shape
carat
color
clarity

getting lost in stupid stuff

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Oh SB, those are adorable! I LOVE that lovebirds graphic!!! Is your welcome dinner separate from your rehearsal dinner? (And are you still doing the softball barbeque?)

Only one comment: Shouldn't there be a comma between Eat and Drink? (apologies for harping on grammar...)

ETA: Talk about getting lost in the stupid stuff! A comma!??! Seriously!?!? :loopy: :rolleyes:

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
As a grammar nerd, you're actually a woman after my own heart. Yes, there absolutely should be a comma there. But it was left out intentionally because (1) I didn't like how it looked and (2) it meant I had to reduce the font size to make it fit in the text box.

But I deliberated on it for a really really long time! :lol:

The welcome dinner is the same as the rehearsal dinner, but everyone is invited so I'm calling it the welcome dinner! We're still doing BBQ and softball, as well as bags. I have the field rented and last week met with Smoque about the catering (during which meeting my wedding planner's car window was smashed...I felt terrible!). I think we're also going to do pies from Hoosier Mama Pie Company!

I'm super super excited! Because I'm a giant dork, here's my inspiration board:

Welcome Dinner Inspiration Board.jpg

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
sillyberry|1296321162|2836525 said:
As a grammar nerd, you're actually a woman after my own heart. Yes, there absolutely should be a comma there. But it was left out intentionally because (1) I didn't like how it looked and (2) it meant I had to reduce the font size to make it fit in the text box.

But I deliberated on it for a really really long time! :lol:

The welcome dinner is the same as the rehearsal dinner, but everyone is invited so I'm calling it the welcome dinner! We're still doing BBQ and softball, as well as bags. I have the field rented and last week met with Smoque about the catering (during which meeting my wedding planner's car window was smashed...I felt terrible!). I think we're also going to do pies from Hoosier Mama Pie Company!

I'm super super excited! Because I'm a giant dork, here's my inspiration board:

I appreciate the mental anguish you went through trying to decide "comma or no comma." :bigsmile:

Ahhhh, the renaming to "welcome dinner" makes complete sense. I LOVE your inspiration board! The sky blue and red is such a fun color combination!!! And so sorry about your WP's car window! YIKES! I've never had a Hoosier Mama Pie, but I hear they're FABOOSH.

Are those invites weddingpaperdivas? I'm trying to find good, relatively cheap invites for our rehearsal luncheon...that don't come pre-printed with "rehearsal DINNER"...that is proving to be annoyingly difficult. :rolleyes:

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
The invites are from Paper Source and they're crazy expensive.

So my paper guru is going to design a postcard based on that as inspiration. We decided to go with the postcard because the feel of this event is so different from the invitation suite that we didn't think it went well as one package. And then I get yet another stamp! I'm so obsessed with stamps.

As for your rehearsal luncheon invites...what feel are you going for? Do you want them complimentary to the wedding invitation or more casual? Does color matter?

I can't tell by what you write if you know this, but a whole lot of the weddingpaperdivas invitations let you change the text of the main headings, but only on the second page of personalization. So if you only go to the first page of personalization you would never know! Here are a few I like: lively glamor, exquisite night, come together, organic request, utterly epicurian, damask linens.

I'm actually incredibly impressed with the level of personalization available at WPD. They have some really great fonts, as opposed to the usual crappy fonts offered by online invitation companies.

BY THE WAY!!! Anyone not named sillyberry and vc10um are really welcome to come play with us! :))

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
sillyberry|1296337574|2836708 said:
BY THE WAY!!! Anyone not named sillyberry and vc10um are really welcome to come play with us! :))

Agreed! This is not an exclusive sandbox!

And get out of my head, woman! I had 4 of those WPDs invites bookmarked already! I just hadn't played around with them enough to know if they would work or not! :praise:

And I'm totally waiting for zazzle to have a sale for our invite stamps! Yours have me greeeen with envy! Well, once I decide whether I want to use a picture of us or just get our monogram or something of the like...yet ANOTHER little thing to agonize over for HOURS!

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
vc10um|1296338281|2836715 said:
And get out of my head, woman! I had 4 of those WPDs invites bookmarked already! I just hadn't played around with them enough to know if they would work or not! :praise:
We should totally just plan each other's wedding.

And I'm totally waiting for zazzle to have a sale for our invite stamps! Yours have me greeeen with envy! Well, once I decide whether I want to use a picture of us or just get our monogram or something of the like...yet ANOTHER little thing to agonize over for HOURS!
Oh, the sale is key! I would do the monogram or some other symbol tied to your wedding. Photos are lovely, but I think going with the pure image is a bit classier for the wedding invitation.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
sillyberry|1296341963|2836778 said:
Oh, the sale is key! I would do the monogram or some other symbol tied to your wedding. Photos are lovely, but I think going with the pure image is a bit classier for the wedding invitation.

I agree. Maybe a monogram with a simple colorful flourish reminiscent of the damask print on the inside of the invite. Hmmmm...I think I've found tomorrow's project!

I just personalized 5 different rehearsal dinner invites on WPD, plus 2 Save the Dates that I was able to reconfigure to rehearsal invites. Now to decide! Normally I wouldn't do the RL invites, since it will be all of 18 people including us, but mom wants her name on the invitation (and rightfully so, she is paying for a large chunk of the wedding) and would prefer not to have FI's parents names on it (even in the I'm marrying FI, son of Dad and Mom FI'sLastName way). Soooooo, FI's parents names will be listed as the hosts on the RL invite and then I won't feel as guilty about leaving them off the actual invitation.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, parents. :roll: We're avoiding the issue by leaving everyone off and serving as our own hosts!

What are you top invite contenders??!!??

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
One more thing about Zazzle - I just discovered that if you sign up for Ebates and go to Zazzle through them, you get 10% cash back!

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
vc10um|1296338281|2836715 said:
sillyberry|1296337574|2836708 said:

Agreed! This is not an exclusive sandbox!

Heh heh.

Nah, it looks like you two have got it all sorted. ;))

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
sillyberry|1296353923|2836976 said:
Oh, parents. :roll: We're avoiding the issue by leaving everyone off and serving as our own hosts!

What are you top invite contenders??!!??

I wish we could leave everyone off...but one week after we got engaged, my mom screamed at me so hard about how disrespectful it was to leave her off the invitation and how dare we think about putting FI's parents on it as well, that she started hyperventilating! Sooooo, yeah. (Did I mention I was on the way to InterGem, driving on the Beltway, and just throwing out random wording options??? Yeah. :rolleyes: ) So, mom on the invite it is!

Top contenders are Organic Request in Bark, Fancy Flatware in Deep Purple, Dinner Date in Deep Purple, and the Monogram Block in Evergreen (originally a Save the Date, but it fits all the wording for the Luncheon)...

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Oh, and for our actual invitations, we're using these from Michael's.

While I love love LOVE fabulous stationary and would have adored having custom invitations made by someone on etsy, we just didn't have the budget for it. Sooooo, pseudo DIY it is!

I'll be adding some pops of color by switching out the black ribbon for green and lining the triangular flaps of the pocketfold with some sort of purple paper...or maybe just doing purple and green ribbon and calling it a day. (Will depend on whether or not I can find a lightweight purple paper that won't cost me an arm and a leg...) And then, of course, there will be a pop of color with the stamp! :bigsmile:

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
The downside to leaving everyone off the invitation is that you have to pay for the whole darn thing yourself, so...

I think those ceremony invitations look great and fit your theme wonderfully. Two really thin ribbons in green and purple sound like a great brightener without being too spendy and too much of a PITA! And my favorite is Organic Request! That was actually my favorite all along.

I got really lucky - a good friend is a graphic designer and she had just decided she wanted to move into designing stationary and invitations. So I'm her first real wedding client!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Yeah...I'm glad we're not paying for the whole shebang ourselves...we're probably footing about 1/3 of the bill...and this is really the only thing my mom's been insanely specific about. Sooo...I can deal with it!

The other option, based on which printer we use to do them, might be to print our names in a color on the invite (probably purple) and then tie the green ribbon on.

And your friend is doing a fabulous job! Your Save the Dates were fantastic! I'm seriously excited to see your invitation suite when it's all finished!!!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Ooooo! New stupid thing:

Do I rent real diamond bling for the big day from here...or do I purchase crystal ones from...somewhere?

Part of me says "Get the crystal ones...then you get to keep them!" The other part of me says "When the *(^& are you gonna wear giant crystal chandelier earrings ever again...you may as well rent the real thing!"

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
vc10um said:
Ooooo! New stupid thing:

Do I rent real diamond bling for the big day from here...or do I purchase crystal ones from...somewhere?

Part of me says "Get the crystal ones...then you get to keep them!" The other part of me says "When the *(^& are you gonna wear giant crystal chandelier earrings ever again...you may as well rent the real thing!"
Oooh, those are super fun...but I would still probably buy my own. Probably because I would love to be able to wear my wedding earrings out to a nice dinner or with jeans and a black top for a fun night out.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
sillyberry|1296671128|2840820 said:
vc10um said:
Ooooo! New stupid thing:

Oooh, those are super fun...but I would still probably buy my own. Probably because I would love to be able to wear my wedding earrings out to a nice dinner or with jeans and a black top for a fun night out.

I probably will end up buying my own...I think I'm just going to go to a department store, raid the selection of chandelier earrings, bring them home, try them with the dress, and return the ones that don't work.

I need to contact danielm about bezeling a giant pale amethyst I got from Tan into a pendant...I think it might be just the thing to wear with my dress.

How's studying going, SB?

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
That pendent sounds lovely - can't wait to see pics when it's done!

I think I figured out my jewelry...e-ring/wedding ring (once I get that puppy on my finger!), diamond halo studs (a gift from my mom for graduation from law school) and a pearl necklace of my late grandmother's wrapped into a bracelet. Pretty minimal overall, although the bracelet ends up being pretty substantial looking because it ends up as 5 strands!

I've been working on a bunch of piddly wedding things...scheduling tastings, hair and makeup trials, deciding on envelopes. Nothing all that fun, just time consuming.

As for me otherwise, studying is terrible, I'm cranky, yelling at the boy for no particularly good reason, and ready for this whole thing to be over. Harumph. I'll be much more pleasant in a few weeks. :))

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
sillyberry|1296764556|2842094 said:
That pendent sounds lovely - can't wait to see pics when it's done!

I think I figured out my jewelry...e-ring/wedding ring (once I get that puppy on my finger!), diamond halo studs (a gift from my mom for graduation from law school) and a pearl necklace of my late grandmother's wrapped into a bracelet. Pretty minimal overall, although the bracelet ends up being pretty substantial looking because it ends up as 5 strands!

I've been working on a bunch of piddly wedding things...scheduling tastings, hair and makeup trials, deciding on envelopes. Nothing all that fun, just time consuming.

As for me otherwise, studying is terrible, I'm cranky, yelling at the boy for no particularly good reason, and ready for this whole thing to be over. Harumph. I'll be much more pleasant in a few weeks. :))

Your Harumphing made me giggle. :lol:

That necklace as a bracelet will be awesome, for sure!

I wish we got to do a tasting for our dinner...free Jack Stack!...but we already know it's delicious and have had most of what we'll be serving anyway. We still have to taste more cake! We're having cupcakes made and we've chosen 2/3 of our flavors...but we need to settle on the last one.

Deciding on envelopes sounds positively THRILLING. I'm envious. :cheeky:

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I think I found my earrings! :bigsmile:

They look great with the dress, and I managed to snag them for $25 at TJ Maxx. Woot.

Unfortunately, the lovely amethyst and peridot pendant my mom bought me for Christmas doesn't look right with the dress. It's too busy (I can't find a good picture of it right now, but it's 4 pear-shaped ammys set with the points facing out N, S, E, and W, with a cushion ammy in the center, and then 4 small peridot pears between the ammys with points facing into the center)...but I contacted Daniel M about setting my large ammy pear and so hopefully that'll be just what I'm looking for!

Newest stupid thing: what to wear for our second set of engagement pictures. I bought a Groupon last year for a 1-hour photo shoot with a local photog that comes with 15 digital files (and we can purchase additional files for $5). We're doing the pictures on the Tidal Basin at 9:30 AM during the Cherry Blossom Festival. I'm super excited, but I have to pick like 5 outfits in advance b/c you never know what the weather is gonna be! Last year I went to the CBF twice...a week apart. The first time, I needed a coat and scarf and it was gray and drizzly. The second time, it was 90 degrees and I was in a tank top and shorts. Aaaaaah, April in DC.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I love a wedding deal - they come by so rarely! And the earrings are fab!

I can see why that necklace might be too busy...what about tying it around your bouquet? I love that closeup bouquet shot with something sentimental tied around the base.

While DC weather can be annoying, it's totally worth it for gorgeous pictures during the Cherry Blossom Festival! How fun will that be! You know, I never made it there once in all the years I lived there. I'm such a failure at life.

Anyway, clothes...If I remember your previous photo shoot, it was pretty bold and graphic. Wasn't there an awesome graffiti wall? For these photos, I would try something pastel-y and really springtime-ish. I would probably find a really cute sundress, and plan to pair it with either a heavy cardigan and boots or a light cardigan or wrap and sandals.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
sillyberry|1297126379|2846084 said:
Oh, I love a wedding deal - they come by so rarely! And the earrings are fab!

I can see why that necklace might be too busy...what about tying it around your bouquet? I love that closeup bouquet shot with something sentimental tied around the base.

While DC weather can be annoying, it's totally worth it for gorgeous pictures during the Cherry Blossom Festival! How fun will that be! You know, I never made it there once in all the years I lived there. I'm such a failure at life.

Anyway, clothes...If I remember your previous photo shoot, it was pretty bold and graphic. Wasn't there an awesome graffiti wall? For these photos, I would try something pastel-y and really springtime-ish. I would probably find a really cute sundress, and plan to pair it with either a heavy cardigan and boots or a light cardigan or wrap and sandals.

Well, good thing you might be moving back out here then, huh??? :naughty: You get a second chance to see the pink and white fluffiness in person! My mom comes every year she loves it so much. She's going to miss it more than I am when FI and I move to KC in a couple years.

I may tie the pendant to my bouquet, but I've also got some of my grandmother's jewelry that I may be using instead. I think I might wear it for engagement pics if the neckline of whatever I decide to wear (and I love your idea of warming up or cooling down a cute spring dress...and yes, we did have the graffiti wall! Still in love with those pictures!) allows. And I'll probably go for solids this time because FI has a few awesome striped/patterned button-down shirts that would be PERFECT for the shoot.

Little things are on the back burner right now because I need to get our ceremony written by the end of March. I know there's a long time between now and then, but that's when we're going back to KC and meeting with our officiant, so I want to have things pretty much set by then, aside from the vows we'll be writing to each other.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
I have this fear I'll be finalizing the ceremony in the car on the way to the ceremony! :lol:

SB - congrats on finding an officiant. Just getting caught up on this thread now.

That was a huge weight to come off my shoulders, because all the other details that are so much fun are just that - details. The officiant is 'kind of' critial. ;-)

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
sillyberry|1297275475|2847728 said:
I have this fear I'll be finalizing the ceremony in the car on the way to the ceremony! :lol:

I'm pretty sure I'll be doing that with my vows...

...Hi Future Mrs. S!!! Glad someone else came to play!!! :wavey: What fun little details are you working on now that you've squared away that super fabulous cake topper?

I'm looking for a flower and/or other hairpiece to attach to my (something borrowed) birdcage veil. Also looking for jewelry to wear. It's been wracking my brain for the last 10 days or so all the options out there!

Since my dress has only one "brooch-style" piece on the front for any sort of beading/detailing, I want to use jewelry for my sparkle, without overdoing it. Find a happy medium, if you will.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Future Mrs. Sterling|1297284145|2847884 said:
I'm looking for a flower and/or other hairpiece to attach to my (something borrowed) birdcage veil. Also looking for jewelry to wear. It's been wracking my brain for the last 10 days or so all the options out there!

Since my dress has only one "brooch-style" piece on the front for any sort of beading/detailing, I want to use jewelry for my sparkle, without overdoing it. Find a happy medium, if you will.

Ooooo...you can totally find some awesome jewelry to go with your dress! You look so fantastically vintage pin-up in your dress...and with the birdcage veil...wowza! :love: What about something like this or these?

For the jewelry...were you thinking of getting more of your bling from the necklace or the earrings?

The flower from etsy is super cute! I've added it to my favorites (which I must have a dozen of).

As far as the jewelry, I know for sure I want a blingy bracelet. Can't decide if I want to really pop on the necklace or the earrings, though. I think I could get away with either, just have to find something I really love to sway me in a particular direction, I think.

BTW, you girls sound like so much fun. :) Thanks for letting me play.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Future Mrs. Sterling|1297302679|2848105 said:
The flower from etsy is super cute! I've added it to my favorites (which I must have a dozen of).

As far as the jewelry, I know for sure I want a blingy bracelet. Can't decide if I want to really pop on the necklace or the earrings, though. I think I could get away with either, just have to find something I really love to sway me in a particular direction, I think.
I'm always going to recommend earrings! I love a bare neck. In a necklace, I generally only like something that is incredibly incredibly delicate, and such a necklace pretty much inevitably is not blingy. But that's only my idiosyncratic preference!

Do you know how you're going to wear your hair? That'll make a difference, me thinks.

BTW, you girls sound like so much fun. :) Thanks for letting me play.
I'm glad you're hanging out with us. As much as I like vc (AND I DO!), we need more playmates!

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I have a bazillion invitaion sites/designs bookmarked and I don't even have a venue yet.

Can't. Stop. Looking. At. Pretty. Invations. :errrr:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results