby in there. I know you start showing sooner with subsequent pregnancies....but dang this girl is milking it. Bawahahaha.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Re:

Just popping in real quick before OB appt to say:

Blen- Sorry about the spotting, but glad your bean is nice and cozy in there!

I probably won't get back to everyone until midweek. This work then school, then not home till 9:30pm is killing me ;(

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Re:

Blen- Glad to hear it went well with the boss!!!!

Char- Hope the 22nd comes uber fast for you!!!!!

AFM, 14 weeks tomorrow, so I think it's time to graduate to the big girl thread! Had my first apt with an actual OB and not nurse, so that was good. Baby's heart was beating strong, so the doc was happy. I go for the big scan on 3/14, and in addition to that, he requested a special u/s of the baby's heart as DH was born with unknown heart issues. He didn't seemed worried at all, but wants to make sure baby's heart looks normal due to DH's unknown issues at birth.

bubbly1126

Brilliant_Rock
Re:

Blen, glad everything is okay with the baby. Love your ultrasound picture! Also glad that everything went well with the boss! That's always a plus!

Charbie, glad everything is going well. I'm hoping the 22nd comes fast for you!

Princessplease, sad to see you "graduate" and leave us but it's also a very good thing! And we'll all be joining you soon. I figured I'll graduate on over when I'm 13 weeks. Which is in just over a week. :bigsmile:

AFM, I am 11w3days and had my second check up today. Got to hear the heartbeat! :love: Gosh, it's just amazing and still so unreal that there is a baby in there! lol. The 21st is my NT scan and I can't wait to see my little peanut again!! I haven't been sick in about 3 weeks now but have instead adopted pure nausea 24/7. It sucks. Dr says I have to start eating when I wake up to going to the bathroom during the night... which is a million times per night, I swear. lol. They think I am going too long during the night without food that my blood sugar is dropping so low it's trying to catch up all day which is giving me all day nausea. Makes sense. So I will be keeping some crackers or something next to my bed from now on. Other than that, I haven't gained at all. In fact, I lost a pound. Trust me, I am shocked especially with how much I am eating. I don't get where it's all going but hey, I'll take it!

Anyway, I hope everyone is doing well. I may not post often but I'm always stopping by to check in on how everyone is doing. I love reading about you and your beans. :love:

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Re:

Charbie, too funny about you knowing better than your coworker how far along she is.

IHA - Sorry you're still feeling yucky. The heartbeat is just amazing!

Princess - Congrats on a good scan and on graduating to the big girl thread!

AFM - I got a stomach bug on Friday (midwife thinks it sounds more consistent with a stomach bug than with sudden onset, violent morning sickness) and I'm still not 100%. I don't know how you girls with bad morning sickness do it, I really don't. I had a hard time leaving my bed/bathroom over the weekend, dragged myself to work today, and am back in bed now. My body needs to chill out or something. The bad head cold, spotting, and now this. Just too much drama going on!

First midwife appointment tomorrow, which I am excited about.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Re:

IHA: I've woken up starving/sick before, so yes, id also suggest keeping something by your bed. Even just some juice and oyster crackers may do the trick. Im not waking up to pee in the middle of the night every night....just if I've drank a lot before bed, or else id try to get in a midnight snack too.

Blen: about the coworker...I mean, come on...she does all these stupid gender predictor tests online, but can't use a due date calculator? I think she just really enjoys the drama. How was the appt today? All go as planned? Sorry to hear you were sick...my head cold I had in the beginning about made me crazy.

PP: see you soon over in the regular thread! Hope all goes well with the added scans...im sure it will all be fine. Sorry you aren't getting outta work and school until so late....I know you're in social work, are you getting a MSW?

AFM: gotta share a story. So my (.)(.) have been super sore. Last night as I was going to bed....no soreness. Woke up the a.m. feeling great, and no sore (.)(.) still! I was in the shower frantically groping myself to see if they may have some soreness, and started crying in the shower thinking, "this is it....I've lost the baby." About 10 mins later while drying my hair, the morning routine of gagging into the sink began. And I thought to myself, "I must still be preggo. What normal person cries over the fact that her (.)(.) don't hurt?" And dr google assured me that in the 10th week symptoms often come and go as the placenta begins taking over.

Im officially the hormonal crazy preggo lady.
and BTW: they are now sore this afternoon, probably from grabbing them all freakin day.

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Re:

Charbie - LOL, such a pregnant woman thing for you to do. :lol:

The appointment yesterday went pretty well. I didn't get to hear a heartbeat, but I know that ~10 weeks can be kind of touch and go with finding it via doppler, and I feel like she didn't try particularly hard or long since I saw the heartbeat last week. Everything else is checking out pretty okay.

I am pretty baffled by my belly right now. I know that things usually happen faster the 2nd+ time around, but seriously?! The baby's what, the size of an olive or a prune or something right now? My uterus may have expanded a little bit faster and my belly knows how to go out right now, but WHAT is taking up that much room? Lordy. I still haven't told anyone outside of immediate family and my supervisor (and you girls), and it's beginning to feel kind of ridiculous.

Oh, and I am down 1 lb from pre-pregnancy weight. Where did this all come from?

9w6d.JPG

fabcrab

Brilliant_Rock
Re:

Hi all!!!! I just want to say I'm really enjoying everyone's updates and baby bump photos!!!

So I'm not quite ready to join the barely preggers thread since I'm only between 4 and 5 weeks but I thought this embarassing story that happened today is more suited in this thread than TTC thread. So we have an on-site day care at my work that is very reasonable in price and everyone raves how wonderful it is. Problem is they have about a year long waiting list before you can get your child in and they prioritize children who already have siblings in the day care (makes sense). So today I thought it might not be a bad idea to put my name in the waiting list. So your access card at work needs to be activated in order for you to access the day care but as I knocked to let the receptionist know I was outside, I peered in the little door window and my BOSS was right there dropping off her kid. There's about 50/50 chance that she saw me...actually I'm pretty sure she saw and recognize me. Man, I bolted out of there as fast as I physically could even before the receptionist opened the door. :errrr: :errrr:

So just to give a quick update..I'll have my first ultrasound March 4th and hopefully hear a little strong heart beat. Only DH's parents know right now about the bean. The baby dust in the TTC thread worked wonders so I figured I'll join you awesome ladies here for more sticky bean dust.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Re:

Charb- I'm finishing up my MA in criminal justice. This is my last semester, so I feel like I have senioritis lol!!

Blen- Your bump is adorable!!

AFM, this will be my last update here, but I'll check in regularly to see how everyone is progressing as it's 14w2d yay!!!! This week I have been the most emotional EVER. Our clinical director told us she's leaving, so I started crying in the meeting when she told us. Then, I got my results from my comprehensive exam tests that I passed and cried, then had a really bad dream, and woke up at 4:00 am crying to DH. I'm a mess lol, and I'm NOT a crier by any means! I guess the hormones are catching up to me lol! I've kind of popped, but if you don't know me, you'd think I'd have spent a little too much time at McD lol!
I want to thank you ladies for all of your support during the 1st tri! I can't wait to see y'all in the big girl thread!!!! :appl: :appl:

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
Re:

Hey ladies,

Just a quick fly-by post to say:

Blen - Ahh, what a cute little bean and adorable little baby bump you have there. I am sorry for the scare, but glad everything is ok. I look forward to seeing you on the preggo thread soon. Btw, I have been meaning to ping you for another lunch date, but work is outta hand right now. Hopefully things will calm down in a couple weeks so I can have a social life again...

Charbie - Sorry for the naseau and for the non-hurting/hurting bb'ies. It def sounds to me like you are preggers lady, hehe. As for the coworker, ugh, get a life lady. I can't stand drama queens!

IHA - Sorry for the all day sickness, but year for hearing your little bean's heartbeat. I konw the NT scan can bring some stress, but you will forget it all when you see your little bean swimming around on screen. It's unreal to see how much they move around already!

Fabcrab - Welcome to the club and LOADS of sticky dust!

To all my other JBP ladies - Take care and see you all soon in the preggo thread!

bubbly1126

Brilliant_Rock
Re:

12w3d's for me today. I had my NT scan and all looks good. I cannot believe how different the baby looks! Tech asked if we wanted to know what we were having when it came time. We of course said yes and she smiled and said, well, I'm pretty sure I know already. So of course we had her tell us. She said BOY! She showed us the "money shot" and said she was pretty sure. We know it's still way early and she could be totally wrong but OMG, I'm so excited. And if it is indeed a boy, I will definitely be shocked. Only one person has guessed boy for me and that was my sister. Everyone else said girl. So we shall see!

The baby was moving around so much and kicking! Looked like it was really hard but of course, I couldn't feel it. But the tech and dr sure did get a kick out of how active he (or she) was. It was too cute!

I got some really good pictures... bare with me here as my laptop mouse is giving me issues today and it's taking me forever to maneuver around...

How is everyone? It's been kinda slow around here. I wanna hear all about your little ones!!

12w3d.jpg

HiEveryone.jpg

Suckingthumb.jpg

Hand.jpg

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Re:

Fab - OMG, I missed that you're pregnant! Congrats!!!

Princess - Congrats on moving up!

DCGator - Another lunch would be great! I've had zero energy plus a stomach bug, but then woke up on Thursday feeling wonderful. Second trimester relief a little bit early, perhaps? I hope so! Work's also been crazy for me and probably will be through the end of March, but I'm sure I can carve some time out at some point.

IHA - Aww, your baby looks so BABY-like. It just amazes me how much they develop between 9 weeks (huge headed gummy bear) and 12 weeks (baby!). So cute. And an early congrats on a possible boy. They're great!

AFM - Finally feeling a ton better. We've started to tell select people - our aunts, grandparents, good friends from way back. I had gained no weight at all, and then 5 lbs within the past week. Yikes. I think I've been splurging a little bit more figuring it was fine as I haven't been gaining weight, and it suddenly caught up to me. Seriously, last weekend included sausage, ice cream, scones, tenderloin with bernaise sauce, scallopped potatoes, flourless chocolate cake, spaghetti and meatballs. I ate a ton of salad and brussel sprouts and other veggies, but I guess that doesn't negate all the other stuff. I'm going to be more careful as 5 lbs in 1 week not a habit that I want to start!

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Re:

IHA: super cute pictures!
Blen: glad you're feeling better! I've been feeling prett good lately as well. :appl:

AFM: had my doc appt this morning and everythings looking good! It was a really quick "oh hey, here's the baby, hearts beating away, let me print you a picture" appt. My doc is very laid back, didn't take a specific reading on the hb (if he did, I don't know what it was), but you could clearly hear it and, there was a beat line like a monitor so you could "see it" as well.
ill try posting the pic later. The munchkin didn't want to cooperate very much and was squirming around so it was hard to get a good shot. It was kinda weird since it wasn't lying flat on its back like you usually see, it was sort of face down but moving back and forth.
My blood pressure was high when I got there (I assured them it was nerves) and did go back down by the end. I've lost 5.5 lbs, so he asked if I've been really sick, which I feel like its getting much better. I've just eaten much smaller portions bc I can't fill up the same way as before. I feel like im eating the same tho. Im not worrying tho, and he isn't worried right now either. Im SURE the lbs will find their way onto my body....tho if I can stick to <15lbs id be vrry pleased.

January

Rough_Rock
Re:

Hello mamas! Can't believe I haven't posted in so long...I've gotta keep up!

I'll get right to it:

Blenheim: eek, scary about the spotting, but sounds like all is well and your body is relaxing a bit for you now. And what a GREAT picture of your little bean!! Bonus! :appl: Bet it feels a little better to be "out" at work?

Charbie: Your co-worker story is cracking me up! Sounds like the girl needs a whole lot of attention.... is she really that disconnected with her body? Yikes. And yay for great news on today's appointment! I bet it feels so good each time you see that little black and white image! And oh, your pregnant lady story about crying about lack of sore bb's made me empathize with you! So glad Dr. Google calmed your fears - what a crazy state of hyper-awareness this pregnancy thing is!

Fabcrab: Gah!! re: your boss seeing you in the daycare!! Has she mentioned anything since??

Inhisarms: What amazing pictures you got!! Adorable! I agree with Blen, so baby-like! What a dramatic difference.

Princess: congrats on "moving on up!" We'll see you there soon!!

AFM, we finally had our first appointment today at 8w6d! We are seeing a midwife, and the one we got to see today is the director for midwifery services at the university hospital where we will deliver. She was FANTASTIC, and we instantly liked her. I feel confident that we will like all of the midwives there - love their style, philosophy etc. One little snag today, though. So when I first scheduled my appt., I had scheduled it with an OB. They said they would try to find a heartbeat, and do an ultrasound if they couldn't hear it with the doppler. Ok, cool with me. So I had in my head that once I got the confirmation today that everything was good to go, we would tell our families, and start being more "out" about it. In the meantime, I decided I'd rather see a midwife, and switched my provider. So today she informs me that their midwife practice does not routinely do early u/s like the OBs do, unless there is a real need, and since heartbeat can be hard to detect at this stage, that I would have to come back in a couple of weeks and they would check it for me. Well, hormonal pregnant lady welled up with tears, and said "I was really hoping I could hear a heartbeat or otherwise get some sense of assurance that things were going well today." She said "of course!" and told me we could do a quick ultrasound. Whew! I felt a little crazy, but she was so kind, and honestly I had to know!

It was weird, because I am in total agreement with the "less is more" model of care cognitively, but I really had it in my head that today my anxieties would be calmed by a heartbeat or a little flicker, and I couldn't STAND the thought of waiting two more weeks.

So, we tried an abdominal u/s but couldn't see much, so she busted out what I believe has been referred to here as the "dildo cam" and we got a great view of a little flickering heart!! :love: I was relieved, but not as overcome with emotion as I thought I would be. It just felt peaceful and happy. DH loved it.

So we're heading to our home town about an hour and a half away this weekend and are going to let our parents and our one living grandparent know in person. We're thrilled because this is the first great-grandchild for DH's grandma, and we know she'll be so excited. Yay!

In other news...

Sleep bra update: Found this number at the Gap this weekend:

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=426979&kwid=1&sem=false&sdReferer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gap.com%2Fproducts%2Fsport-bra.jsp%3Fmlink%3D5058%2C1901277%2C3%26amp%253Bclink%3D1901277

They were WAY on clearance and rang up at less than $5, so I snagged a few for the rotation. They are soft and just enough support to keep the girls from letting gravity do it's thing all night. I've felt much more comfortable!

Other than that, things are going great! Keep on baking, ladies, and we'll all be in that big girl thread before we know it!

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Re:

january- i totally understand that you'd be upset if you were hoping for an ultrasound and not getting one! i'd have been upset, too! i'd be crying, too! glad you got to see the healthy bean in there. i'm kinda sad i won't see my munchkin again until 19 weeks...8 whole weeks!

Here's the picture of the munchkin. My husband now affectionately calls our baby, "the 4cm baby." anyone else have a baby in a funky position? i won't be having an NT scan (shucks) - it wasn't even really discussed even though I have opted to have all testing done...i guess that's mostly going to be blood work?

183389_10100410162123735_12403988_62293866_6107186_n.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results