shape
carat
color
clarity

Real or synthetic

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
After a wonderful day of antiquing my fi and I brought home some new treasures. A nice pair of omc and gold earrings and an "amethyst" ring. Something about it just says synthetic to me. I looked at it through the loupe and I don't see zoning. This is also posted in "timeless classics".

Any other suggestions for telling the difference?

flower earrings OMC.jpg

belias 3.jpg

belias ring 1.jpg

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I like those earrings, very pretty! On the amethyst, there is no way to tell with common hand instruments if the stone is synthetic unless it has inclusions which prove natural origin. If you can't see any inclusions, then the only choice is to send it to a lab. Since the cost to determine this is nearly as much as the stone is worth it may not be worthwhile to you to find out.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
I'd love to see more photos of the amethyst ring, and I love the OMC earrings!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Is the back of the setting open? If so you might be able to see more from that side. The seed crystal they are grown on is usually clear so that there is a thin plane of clear material in the stone. Can be hard to find the orientation that would reveal it IF its even there. I've had natural material present what appeared to be a clear plane making me think it could be synth, but turned out to be zoning. So all that is inconclusive. It's as Michael said, in the absence of clear indicators of natural origin you'd have to send it to a lab and the cost of that report could likely exceed the value of the stone.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is very, very pretty. If I were in your shoes and the stone were cheap, I'd keep it just for the color.
And the earrings are awesome!

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
Hi
Michael E Hi! I really like the earrings too. The stamens turn on them, so when I turn my head I can hear them move. I feel lucky to have found them. I don't think I will send the ring off to have the stone tested, it was $100 and I am enjoying it so that will probably be the extent of it. I thought maybe there was another way to tell.

Aoife I will try to take more photos tomorrow, we will be iced in. Thanks for your comments about the earrings, I like em too :naughty:

Vapid I checked the back like you said. I don't or can't tell if there is anything back there, but I will look again in daylight.

Crasru I think you're right. I love it so I am going to just enjoy it. Thanks about the earrings.

The people who made the ring, back in the day, are responsible for creating the first white gold. Neat huh

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Ahhhh treenbean, I love the new finds, especially the detail on the earrings, and of course, your fabulous props. I found some mini pewter candlesticks in an antique shop the other week and thought of you!

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Cellantani :wavey:
Hehe I just bought some silver salt spoons for gem glamour shots. Glad you like the new finds.

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Treenbean, what great finds! That ring is lovely and the earrings :love: Thats so cool that they move!

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Artdecogirl- I wish I had more time to go back and look for more treasures. I'm glad you like them I do too. I have a couple more shots to add from earlier today.

belias 2.jpg

flower earrings OMC2.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The earrings are just to die for! :love: The design is fantastic; feminine, bespoke and antique all in one. As for the amethyst, best to just keep it and enjoy it. There’s no way to tell as it is and the cost is not worth it to send it to a lab for confirmation.

ladyvengeance

Rough_Rock
Such pretty finds! You must have a good eye when antiquing.

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Chrono: Thanks I really like the earrings too. The ring needs a little repair work but it is signed and has some cool history to it.

Lady V thanks. I buy what I like. Here in Pa we have a ton of fun places to antique. It just is a bit of a drain on the wallet.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Treenbean|1296595310|2839730 said:
After a wonderful day of antiquing my fi and I brought home some new treasures. A nice pair of omc and gold earrings and an "amethyst" ring. Something about it just says synthetic to me. I looked at it through the loupe and I don't see zoning. This is also posted in "timeless classics".

Any other suggestions for telling the difference?

Treenbean I wish you can take me with you on your antiquing trips. Lovely purchases.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results