shape
carat
color
clarity

3 Ct Cushion Cut Diamond - with Pictures and GIA! Help!?!?!

WallaWalla3

Rough_Rock
Hi all. I'm shopping for a 3 Ct Cushion stone. I've done ALL my reading and am familiar with all the specs.

I'm looking to spend right around $25-27k. So I'm pretty much in the H or I color and VS1/VS2 clarity (I could do a SI1 if super eye clean but want to avoid SI for the most parts). The ONLY guidance I've receieved from the significant other is she wants to go BIGGER in size rather than the better specs. So going under 3ct probably is not an option. It sounds like I want to definitely avoid the "Cushion Modified Brilliants". But in my price range that doesn't leave much. I've contacted a few of the designated cushion experts on Pricescope. Most agree that in this price range and size my options are pretty limited.

I was hoping to get something with 8 mains. But in the Cushion Brilliants - all that has been presented to me (unless I want to go $30k+) has been this stone. It's a 4 Pavillion. What are your thoughts? Buy? Or, keep waiting to find something better. I've been looking for at least 4 months!?! And everything in my price range with a larger size (e.g. greater than 8.10mm length and width) is a "Modified Brilliant". Do I consider going with a "Modified"? Or, is this stone really great?

3.02cushions4pavillion.jpg
giacert3.02.jpg

bigdiamondtinygal

Shiny_Rock
Re: 3 Ct Cushion Cut Diamond - with Pictures and GIA! Help!?

Personally, I don't care for the look of that stone. I think you can get a better looking cushion with that budget.

Have you contact Perry at Leon Mege? Or Mark at ERD? If you want an antique cushion, you might see if old world diamonds has something that might suit you.

Here's an antique-style cushion ring that is 3 carats from Israel Rose in NY. It is EGL graded so I would want to see the color in person if you are color sensitive.

http://www.newyorkestatejewelry.com/engagement-rings/art-deco-style-3.01ct-cushion-modified-brilliant-diamond-platinum-engagement-ring/14258/3/item

I'm also going to go way out on a limb...this ring is not a cushion, but the setting makes the ring look so unique...and it is in your budget. Not sure if it is something you would consider, but I had to point it out. The Gabbie ring at the bottom of page 2.

http://www.jewelsbyericagrace.com/antique_vintage_and_reproduction_rings_page_2

WallaWalla3

Rough_Rock

Thanks for your response. I already have a setting picked out, so essentially I am just searching for a center stone. Old mine/vintage style is not a requirement. While it would be nice and I prefer that cut; they seem to be rarer and as a result, if I want a larger stone, I may have to go with a more modern Cushion Brilliant. I have been told by many vendors that finding a larger sized (e.g. close to 9mm width and 8.5mm length, or vice versa) 3 CT Cushion Brilliant in the $25-27k price range will likely not happen. As there just aren't any such type stones out there right now. I've been running daily Pricescope searches and nothing has come up over the past 4 months that have met those specs. Other than the one pictured above.

Also, definitely prefer GIA/AGS over EGL. Won't be able to travel to see it in person.

And, the stone from Good Old Gold looks great. Just that I want to stay I color at min to make sure it matches halo setting. And it's $5k out of my budget!

slg47

Ideal_Rock

maybe contact some of the vendors to see what they can get in that size?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

WallaWalla3|1295905236|2831762 said:
Thanks for your response. I already have a setting picked out, so essentially I am just searching for a center stone. Old mine/vintage style is not a requirement. While it would be nice and I prefer that cut; they seem to be rarer and as a result, if I want a larger stone, I may have to go with a more modern Cushion Brilliant. I have been told by many vendors that finding a larger sized (e.g. close to 9mm width and 8.5mm length, or vice versa) 3 CT Cushion Brilliant in the $25-27k price range will likely not happen. As there just aren't any such type stones out there right now. I've been running daily Pricescope searches and nothing has come up over the past 4 months that have met those specs. Other than the one pictured above.

Also, definitely prefer GIA/AGS over EGL. Won't be able to travel to see it in person.

And, the stone from Good Old Gold looks great. Just that I want to stay I color at min to make sure it matches halo setting. And it's $5k out of my budget!

My 2c - don't worry too much about that - even if you choose an I stone to match the I diamonds in your halo setting, the centerstone will look visibly darker. This is because A) fundamentally different optics in large vs small stones, see this thread for a discussion, and B) larger stones have more layers of tinted diamond material, and so will saturate any given tint.

I would definitely look at some stones IRL - you're spending enough $$ to justify a trip out to GOG or ERD, IMO! Or, at least, have some videos made of potential matches dropped into rough halo settings, and even if your local jeweller(s) don't stock cushions, if you want a chunky cushion you could have him/her show you some step cuts, perhaps, in a variety of colours in the size range you are looking at, or princesses/radiants if you are looking for a more "crushed ice" type cushion... find out what your eyes tell you about your tolerances and preferences, you may discover something unexpected!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I agree with the others that I do not care for the look of that stone. It is definitely harder to find cushion brilliants then it is to find modified cb's (it took me two tries to find my cushion brilliant!)....I'd definitely make a trip out to at least one or two of the vendors mentioned. Having looked at a LOT of cushions in person, they are all unique unto themselves, so while you can say "I want VS2 clarity and I color or above", you could look at five stones with the exact same specs on paper and like the appearance of only one of them. Trust me, for this amount of $$$, you want to get it right the first time! ;))

WallaWalla3

Rough_Rock

Thanks all for your help. If you don't mind me asking - as I am new to this - what don't you like about the stone so I know what to look for?

I have spoken with many of the suggested vendors. I am located in Seattle so getting to NYC is likely not feasible.

I have been told that $30k is the minimum I will get a 3ct Cushion Brilliant with H/I VS1/VS2 specs unless I go "Modified Brilliant" which I am told I definitely don't want.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

See, that's the thing. Other than saying that I don't really like the facet pattern, I can't explain why I don't like the look of that stone...I just don't. That's why it's so important with cushions to see them in person. I'm not saying that the cert. doesn't matter, but if you like what the cert. says but not the look of the stone, what difference does it make?

I wasn't going to comment on this, but since you alluded to it in your other post, I'll chime in. I think finding a 3ct + cushion brilliant in your price range is going to be a challenge. I ended up with a 3.51 cushion brilliant (I, VS2) and I know I paid about $37K for it (I probably overpaid by about $1-2K). You may need to go a bit smaller if you want a cushion brilliant...

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I know you're saying you don't want to go down in color, but you have to look at this one. It's my dream stone and she's HUGE (and clear and beautiful) http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/7145/

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

That is one gorgeous stone Athena!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade

yennyfire|1295911072|2831915 said:
That is one gorgeous stone Athena!

I know, right? I have sweet, sweet dreams about it often. (that sounds REALLY creepy)

I would love for a PS to grab it up so I could live vicariously.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock

WallaWalla3|1295909077|2831857 said:
Thanks all for your help. If you don't mind me asking - as I am new to this - what don't you like about the stone so I know what to look for?

I have spoken with many of the suggested vendors. I am located in Seattle so getting to NYC is likely not feasible.

I have been told that $30k is the minimum I will get a 3ct Cushion Brilliant with H/I VS1/VS2 specs unless I go "Modified Brilliant" which I am told I definitely don't want.
Maybe, maybe not. There is a great GOG video comparing two modified brilliants that (to me anyway) shows that there are great modified brilliants out there. Make sure YOU don't like any of the modified brilliants you see, don't just rely on others telling you they suck.

I'm biased, I have one, but I couldn't be happier with my choice.

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock

athenaworth|1295910982|2831912 said:
I know you're saying you don't want to go down in color, but you have to look at this one. It's my dream stone and she's HUGE (and clear and beautiful) http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/7145/

I would do crazy, crazy things for that stone. :devil: ;))

To WallaWalla3 - I don't care for the look of the stone you posted either but it's a personal choice and it may be much prettier in real life then the static picture shows. It may be worth asking for more pictures (different angles) to get a feel for the stone. And although your partner asked for bigger not better, she may (she should) be pleasantly surprised by how well a smaller well cut stone performs compared to a bigger, poorly cut diamond (like as if a 2-3 carat is small, especially if it's in a halo :bigsmile: ). I would never, never sacrifice cut for size but that's my preference. I'm not saying that the stone you are looking at isn't well cut but if you're looking around some more then make sure that the stones you look at are well cut. A smaller, better cut stone will out shine a bigger, poorly cut stone any day thus giving the impression that it's bigger then it really is. For sure. Also, there is a huge difference between the look of the stone you posted and the more "antique" looking stones so it would be important to find out what she prefers.

Check this thread out to get an idea of the different styles of cushions out there.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cushion-cuts-a-collection.135031/?hilit=cushions']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cushion-cuts-a-collection.135031/?hilit=cushions[/URL]

Good luck!

Cachette :))

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

Something has to give - you can't get all the specs in your budget unless you luckily find a second hand stone sold by a private seller.

The stone you picked is probably about as good as you can get given the constraints. We often over analyze here - you may not be able to tell the difference in real life.

WallaWalla3

Rough_Rock

All. Thanks. I have extensively researched cushions and am extermely familiar with the different types, etc. My preference would be for a vintage style but in the price range $25-27k, I realize that might be impossible. As a result, I am willing to go with a modern "Cushion Brilliant", which may be somewhat easier, if I can find a quality 3ct stone in that price range. However, it seems like the only 3ct stones under $30k are the "Modified"; which according to the vendors I've spoke with a far "inferior".

I do like the GOG stone. But again, because the stone will be haloed I wanted to do an I color at minimum. I have been told that a J will definitely be to yellow. Is that your understanding as well?

I have been sent the info on one more 3 ct. It's an 8 main; which I prefer far more than the 4 above. This one according to the vendor is "one of the best he's seen". But it will cost $30k+. I'm not sure if it's worth it? The strange thing is a month ago I found it listed on Pricescope for $3,500 less. But the vendor is telling me that diamond prices have risen dramatically and if I want it I will now have to pay the $30k+ price and there's nothing he can do. He has also been the one telling me that a 3ct "Cushion Brilliant' will be $30k min.

3.03a.jpg
3.03.jpg
3.03%20cert.jpg

slg47

Ideal_Rock

like yssie said you're definitely going to see contrast with the halo because of the type of light performance, not necessarily the color difference. the smaller diamonds in the halo look like bright white dots whereas the larger diamond will look more 3-dimensional. JBEG and GOG have some videos of warmer colored diamonds in halos that may be worth checking out.

http://vimeo.com/14621870

since a halo adds so much size, have you considered going down to 2.5 carat?

slg47

Ideal_Rock

what are the actual dimensions of the diamond?

WallaWalla3

Rough_Rock

The second diamond is 9.0mmx8.65mmx5.45mm.

LGK

Ideal_Rock

I would definitely consider buying the GOG J AVC to see in person if I were you, and returning it if you don't like. Frankly, a fabulous cut trumps a single color grade difference color every time at least in my book, lol :bigsmile: . And definitely re-read Yssie's post on the contrast you're *going* to see between a center stone and melee- regardless of color. So, accepting that the center stone is simply going to look darker due to optics than the surrounding halo stones- I'd drop color one grade to get a kicken cut like the AVC in a J color in a second. You can always ask that the halo setting be made with J color melee, for minimum contrast. A GIA/AGS J is fairly white in person face up, IMO. I wouldn't consider a J "yellow" face up- a smidge off white in some lights? Yeah. Steely in color compared to a D? Slightly, in general. But *yellow*? Not to my eye, not face up anyway, especially with a great cut. Especially if you can't see the profile due to a setting like a halo, I'd consider that stone. Just my $0.02!

Also you could ask Rhino if the J is a high one, a low one or just middling. J's aren't all created equal, it's a pretty broad range of color compared to higher color grades actually. But I'd probably pay the shipping just to see it, really, no matter what his answer on that one is.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock

That stone had a dead zone around the table. Maybe some effect like fish-eye but I don't know what is causing it in the cushion. Anyway it's not a good look at all. What about antiques? Here's one I found in a quick and dirty search:
http://www.oldworlddiamonds.com/inv_details.php?ID=1020&SHAPE=C&PAGE=6

WallaWalla3

Rough_Rock

The second stone has a dead zone around the table? Or the first? The second seems to be the best stone I have found. But it will cost me over $30k.

I wouldn't mind doing an antique style cushion; but if I am going with an I color it can't be an EGL.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock

The first looks dead around the table. The second looks awesome.

jgny

Shiny_Rock

I know you already have the setting picked out but would you be willing to buy a never used Tiffany resale:

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-5-Ct-Diamond-...nd_Solitaire_with_Accents&hash=item45f84ef066

I came across this on eBay and although it is over your budget, it does include the setting and because it is a Tiffany I think it will hold its value better.

Of course there are risks with purchasing with eBay but it seems like it is a private seller so if no one bids and you can agree on a price, it may be worth it as a different route.

WallaWalla3

Rough_Rock

Thanks. It looks like the ring on eBay is not a Tiffany ring but a "Tiffany style" ring.

GiordanoBruno

Rough_Rock

I think your grasp of your budget and what it can get you is right on.
You cannot easily get a 3CT stone in the near colorless range for 27k that would be cut in vintage cushion brilliant style, it is too expensive today to produce these style cushions to sell them at that price.

The Size/Cut trade off with cushions is one that most of us cannot answer for you, side by side comparisons in the same lighting are crucial, perhaps your vendors will send to an appraiser near you prior to purchase.

Micropave.com (Leon Mege/Perry) has many vintage style cushions at around 2.5Ct that are within your budget. If you are considering a halo and want to minimize the tint differences between melee and centre I'd go for the highest color centre you can afford (F-H) (higher than the melee) to get as close a match to the always icier round melee.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

GiordanoBruno|1295973150|2832639 said:
You cannot easily get a 3CT stone in the near colorless range for 27k that would be cut in vintage cushion brilliant style, it is too expensive today to produce these style cushions to sell them at that price.

The Size/Cut trade off with cushions is one that most of us cannot answer for you, side by side comparisons in the same lighting are crucial, perhaps your vendors will send to an appraiser near you prior to purchase.

Micropave.com (Leon Mege/Perry) has many vintage style cushions at around 2.5Ct that are within your budget. If you are considering a halo and want to minimize the tint differences between melee and centre I'd go for the highest color centre you can afford (F-H) (higher than the melee) to get as close a match to the always icier round melee.

Hello again Giordan,

I am curious with your obvious knowledge of cushions, styles and vendors etc, it is always fascinating to see a brand new poster with a high level of knowledge, have you bought a cushion for yourself? We would love to see it if so!

slg47

Ideal_Rock

GiordanoBruno|1295973150|2832639 said:

this is also what I would suggest, I was looking on their site earlier. especially since the halo adds so much size, you can afford to go a little bit smaller on the diamond

WallaWalla3

Rough_Rock

I've looked at the 2.5 ct cushions and unfortunately they are too small even with a halo. Not sure how to say this, but she has unusually large fingers. So we've decided to go with a 3ct and go down in color and clarity (H or I) to get the bigger size.That being said, I'm very suprised at the price jump between the 2.5's ($17k-$22k) and 3 cts ($33-40k+). I'm looking at almost double the price to go from a great 2.5 ct vintage cushion (the one that seemed too small; i think the length and width were about 7.66mm x 7.66mm) to a good, but larger (8.55mmx8.44mm) 3ct cushion brilliant.

Considering the current pricing, should I just pull the trigger on $32k+ for the 3 ct above? I've been told by more than one vendor now that prices will only get higher and that all decent 3ct brilliants in an H or I color will run me at least $34k. Can't do anything else with clarity or size. And, can't go down to a J color (which price range is actually where I want to be) because it will be severely pushing it with the halo. I'm worried that the I color already is too low.

Not sure what to do?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results