shape
carat
color
clarity

groomsmen suits? to rent or to buy?

pannini

Shiny_Rock
hello all!

my dear fiance is starting to get excited about his suit! he's going to buy his own- most likely a paul smith, or tom ford. what do we tell his groomsmen? do they rent? can you rent designer suits? does it have to be identical my fiance's suit? how does this work?

we're both clueless on the options for this process.

help!

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
I have no idea if one can rent designer suits, but my guess is probably not. I think if you're doing suits, as opposed to tuxes, you would probably be better off either asking them to wear a ____ suit (grey, navy, tan, powder blue) or selecting an inexpensive one for all the groomsmen to purchase (hey, if bridesmaids have to do it...).

I don't think being identical is necessary at all! We're just doing grey suits and will be providing the ties. Speaking of which...I really need to find ties...

pannini

Shiny_Rock
thanks sillyberry.

do the groomsmen ever wear suits of their own choice, so long as the color and material looks the same? i know my bridesmaids are all wearing different dresses (but all the same color palette)-- so why not for men too? i just wonder if it will make the men look mismatched.

maybe jcrew suits for purchase?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
pannini|1297645311|2851061 said:
thanks sillyberry.

do the groomsmen ever wear suits of their own choice, so long as the color and material looks the same? i know my bridesmaids are all wearing different dresses (but all the same color palette)-- so why not for men too? i just wonder if it will make the men look mismatched.

yeah, I think it is fine for the groomsmen to wear their own suits (just specify color). This way it is less $$ for them and the suit will actually fit! I plan on doing this (but of course will ask FI for his input...)

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
thanks sillyberry.

I think that's really common (and what we're doing). I'm hoping that the three groomsmen already own grey suits so they don't have to spend money. If the color or material is a little different, oh well - I'm not going to worry about that. And if they don't have a grey suit at all (ahem FBIL), well, it's about time they do. BLACK SUITS ARE NOT APPROPRIATE FOR EVERY OCCASION! Whew, glad to get that off my chest. :lol:

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
We did BOGO (buy one, get one) at Men's Wearhouse. We purchased all the suits up-front, covered a portion of the cost, had the guys pay for what it would have cost to rent a tux (about $100) and gifted the rest of the suit and the tie. This way, they at least walked away with a great suit. But I think it's fine to specify a color and that should be sufficient for everyone to look uniform.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
megumic|1297648581|2851097 said:
We did BOGO (buy one, get one) at Men's Wearhouse. We purchased all the suits up-front, covered a portion of the cost, had the guys pay for what it would have cost to rent a tux (about $100) and gifted the rest of the suit and the tie. This way, they at least walked away with a great suit. But I think it's fine to specify a color and that should be sufficient for everyone to look uniform.

This is pretty much what we're doing. The GMs are FI's brothers and neither of them currently owns a good suit. So, instead of making his parents foot the bill for a rental, we're going to buy them BOGO at MW and gift them. If we knew they each owned a black suit, however, I wouldn't hesitate to ask them to wear just a plain black suit and then provide them the tie to (ahem) "tie" the look together. I don't think the men all need to be uniform...ESPECIALLY if the ladies aren't!

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
thanks sillyberry.
This is what we did -- asked them all to wear black suits, black ties. Note that this ended up being a bit of an issue because some groomsmen did not have black suits, they only either had black tuxes or dark grey or navy suits. We had no idea black suits were uncommon and thought we'd be making their life easier. However, they either borrowed or bought and there were no bad feelings (at least I don't think there were).

pannini

Shiny_Rock
thanks all!

that definitely makes things easier for all parties involved!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results