shape
carat
color
clarity

Nail polish for the wedding?

crossmyfingers

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone! :appl: I've barely posted in the six months since FI proposed, and I've realized how much I miss this place!

How are you planning to do your nails for your wedding?

We are going to the Caribbean in March for a week and getting married on the trip, just FI and myself, no guests. (And we couldn't be happier about that! Hehe.) I have a strapless white dress and the flowers will be bright purple orchids. I've never had fake nails, but I thought about doing gels so I wouldn't have to worry as much about them chipping on the trip, compared to just polish on my real nails. It also wouldn't be a big deal to take stuff with me to do a manicure on myself the night before. I just can't decide!

My nails are always polished. I do them myself almost all the time - I might get a salon manicure once a year. They're usually bright/different colors, not very often the more traditional reds/pinks/neutrals. I know 'weird' colors aren't for everyone but I love them on me. FI likes my crazy nails, especially when I do stripes or polka dots. He doesn't like French manicures but said he wouldn't mind if I wanted to do that for the wedding.

The choices I'm trying to decide between right now are: gels at a salon before the trip (French manicure or a neutral light pink), or doing my nails there the night before the wedding (a traditional red or a bright pink, or a bright purple to match the orchids).

I'd just like to get some other opinions. What are you doing for your own wedding nails? What do you ladies (and gents) think about my options? Thanks in advance! :bigsmile:

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
crossmyfingers|1295212076|2824385 said:
We are going to the Caribbean in March for a week and getting married on the trip, just FI and myself, no guests. (And we couldn't be happier about that! Hehe.) I have a strapless white dress and the flowers will be bright purple orchids. I've never had fake nails, but I thought about doing gels so I wouldn't have to worry as much about them chipping on the trip, compared to just polish on my real nails. It also wouldn't be a big deal to take stuff with me to do a manicure on myself the night before. I just can't decide!

Hi! :wavey:

I had a destination wedding and left home a week before the actual wedding day. For that reason, I did gels (light blush pink) and am glad I did. Easy, stress-free and I had beautiful nails for the entire trip + honeymoon. I love gel manicures!

crossmyfingers

Shiny_Rock
mscushion|1295220998|2824497 said:

I had a destination wedding and left home a week before the actual wedding day. For that reason, I did gels (light blush pink) and am glad I did. Easy, stress-free and I had beautiful nails for the entire trip + honeymoon. I love gel manicures!

Hey, thanks! That's kind of what I'm leaning toward so far. I looked through some bridal magazines today and it seems like every bride was wearing a light blush pink on her nails. I had thought French tips were more common, but that may just be in this area (the South).

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock
This is totally just my opinion but I hate fake nails. Even gel nails. But still, besides that, since you are doing a desitnation wedding AND you are used to wearing colour on your nails....go for colour! Coraly pink or even a nice deep fushia! I wouldn't got completely flourscent pink and I'd say not red. But I love the idea of either a deep/bright pink or purple for "destination nails"--very venue appropriate. Or if you wanna do red, do something with a pink or purple hue. You can get away with doing your nails the night before or day of. Since its just the two of you, there's no one else to really notice your nails. So even if a teeny tiny corner chips off during the cremony, bah!

ac719

Shiny_Rock

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
crossmyfingers|1295224531|2824553 said:
mscushion|1295220998|2824497 said:
Hey, thanks! That's kind of what I'm leaning toward so far. I looked through some bridal magazines today and it seems like every bride was wearing a light blush pink on her nails. I had thought French tips were more common, but that may just be in this area (the South).
Yeah, I'm a huge fan of a simple blush color instead of French for weddings...so that would be my vote!

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
It's true that a lot of brides (most?) wear pale polish. However, I always think that the wedding day should reflect your truest self, not just what the wedding magazines say you should wear or want.

So if you and your FI love your wild and crazy nails, rock those on your wedding!!! Embrace what makes you you! Even better that there are no guests to judge your choices!

crossmyfingers

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, ladies! I still don't know what I'll end up doing, but I am glad to hear your opinions too. I have a few more weeks to decide, so I think I'll be okay. :bigsmile:

KittyGolightly

Brilliant_Rock
I always have wild and crazy nails. Right now, they are red leopard print. I haven't decided exactly what I'll be doing for my wedding yet, but I doubt I'll tone them down very much. :)

FWIW, I get Japanese manicures (gels). They're great - they last for weeks.

crossmyfingers

Shiny_Rock
Hi again!

I thought I'd come back with an update since I made up my mind (I think). I decided I'd like a bright berry pink, and I bought OPI Koala Bear-y (not my pic, just googled that) tonight and just painted my nails with it, and I'm pretty sure that's what I'll go with. I did a super light pink after I made my first post about this, and I hated it on me. And I think if I go with something really nontraditional I might look back in 10 years and roll my eyes at it. So, this is sort of a compromise: still bright, but a shade of pink that isn't super crazy, and it's totally a tropical color.

Thanks again for the opinions, everyone. And woohoo! One more thing to mark off my to-do list for my wedding! :naughty:

ac719

Shiny_Rock
good choice!!! i LOVE Koala Berry :)

YSQueen

Rough_Rock
I'm pretty much set on getting a french manicure, but I don't think I'll do the white tips.

Probably burgundy colored tips, especially since I'm having a fall wedding.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results