shape
carat
color
clarity

Old, new, borrowed, blue?

crossmyfingers

Shiny_Rock
I'm not a fan of traditions, but for as long as I can remember I've been fascinated by "something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue." What will yours be, if you're doing this? Elaborate if you want, I'd love to hear interesting items/stories.

I have no clue what ANY of mine will be, but I know I'd like to have one for each 'something' for sure. I think I'll ask a couple close friends if they have something they'd want me to wear for 'something borrowed.' My wedding dress seems too obvious to be 'something new'... Wow, I really better start thinking! Getting married in March! :wacko:

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Don't forget the six-pence in your shoe! :)

Mashira

Brilliant_Rock
Based on this:

"Something old" symbolizes continuity with the bride's family and the past.
"Something new" means optimism and hope for the bride's new life ahead.
"Something borrowed" is usually an item from a happily married friend or family member, whose good fortune in marriage is supposed to carry over to the new bride. The borrowed item also reminds the bride that she can depend on her friends and family.
"Something blue" symbolizes fidelity in married life.

Here is my tentative list:

Something old: My mothers pearl bracelet.

Something new: My engagement ring/wedding band.

Something borrowed: My Matron of Honors rhinestone hairpin that she wore for her wedding.

Something blue: My garter will be blue.

crossmyfingers

Shiny_Rock
Oh yeah, thanks OU! Going to be hard since I'll be barefoot. And since I have never even seen a sixpence, haha! :twirl:

Mashira, I really like yours! I didn't realize there was more to it, that each represents something in particular. Now it'll be a little harder than I had already thought. It's a challenge! :bigsmile: (Like I need another challenge right now, but hey, sounds fun to me.)

slg47

Ideal_Rock
crossmyfingers|1295931951|2832261 said:
Oh yeah, thanks OU! Going to be hard since I'll be barefoot. And since I have never even seen a sixpence, haha! :twirl:

Mashira, I really like yours! I didn't realize there was more to it, that each represents something in particular. Now it'll be a little harder than I had already thought. It's a challenge! :bigsmile: (Like I need another challenge right now, but hey, sounds fun to me.)

you could always tape it to your foot :razz: (joking!!)

ac719

Shiny_Rock
Something Old: my pearl rosary my grandparents bought me for first communion

Something New: my dress!

Something Borrowed: right hand ring from my best friend.

Something Blue: garter

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let me think...

my borrowed was twofold: I used my MOH's blue grosgrain ribbon wrapped statue of something as my "borrowed" and "blue."

my something old was my grandmother's engagement ring, stitched very lightly into the bodice of my wedding gown, and I'm talking so lightly that my mother came up to me IMMEDIATELY after the ceremony and snatched it from in between my boobs.

my something new was my wedding gown!

This was my first wedding...I've since divorced but I don't think that any of those lucky charms had anything to do with my failed marriage! You will all prevail!!! :appl:

sorry! That was so cynical.

This time will be different for both of us...

KatyWI

Brilliant_Rock
I got married a year and a half ago, but...

Old: My grandmother's diamond ring. She passed away 9 months before I married.

New: ALL of my attire and the wedding band!

Borrowed: The strand of pearls my mother received and wore on her wedding day

Blue: I pinned a locket with a bluebird on it to my bouquet, which contained a picture of my parents on their wedding day and my grandparents (mom's parents) on THEIR wedding day... since we all share the same anniversary :)

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
KatyWI|1295957275|2832442 said:
I got married a year and a half ago, but...

Old: My grandmother's diamond ring. She passed away 9 months before I married.

New: ALL of my attire and the wedding band!

Borrowed: The strand of pearls my mother received and wore on her wedding day

Blue: I pinned a locket with a bluebird on it to my bouquet, which contained a picture of my parents on their wedding day and my grandparents (mom's parents) on THEIR wedding day... since we all share the same anniversary :)

Not gonna lie, Katy...that made me tear up a bit.

Here's my tentative:

Something Old: Grandmother's engagement and/or wedding ring.
Something New: Pretty much everything I'm wearing, but based on the sentiment of hope, I'll probably call my wedding band my "new"
Something Borrowed: A wonderful friend is lending me a jewelry gift from her husband, if it fits.
Something Blue: My University of Michigan garter. (FI went to Mizzou, but doesn't have any school spirit...conversely, I've been dying to wear a UM garter since I first saw one on campus in 2002...)

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1295951595|2832399 said:
Let me think...

my borrowed was twofold: I used my MOH's blue grosgrain ribbon wrapped statue of something as my "borrowed" and "blue."

my something old was my grandmother's engagement ring, stitched very lightly into the bodice of my wedding gown, and I'm talking so lightly that my mother came up to me IMMEDIATELY after the ceremony and snatched it from in between my boobs.

my something new was my wedding gown!

This was my first wedding...I've since divorced but I don't think that any of those lucky charms had anything to do with my failed marriage! You will all prevail!!! :appl:

sorry! That was so cynical.

This time will be different for both of us...

I wish you much success and happiness this time round monnie! :))

turboflgrl

Shiny_Rock
Here's what I've come up with....

Something Old: No clue.. still working on it. Probably something from my Grandmother
Something New: Christian Louboutin shoes
Something Borrowed: Grandmother's necklace wrapped around my bouquet
Something Blue: Sapphire ring with diamond halo worn on my right hand

The reason for all the Grandmother references is because she passed prior to FI and I getting engaged and two days before she died. My FI had a private conversation asking her for her permission to marry me in the future and she said that is all she could ask for. ;( Still makes me choked up thinking about it but I know she'll be there and there's no better way for me to honor her.

pinki

Shiny_Rock
I got married in June and these were mine:

Something Old: My handkerchief that was actually the bonnet I wore when I was baptized
Something New: My veil/fascinator
Something Borrowed: My Wedding Dress
Something Blue: My Shoes

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
I got married in September and mine were:

Something Old - diamond bracelet from my grandmother
Something New - my wedding dress
Something Borrowed - pearl drop earrings borrowed from my mom
Something Blue - blue rhinestones at the bottom of my "Something Bleu" shoes

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results