shape
carat
color
clarity

First ladies jewelry - Guess HU came to dinner?! huffpost

Camus

Rough_Rock
I can't fall asleep, so lets play a game. What did Mrs. O wear to the state dinner at the White House tonight? I can't tell at all, but it looks interesting and purty. I really like that she didn't wear any other necklace, ring, or bracelet... just the earrings. Oh, and this time around and there were no party crashers.

Mrs. O's dress is a red petal print silk organza off-the-shoulder Alexander McQueen gown. Uh lala. The color, red, is not a complete surprise, as it connotes courage, loyalty, honor, success, fortune, fertility, happiness and passion in Chinese culture. Here's the funniest part:
It was a very fashionable affair. According to pool reports, there was a little Q&A with attendees:
-Barbra Streisand, when asked why she was there: “I worked in a Chinese restaurant.”
-Anna Wintour said she wanted to ask President Hu to “invest money in Chinese fashion."
-Jackie Chan on why he brought a big camera: "I just want to take some photo."

As for what they ate, we know it was "quintessentially American": lobster, steak, apple pie and ice cream. After dinner, about 300 guests--Sasha and Malia included--took in a performance by jazz great Herbie Hancock.

FULL MENU
First
D'Anjou Pear with Farmstead Goat Cheese Fennel, Black Walnuts, and White Balsamic
Second
Poached Maine Lobster
Orange Glaze Carrots and Black Trumpet Mushrooms
Wine: DuMol Chardonnay "Russian River" 2008 (California)
Lemon Sorbet

Main
Dry Aged Rib Eye with Buttermilk Crisp Onions
Double Stuffed Potatoes and Creamed Spinach
Wine: Quilceda Creek Cabernet "Columbia Valley" 2005 (Washington State)
Dessert
Old Fashioned Apple Pie
with Vanilla Ice Cream
Wine: Poet's Leap Riesling "Botrytis" 2008 (Washington State)

On to the pictures

I like what FLOTUS is wearing, but in this specific picture it makes her look a little pregnant IMHO
Michelledress_0.jpg
AP110119059472.jpg 108179452.jpg Michelle6.jpg Michelle.jpg slide_16325_226702_large.jpg

Oh, Anna. Why does it look like you have Bump-Its in your hair?
Aw.jpg VeraWang.jpg slide_16317_226596_huge.jpg

By the way, what kind of chairs are these? they look like they are made out of something clear. glass?
slide_16317_226606_huge.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: First ladies jewelry - Guess HU came to dinner?! huffpos

Oooo, I love her dress!

On a funny side note, a friend who watched the dinner was telling me how the white house invited numerous Asian guests to dinner, but that it was kind of amusing that most of them were either of Taiwanese or Hong Kong descent, and almost none were actually from main land china, lol. Oops.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Seeing that pic of James Brolin reminded me of the crush I had on him when he was on Marcus Welby back in the 70's...yikes, I'm showing my age. I think he still looks great!

I'm not always a fan of Michelle O'Bama's fashion choices, but I think she looked really lovely at this event.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock

I believe the chairs are made out of lucite or clear acrylic. Oddly contemporary in such a formally traditional room.

iLander

Ideal_Rock

I hate to say it, but I really don't care for this dress . . .

Camus

Rough_Rock

I really want to know what's in her earrings, anyone wanne guess?

Camus

Rough_Rock

MakingTheGrade|1295542772|2827707 said:
Oooo, I love her dress!

On a funny side note, a friend who watched the dinner was telling me how the white house invited numerous Asian guests to dinner, but that it was kind of amusing that most of them were either of Taiwanese or Hong Kong descent, and almost none were actually from main land china, lol. Oops.

yeah, I noticed that. It seemed like every well know Chinese American actor, designer, politician, journalist, or athlete was there. I get the sentiment, you gotta what you gotta do.

I'm so happy that there were no party crashers at this one ;-)

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock

iLander|1295547691|2827795 said:
I hate to say it, but I really don't care for this dress . . .

The dress was fine, the Ursula the Sea Witch hair made me cringe.

I would have loved to see a bright yellow Sapphire in those earrings rather then the drab whatever.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results