shape
carat
color
clarity

PS Mommy Thread-Newborn to 12 months!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
JT LOVED buttercream at his first birthday. I don't think he ate any cake but just kept grabbing chunks of frosting. lol

RE: solids, so should I still offer them to her at lunch and supper (which is what I've been doing) or just once a day? I don't want to not have food available but I don't know if it's just making it worse by shoving it at her twice a day. Or maybe only offer one kind of food, like always sweet potatoes?

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Sorry for the upcoming me-centric post...

Dh was watching LO tonight, and as he was dancing next to the coffee table, LO hit his mouth. He cried and there was very little blood, but after C calmed down and Dh was playing with him, he noticed his tooth looked odd. C had chipped it.

I immediately came home, cried the whole way. C's adorable top teeth just popped thru only a week ago and they are the cutest things ever. The left one isn't just chipped, pretty much the outside 1/4 th is separated from the rest of it. I am so upset and worried that they are going to have to pull the whole tooth. If the fracture goes all the way up, which I am assuming based on the way it looks, It seems that extraction is the only option.

I hate this... Everytime I think about it, I start crying again.

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
Oh no Mere! That sounds awful! This doesn't make it better but my friend is a pediatric dentist here and said she has to do extractions and do major mouth procedures all the time on toddlers since they hit their teeth a lot. They are so good with even the littlest patients. I guess look on the bright side he doesn't have to get stitches from his teeth cutting through the skin. Still sucks though. Poor baby.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Delurking to send you lots of dust and well wishes for your surgery tomorrow Noelwr :)

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
SS I personally would offer once a day until she starts to really show interest and eats 1-3 oz. No rush! A wasn't SUPER interested in gobbling down food until 7.5 mo even though I offered from 5 mo. on. No reason for you and her to be miserable pushing food twice a day!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good luck Noel!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
We had Aidan's 4 month photo shoot on Saturday and the photog already has pictures up online! Here's a collage with some highlights. The rest are on the site that shall not be named...

4 mo collage.JPG

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, Mere. I’m so sorry. It probably happens all the time but I can see why you’re upset. Babies are so resilient so I’m sure C will have no problem bouncing right back from whatever the docs have to do to fix this. Just consider it practice for all of the stuff this kiddo’s gonna get into in the next 18 years!

HH, what a great collage! I’m so jealous. I tried to get DH to commit to 6 month and 1 year photoshoots. He didn’t want to spend the money for 6 months so now we’re waiting till 1 year.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly pupp I don't know if I would have made the investment myself either. We received a significant gift certificate towards this photog and so I felt obligated to do it. We went with a package that includes a shoot for 4 mo, 8 mo and 12 mo and we got a 6 week shoot free for booking the package. I think out of pocket we only spent $150 after we applied the GC. UNFORTUNATELY, this photog charges and arm, leg and kidney for prints so I don't think we're going to be able to swing anything beyond what we get with our package, which is a collage frame with one pic from each shoot. We don't even get a CD with our package. I know I could have gotten a much better deal had I done the research and booking myself, but I wasn't going to let my cousin spend $175 and not use the GC! To get around her insane fees I ripped the photos from her online site (shhh.....) :twisted:

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Linds~ Thank. You're right, no reason to make us both miserable. I'm over-sensitive about her eating and I need to get over it.

Mere~ OMG, I'm so sorry. I'd be devastated. I hope whatever needs to be done is as near painless as possible! Lots of hugs.

HH~ Nakey baby pics are so cute! I want to get that little tummy! lol

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Mere. ;( I hope it isn't as bad as it seems and his little tooth can be fixed or saved. Poor little guy. And poor mom! Keep us updated.

HH, OMG THE CUTE. Nekkid baybeh is the best. I love these pictures!

ETA picture: Micah is soooo close to walking!!! This is him trying to eat his high chair, hah. He got over there by himself from where I was sitting, just by touching things as he went by.

89JE9J390JE12.JPG

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Great pics HH!

Noel- I hope your surgery goes well today. Thoughts and prayers are with you!

Thanks for all of the replies ladies. Last night was very tough. I didn't fall asleep until almost 3 am. This is definitely an eye opener, and having a boy, I can probably expect more of this in the future.
As for the diagnosis, I was able to get into a pediatric dentist this morning, and he gave us 2 options:
1) A pulpotomy: Where he extracts the broken part of the tooth and then seals and caps the rest, and saves the biggest part of the tooth. Would take apprx 20-30 minutes, they would numb his gume, and would wrap him in a pappoose to keep him as still as possible. However, he told me that if the part he has to remove is large in size (can't tell from the x-ray pics taken, due to other baby teeth being very close), then he will probably recommend just taking the whole tooth out before attempting the pulpotomy.

2) Complete extraction: Exactly how it sounds. Take out his whole tooth, and it would take about 4 or 5 minutes. :cry: The space would be empty until he was 2 or 3 yrs of age (whenever his molars come in fully), and then we could have a semi-permenant retainer put in (attached to his molars) that has a tooth attached to it, and would fill the space until he reaches 6 years old. At that point, he would have an empty spot until the permenant tooth comes in, which could be delayed up to until he is 7 yo.

I really liked this guy, but have called another pedi dentist in the area for a second opinion. That appt is this afternoon.

I just can't believe that this has happened. I was so mad at DH last night, since this is not the first time this has happened. It's like he didn't understand why this was such a big deal. When I called him to tell him our options, I think it finally hit him. This isn't just a chipped tooth that can be sealed and done. At one point, before doing the x-rays, the dentist even mentioned a "baby-type-root canal" (WHAAAA???? :shock: ), if the root was damaged. Luckily though, the roots haven't developed yet, which will actually make all of the removal much easier.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
em - 9 months

oh mere! i don't even have the words. let us know how the second opinion goes.

ss- at 6.5 months we started em on solids for lunch and dinner. at 9 months we started 3 times a day.

--

as for us, em no longer wants to crawl. she's walking everywhere. and wow, what a different perspective. it's so crazy to look over and see her toddling away.

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
Mere -- so if he has to extract the tooth, C will have a gap there until he's 2 or 3? I thought they could do little baby teeth crowns? If he has the pulpotomy, will it look chipped, or can they make a little crown for the missing part?

In your husband's defense, I didn't think it was a big deal either, until I thought of your baby having a gap for awhile. My initial thought was how it would suck to go through the pain of it, but I didn't think of having a space in his little smile. I think your DH was thinking of the medical aspect (anesthesia, sitting still for the procedure, etc) and not the cosmetic aspect. I'm sure he feels terrible.

Sha

Ideal_Rock
mere - Just delurking to say I'm sorry about C's tooth accident. I would be terribly upset too. It sounds like you've gotten some good advice to go forward with, though. Let us know what you decide.

HH - love the photos! So cute! :love:

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Lanie, apparently they could only do a crown/cap if there is still part of the tooth there. They wont put a permanent crown in for a baby tooth, bc it is supposed to fall out. From what he said, this retainer type thing was going to be our only option until his permanent teeth come in.
(FYI, I totally unerstand about DH feeling bad, and agree with you that we were just at two different mind sets. I think I got very defensive when he asked me, "Why the Hell I was crying about it." That didn't help things. :sick: )

Thank goodness for getting 2nd opinions. The second dentist, who was able to get a much better xray, and thinks that it is a "Fused Tooth". (Not resulting from the accident last night at all) It is when an extra tooth developes and clings to another one. It has wedged itself between the main front tooth and the inscisor.
Dentist #2 was kind enough to print out the xray picture for me, and I have made an appt with Dentist #1 for tomrrow morning to get his opinion, on her opinion and the better xray.

Either way, we have decided that we are going to wait and see what the tooth does. It isn't causing C any trouble or pain, unless it starts to bother him or changes color, we are just going to let C gives us cues on whether or not action needs to be taken.

What a day.

Jcrow- So exciting to hear that Em is walking so much! Hope you and your family are doing well!

MP- I can't believe how tall Micah is!!

drk

Brilliant_Rock
Ugh. My furnace is packing it in, so we're urgently getting quotes on a new one. We'd rather have radiant heat, but don't want to rip out all the floors or tear up walls to get it put in. Maybe in 15years, after we've paid off the house...

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Mere, if it's a fused tooth, will that change how they fix it?

meresal

Ideal_Rock
MP- If it is indeed a fused tooth, then we don't do anything at all. I would just have to be VERY diligent about brushing his teeth, 2 and 3 times a day, because the crevice is very susceptible to cavity. We used a toddler toothbrush last night, and it didn't bother him at all. He actually likes it.

If it began to bother him or starts to effect the other teeth as they come in, then we might have to figure out something to do.

mtjoya

Brilliant_Rock
Haven't been here in a very long time but wanted to update...

Hubby almost passed on me the other day. I dragged him to urgent care for a 105 temp fever, chills, aches and pains. Doc said he had pneumonia and had fluid in lungs. Doc and nurse were like wtf...when we came in. IV and antibotics asap. Feel very bad for him, I almost lost him! He is resting up right now and seems to be better than before.

J is having her birthday party postponed til April something. Sounds weird but we GOT to have a pinata. The weather will be nicer and warmer can't tell with this cali weather here. but yeah. Glad to see everyone again. I can't believe my little bebe will be 1! ::) No walking yet just cruising!

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Hi mtjoya! :wavey: It's been a while!

So sorry to hear about your hubby's illness. Thank goodness you dragged him to the hospital! Men are so stubborn about going to the doctor! Mine hasn't been in about 10 years.... :rolleyes: :nono: Glad to hear he's doing better!

When is J's actual birthddate?

mtjoya

Brilliant_Rock
sha- Thx hun! DH is a big guy. I got this weird super power where I grabbed him around the chest area and I pulled up and pulled him from the couch. Then he was like FINE, I am going! He was mad. I yelled and said too bad! hehe.
I know men are so stubborn to go see the doctor. I made sure that I was there telling the nurse everything. I know he might get scared and not say everything. I didn't care if i looked like the pushy annoying wife but my huband's health comes first. I also kept saying how he didn't want to come to see the doc. The nurse kept shaking her head. When she took his temp. she said OH CRAP!

Jacqueline's bday is feb.5! :) The party will be april 17th. I hope, before easter.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Good to hear from you Mt!

Ok, final verdict is in on the tooth. He has a "Fused Tooth". It was only a fluke that DH noticed it right after C hit his mouth on the table, and has absolutely nothing to do with the accident. We would have noticed it more as the tooth grows out.

The tooth doesn't have to be removed, but we have to brush his teeth with a toothbrush at least once a day, and once the tooth comes all the way in, we are supposed to buy a metal dental pick in order to scrape the crevice once a day as well.
I will try and get a picture, so that you ladies have a clue as to what I am talking about. This is so odd. The dentist says that it shouldn't have any effect on his permanent teeth at all.

The dentist also said, that since the "double-tooth" is so large, it might need help "falling" out when C turns 5 or 6. Other than that, we should be fine!

:appl: (One VERY happy mama!)

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
Noel - I'm late, but I wanted you to know that I'm thinking of you. I hope everything is going well!!

HH & MP - Super cute pictures!!!

Mere - So happy to hear that the tooth isn't chipped and that it's all going to work out. That must be such a relief. Can't wait to see the picture because I am so curious to see what this looks like.

Sha

Ideal_Rock
meresal|1296079886|2834004 said:
Good to hear from you Mt!

Ok, final verdict is in on the tooth. He has a "Fused Tooth". It was only a fluke that DH noticed it right after C hit his mouth on the table, and has absolutely nothing to do with the accident. We would have noticed it more as the tooth grows out.

The tooth doesn't have to be removed, but we have to brush his teeth with a toothbrush at least once a day, and once the tooth comes all the way in, we are supposed to buy a metal dental pick in order to scrape the crevice once a day as well.
I will try and get a picture, so that you ladies have a clue as to what I am talking about. This is so odd. The dentist says that it shouldn't have any effect on his permanent teeth at all.

The dentist also said, that since the "double-tooth" is so large, it might need help "falling" out when C turns 5 or 6. Other than that, we should be fine!

:appl: (One VERY happy mama!)

:appl:

It's a good thing you got that 2nd opinion!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Mere~ I'm so relieved for you!

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Thanks SS and Sha! We are so releived!

Here is the picture of the tooth/teeth: (please disregard the huge chin, lol, he was looking down towards the camera!)

Christopher 1.26.10 Tooth picture.jpg

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Loves Vintage|1296094337|2834228 said:
My first official post as a mom here! Samantha is now 5 days old. She is such a precious little baby. DH and I are in awe, over and over, every day. I never could have guessed what it felt like to be a mother before now. My eyes well up with tears throughout the day, just watching her. Her sweet little eyelashes. The softness of her skin. Her super-tiny little pinky fingers. The feel of her fingers wrapped around one of mine. The way she responds to my husband. They way that he loves her and cares for her. All of the cute little noises she makes. When she smiles. And, oh my goodness, her eyes! My heart melts again and again. I can't believe I am so lucky to be her mother.

I know you all know this already. I never knew, until now. :love:

LV- Your post made me teary! It is truly amazing, isn't it??

Samantha is just beautiful.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
LV~ I love your post and your beautiful pic of Samantha. Now you know why we all get teary eyed when we read about all the new birth stories too. It's the most amazing feeling ever. I've always equated it with the Wizard of Oz. You know how you felt the first time Dorothy opened the door to Munchkinland, that's what it's like to become a mom. Like you lived your whole life in black and white and never even knew it.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Oh LV, I love your post. And it is so very, very true - no woman ever truly knows the amount of love her heart can encompass until her baby is born. It's just amazing. And it never goes away.

And your little lady, she is a DOLL! What a little sweetheart!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results