shape
carat
color
clarity

Women 45+ years let's talk makeup

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I am 54 and had been using Prescriptives for years, but now you can only get it online with extremely limited choices. Before that I used Clinique(in my 20s and 30s), but going back to the Clinique counter nothing really impressed me even when the consultant tried a makeover. So now I am lost. So many choices, where do I go?

What I am looking for: a makeup that is lightweight but still offers enough coverage to hide any flaws. Sheer believable colors (especially blushes) and eyeshadows that do not sparkle, but shimmer slightly and have nice muted color choices (no bright colors)and sheer lip colors also without the sparkle.

So where does an old lady go to look pretty again and look years younger?

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
soocool|1296823517|2842738 said:
I am 54 and had been using Prescriptives for years, but now you can only get it online with extremely limited choices. Before that I used Clinique(in my 20s and 30s), but going back to the Clinique counter nothing really impressed me even when the consultant tried a makeover. So now I am lost. So many choices, where do I go?

What I am looking for: a makeup that is lightweight but still offers enough coverage to hide any flaws. Sheer believable colors (especially blushes) and eyeshadows that do not sparkle, but shimmer slightly and have nice muted color choices (no bright colors)and sheer lip colors also without the sparkle.

So where does an old lady go to look pretty again and look years younger?

Well, one of my workhorse eyeshadows is made by Lancome, and is a duo called "Crowned in Pink". It is a light sheen-y pink, with a darker pink/brown, also with a bit of sheen. I don't know your coloration, but it is my go-to whenever I just need eyeshadow and I'm not trying to coordinate with a particular color. I'm also currently using Nars blush in Deep Throat. A slightly shimmery light pink that is working really well for everyday.

Let me say here, that most of my life my skin has been oily. It still is, but I find I need more moisture and a higher sheen makeup now for some reason. Hence the sheen you keep seeing. I also used Prescriptives - their matte formula - and am currently working on my 'stash'. I notice now that alone, it is too cakey on me, and always mix it with a tiny bit of shimmer lotion/creme for spreadability. Like you I'm not exactly sure where I'm going to end up when my stash is gone...

Oh, and I am seriously loving Philosophy Miracle Worker. Retinoid pads. Nice and gentle and slowly evening out my skin tone. Highly recommend.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Mary Kay is great! I discovered it a few yrs ago at a friend's house & it is terrific makeup that doesn't look like it's there but does hide flaws. I especially love the Mineral Bronzing Power (blusher) -- looks completely natural. Good variety of colors of everything & types for all skins.

And it is reasonably priced -- you're not paying for fancy advertising, packaging, or sites in dept. stores. You should be able to find a rep by googling.

--- Laurie

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Hi, soocool,
I am a former Prescriptives user (sounds like drugs, huh?) and after that brand became harder to find, I switched to Aveda. The pricing is similar; the products don't bother my sensitive skin; it's available in "natural" colors, and lasts a long time.

Interestingly, Aveda was bought out by the Estee Lauder Company a while back, and I was concerned it would affect the quality/pricing of the line, but I haven't really noticed much change.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lula|1296830949|2842808 said:
Hi, soocool,
I am a former Prescriptives user (sounds like drugs, huh?) and after that brand became harder to find, I switched to Aveda. The pricing is similar; the products don't bother my sensitive skin; it's available in "natural" colors, and lasts a long time.

Interestingly, Aveda was bought out by the Estee Lauder Company a while back, and I was concerned it would affect the quality/pricing of the line, but I haven't really noticed much change.

And if you color your hair, Aveda is the best color on the planet, IMO. I go to an Aveda colorist and that stuff is so gentle, fades beautifully and never looks unnatural. Mmm!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I use Lancome Renergie Lift Makeup. It has nice coverage, without being too thick or matte looking. It has SPF 20, as well.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Lorelei|1296835816|2842885 said:
Hi Sooc's

I like Laura Mercier.

www.lauramercier.com

Thaks for the website. The nearest place for me to go to "try it on" would be Bloomingdales at the Willow Grove Mall. will have to make the trip to check out their colors. The flawless cream foundation looks interesting. My issue would be finding the right foundation color.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I have the Nars in Orgasm, but I really don't use it that much. I have the Prescriptives in Ginger and it gives me the right amount of color. I don't know why when I used the Nars it seems too much. Perhaps the Depp Throat may be a better color for me.

I use the Flawless Finish foundation and find it goes on better and looks better with a primer.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
soocool|1296837542|2842910 said:
Hi Sooc's

I like Laura Mercier.

www.lauramercier.com

Thaks for the website. The nearest place for me to go to "try it on" would be Bloomingdales at the Willow Grove Mall. will have to make the trip to check out their colors. The flawless cream foundation looks interesting. My issue would be finding the right foundation color.

Their SA's are normally pretty on the ball, they should be able to help you find the right shade.

I also forgot to mention I really like Guerlain makeup too, it isn't cheap but it is excellent quality and lasts well. I am currently using their Meteorites pressed powder and having a lot of fun with it, it isn't a harsh obvious sparkle like some but gives a subtle glow to the skin.

www.guerlain.com

soocool

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1296829638|2842786 said:
Mary Kay is great! I discovered it a few yrs ago at a friend's house & it is terrific makeup that doesn't look like it's there but does hide flaws. I especially love the Mineral Bronzing Power (blusher) -- looks completely natural. Good variety of colors of everything & types for all skins.

And it is reasonably priced -- you're not paying for fancy advertising, packaging, or sites in dept. stores. You should be able to find a rep by googling.

--- Laurie

I have always wanted to try Mary Kay and knew someone who used to sell it, but she moved. Can you find reps on line?

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Hi, soocool,

Where can you find Aveda? Is it only sold in salons? I have heard of Aveda, but did not know they had cosmetics.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
risingsun|1296836493|2842899 said:
I use Lancome Renergie Lift Makeup. It has nice coverage, without being too thick or matte looking. It has SPF 20, as well.

RS, I kinda like this. From what I can see online, it looks like they have some nice shades with a yellow rather than pink base.

Would you by any chance know how the Renergie compares with the Absolue BX?

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Lorelei|1296837914|2842919 said:
soocool|1296837542|2842910 said:
Hi Sooc's

I like Laura Mercier.

www.lauramercier.com

Their SA's are normally pretty on the ball, they should be able to help you find the right shade.

I also forgot to mention I really like Guerlain makeup too, it isn't cheap but it is excellent quality and lasts well. I am currently using their Meteorites pressed powder and having a lot of fun with it, it isn't a harsh obvious sparkle like some but gives a subtle glow to the skin.

www.guerlain.com

I checked and there is no Guerlain near me :cry: Would have been nice to check it out.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Soocool, I'm not 45+ but I'm still not what you'd call in the first flush of youth...

Bare Minerals work really well for me - it's a lighter, less 'made up' look that I think is very flattering for mature women. My mother uses bare minerals too, and she does look younger without traditional foundation and powder makeup (She's 70).

My best friend pointed out to me a while back that we used to wear makeup to look older and sneak into bars. If it made us look older then, why wouldn't it now? :bigsmile: I think she's right, and I look much younger with less.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jennifer W|1296841066|2842967 said:
Soocool, I'm not 45+ but I'm still not what you'd call in the first flush of youth...

Bare Minerals work really well for me - it's a lighter, less 'made up' look that I think is very flattering for mature women. My mother uses bare minerals too, and she does look younger without traditional foundation and powder makeup (She's 70).

My best friend pointed out to me a while back that we used to wear makeup to look older and sneak into bars. If it made us look older then, why wouldn't it now? :bigsmile: I think she's right, and I look much younger with less.

Ditto to bare minerals type makeup. Love.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i got excited when i saw this thread....checked out most of the lines. unfortunately, they have EDTA in them and i am very very allergic to this ingredient. i do think bare minerals might work, though, and will check that out. i was really hoping some of your suggestions would work for me. the Nars line looks fab but EDTA would have me in a rash.

MoZo

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
MoZo, Creme de la Mer do a fantastic mineral powder that might work for you? It doesn't give as much coverage as Bare Minerals, but it really does make my skin look lovely. It's available in the UK, so I assume you could find it where you are too. I don't see EDTA listed on the package.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
soocool|1296838084|2842927 said:
Hi, soocool,

Where can you find Aveda? Is it only sold in salons? I have heard of Aveda, but did not know they had cosmetics.

Yup, it's sold in salons. Most any hair salon that carries that hair care line will also carry the makeup line.

P.S., I agree ksinger, their hair color products are great, too.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks for the suggestion, Jen! i'll do an internet search and see what i can find.

MoZo

eta; nordstroms and neiman marcus south bay area stores carry it. pricey stuff! but if it works, i'm willing. will check it out.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
I am 54 and had been using Prescriptives for years, but now you can only get it online with extremely limited choices. So where does an old lady go to look pretty again and look years younger?

First of all, you are not an old lady!

Secondly, I think Lancome & Estée Lauder could be good options for you. Check out Nars too, as they have a variety of makeup and I love their blush. Stay away from Nars's Orgasm blush, as it has chunky glitter that you will not like. Instead, try Deep Throat, which looks like there is shimmer in the compact, but it does not transfer on the skin (I own this one). They do have shimmer in some of their products, but, they also have a decent assortment of non-shimmer products too. Nars has awesome liquid foundation as well.

MAC does offer bright and loud colors, but also "natural" colors too. Popular matte colors from MAC include: Yogurt, Gesso, Malt, Embark, Saddle, Wedge, Copperplate and Carbon. Satin colors are nice too and not shimmery: Brule, Shroom, Cork, Club and Print are nice too. Also consider their Velvet finishes: Vanilla, Mulch, Sable and maybe Smut.

Cheaper alternatives to these high end brands include NYX cosmetics. NYX offers a variety of matte shadows, though you might need to buy them individually.

Also, be comforted in the fact that shimmer is so popular now and not all of us under 50 really want so much shimmer and glitter on our faces. There needs to be more matte makeup options out there so that we do not all look like walking shimmer-bombs...lol.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
soocool|1296837735|2842914 said:
I have the Nars in Orgasm, but I really don't use it that much...Perhaps the Depp Throat may be a better color for me.

Orgasm is really glittery and Deep Throat is definitely a better alternative (I own it). It looks shimmery in the pan, but not on the face...it's a really pretty color...go for it :)

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
movie zombie|1296845395|2843065 said:
thanks for the suggestion, Jen! i'll do an internet search and see what i can find.

MoZo

eta; nordstroms and neiman marcus south bay area stores carry it. pricey stuff! but if it works, i'm willing. will check it out.

Yes, it is extortionate. That said, I bought a jar of the powder about three years ago and I still have about 1/4 left. I use it 5 days a week as a 'top coat' over bare minerals, because it has a finer finish and doesn't settle in any of the little lines that I don't actually have and won't ever have, ever ever and denial is a powerful tool... :bigsmile:

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Jennifer W|1296841066|2842967 said:

Prescriptives actually came out with a mineral makeup a couple of years ago that I also have been using and I like it a lot. I think I should check out the Bare Minerals and compare the 2 color wise, since the Prescriptives is a perfect match for my skintone and I don't know if they will continue to sell it online.

Scorpioanne

Shiny_Rock
I like Clinique makeup. I have used it for years and have changed my foundation over that time due to needing different formulations as the decades go by.

My esthetician suggested Jane Iredale mineral makeup which is a powder.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
omieluv|1296847162|2843092 said:
I am 54 and had been using Prescriptives for years, but now you can only get it online with extremely limited choices. So where does an old lady go to look pretty again and look years younger?

First of all, you are not an old lady!

Secondly, I think Lancome & Estée Lauder could be good options for you. Check out Nars too, as they have a variety of makeup and I love their blush. Stay away from Nars's Orgasm blush, as it has chunky glitter that you will not like. Instead, try Deep Throat, which looks like there is shimmer in the compact, but it does not transfer on the skin (I own this one). They do have shimmer in some of their products, but, they also have a decent assortment of non-shimmer products too. Nars has awesome liquid foundation as well.

MAC does offer bright and loud colors, but also "natural" colors too. Popular matte colors from MAC include: Yogurt, Gesso, Malt, Embark, Saddle, Wedge, Copperplate and Carbon. Satin colors are nice too and not shimmery: Brule, Shroom, Cork, Club and Print are nice too. Also consider their Velvet finishes: Vanilla, Mulch, Sable and maybe Smut.

Cheaper alternatives to these high end brands include NYX cosmetics. NYX offers a variety of matte shadows, though you might need to buy them individually.

Also, be comforted in the fact that shimmer is so popular now and not all of us under 50 really want so much shimmer and glitter on our faces. There needs to be more matte makeup options out there so that we do not all look like walking shimmer-bombs...lol.

I will definitely check out the Nars blush in Deep Throat and give the Orgasm :oops: to my DD .

I have seen NYX, but the ones I have seen are the highly glittered ones. I'll have to check for the matte colors. I have brown eyes, but I wear mostly greens (moss green shades - yellow green) and plums to make my eyes pop.

I use the Prescritives lipstick (not really a lipstick) in iced coffee, so nice a sheer and make my lips feel so moist. I do think Clinique has something similar

CherryBlossom

Shiny_Rock
Hi Sooc's

I like Laura Mercier.

www.lauramercier.com

This. I am in my early 20s and use it. Honestly it looks good on every women, any age.

Also, if you don't use primer, you should. I LOVE primer, it makes such a difference. Purchase a good primer. Make sure there are NO parabens in ANY of your makeup... especially the ones you use around your eye.

I don't purchase any beauty products (including hair products, sunscreen, lotions, etc) without checking out it's EWG/SD score here: http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com I recommend this to EVERYONE, please please check your products.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
CherryBlossom|1296856490|2843285 said:
Hi Sooc's

I like Laura Mercier.

www.lauramercier.com

This. I am in my early 20s and use it. Honestly it looks good on every women, any age.

Also, if you don't use primer, you should. I LOVE primer, it makes such a difference. Purchase a good primer.

I've been using Smashbox Photofinish Primer for the past 2 years and I love it!

CherryBlossom

Shiny_Rock
One quick thing which I will rant about for a minute is that we ladies MUST check these products ingredients. Due to personal issues within my own family/friends/life I feel obligated to tell women about this and honestly encourage you to look into it for yourself and share it w/ your loved ones.

I don't purchase any beauty products (including hair products, sunscreen, lotions, etc) without checking out it's Environmental Working Group Skin Deep score, which can be found here: http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com I recommend this to EVERYONE, please please check the ingredients in your products.

Although I like clinique, prespectives, MAC etc. most of their lines have metallic and mineral products in them. I think there are some issues w/ them that need to be considered. There have been some health issues related to them and not just when it comes to allergies, but also regarding respiratory problems in the future. Most of these products contain Mica and Talc, which is similar to asbestos, and has been scrutinized for possibly contributing to ovarian cancer and lung disease. Because of inhalation risk it's just not worth it. That's why doctors advice parents from using talc on infants... it has been directly linked to lung cancer. Recent UK studies advise of strong health risks when using Titanium Dioxide (TiO2) in nano particle form in powdered makeup. These inhaled TiO2 nano particles coming in contact with living tissue have a similar effect as asbestos and can cause lung cancer. Most beauty product companies continue to use Ti02, talk, mica, and other products in their products although many of them (in Canada and Europe) have have actually banned the product, and some major retailers refuse to even carry such products.

Mica: When construction workers use Mica, they wear masks to prevent the inhalation of the dust particles. Long term problems from Mica have lead to many health problems.There have been numerous cases of upper respiratory infections and even lung cancer. While Mica does not pose a danger to the outside of your skin, it may pose a danger to your lungs. When loose powder is dusted on the skin it creates small, loose particles that are inhaled in to the lungs. These particles can get stuck in the crevices of your lungs and cannot be removed. Long-term use can cause lung disease, irritation, and inflammation of the lungs. There are currently 19 studies (just in the US alone) being done on the long-term use of mineral powders.

Parabens are a whole other story, which ends w/ the same results. Parabens, are primarily used as a cheap and efficient preservative, but over the past ten years numerous studies have shown there is valid reason to believe that parabens accumulate in the body over time and that there damaging LONG TERM. The side effects from parabens' estrogen-mimicking properties - continue to go largely unanswered. When I began studying this and checked the ingredients in my makeup I found that almost every single one of my products from my Yves Saint Laurent eyeliner to cheap drug store lipsticks and lotions one of the 4 main "parabens" in them: methylparaben (E number E218), ethylparaben (E214), propylparaben (E216) and butylparaben. Still, there are MANY brands that don't contain it, so it's worth trying to find the right brand. A limited amount of paraben is not much to worry about, but since it's put in everything from food, to lotion, shampoo, makeup, sunscreen, etc. our body is absorbing a HIGH DOSE of it...Our skin is our bodies largest organ and absorbs what we put on it... so this issue effects women a lot more than it does men for obvious reasons. The human body has not evolved quickly enough to process such a high amount of parabens and tends to store in some interesting places. which is why numerous studies have linked paraben with various forms of reproductive cancers. A study published in 2004 (Darbre, in the Journal of Applied Toxicology) detected parabens in breast tumors. The study also discussed this information in the context of the weak estrogen-like properties of parabens and the influence of estrogen on breast cancer.

Here in the US, the FDA has very loose regulations when it comes to beauty products, many of the products that are in our beauty products have been banned in Canada and European nations for a number of years. It's up to the consumer to educate themselves. Just two weeks ago, Denmark joined other nations in banning parabens from their beauty products.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I use either Chanel or YSL foundation and Estee Lauder Lucidia (sp) pressed powder. Great coverage but doesn't look like I am wearing anything at all.

cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results