shape
carat
color
clarity

Snow, Work Closings and misc. ranting ...

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
We are expecting another 12 to 15" of snow in addition to the 6" we got yesterday.
There is a "weather hotline" that we were advised to call to see if we were requested to come in.
I called at 7am and the message said that the office was OPEN and we were asked to report for a "normal" business day.

ARE YOU EFFIN' KIDDING ME ? ! ?

It's insanely snowing at my house and there is NO WAY I'd venture out on the roads while putting my own and others life at risk to "report" to work! My job is not a vital one like in a hospital or the likes, so why be on the road?

I am salaried employee. There are others that are able to work from home as they have remote access to the system, so they do not have to use a "vacation" day to stay home in these conditions. Who knows if they are actually working lol. Since I am only a peon, and do not have remote access, I HAVE to use a personal day if I feel that traveling to the office is too dangerous. I think it is quite unfair, since I am salaried. I have worked through my lunches at least 50% of the year and stayed late countless of nights to get my work done. You'd think that I would be "granted" to stay home this one time without having to use a vacation day! I am a little annoyed... There is no point to fight the system, they will not listen nor care. In 10 years history, the office closed 2 times due to inclement weather...

My husband's work decided to close last night for today's storm, and they get paid regardless. It's nice to see that there are some places that still value people's safety first...

Thanks for listening! lol

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure if you live around the Chicago area, but my mom's school closed early yesterday, and was closed today, literally the first time she's remembered them doing that. My neice's school closed and they NEVER call a snow day, first snow day in 12 years.
However my sister was supposed to go to work. She works at a retirement home. They offered to have her stay at a hotel room but as she wasn't prepared and thought people were overreacting, decided to drive home and come back today. She barely got home; her car got stuck a couple times, she accidently drove over a highway median due to whiteout conditions, it was bad. She feels bad she can't get back to work now, but she's not going to put herself in an unsafe situation. So yeah, she will have to take a vacation day.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, so today is snow day #2... (Yay!) But- I never received a call!!!!! We have a fan out, and apparently I have been left off! Of course I watch the news, and my friends and I always call each other, but I never got the official call yesterday or today! Just goes to show you how they feel about special ed at my school.... I am ALWAYS left off of lists and left out of groups. They forget about me all the time. :sick:

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
I think what irks me the most about where I work is the fact that only special or select few can "work" from home and not have to use a vacation day. For the other peons like me - we either have to risk to get to work or if we value our life or others and decide to stay home, we cannot use a "sick" day even - but a vacation day or unpaid leave. That's sort of unfair and I don't like this policy. Do you really think that these people really work a full day at home? Come on...

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
It really is so unfair!

Before I had a sales job out of the office (now I'm one of those who gets to work from home those days because the only thing worse than driving to your office in the snow is driving to 7 offices,) I was a salaried manager. What we all used to do was this: anyone who lived more than 15 minutes away waited to see if the roads were safe- even if half the day was up- and carefully made our way in. Once there, the brave souls who lived locally got the choice if they wanted to stay or not and eventually those of us left closed early and made our way safely home, even if we had been at the office for only an hour or two. When you're a salaried employee, if you show it counts. Usually those days were like an office party because most of our customers were closed or slow and there was a Chinese restaurant that would deliver even in a huricane! The owner used to call us on snowy or rainy days to offer us special lunch deals.

Now I'm expected to produce evidence of productive phone calls with no less than 15 accounts. Not easy when most are closed so I encourage customers to call me from home or the office if they want to discuss products or their business plans. After they finish shoveling themselves out it can actually be a good thing and makes for a busy day, but a lot of the time I wish I had those days to clean my office or plan for next week.

iugurl

Shiny_Rock
It stinks, but in my experience, it is not uncommon. I think it really depends on how your city handles snow and ice. I have lived places where 1 inch wrecked havoc, since there was no salt or snow plows. I have lived places where we have had 6-8 inches and the next day all of the streets were completely fine. Driveways were dangerous, but all roads (maybe not country roads? idk) were plowed and salted, and were completely clear.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results