shape
carat
color
clarity

What are you currently saving for?

tigian

Ideal_Rock
I'll start:
We recently paid off one of our cars and the money is being put towards DH trip abroad for school, which is in May.
After May, the money will be going towards our August trip to Budapest and Madrid.
It seems I will never be getting to my dream 1.5 ctw studs. ;(

oh, and of course, our emergency fund can never be too big.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
A house! We're getting so close to buying one (we're currently looking) and we're saving every cent towards the downpayment.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
A couple things, right now:

1. Trip to Vegas in April.
2. My baby ring (which keeps getting put off for emergencies)
3. A new stroller for Micah.

All three of these have been put off many times because stuff keeps coming up. My husband got t-boned in the Mazda last month and so now we have to put some of the money we were holding towards the deductible. At least that will come back when we get reimbursed. Our income tax return will cover the Vegas trip, and hopefully we can just outright buy the other two things in the next 6 months. I want that baby ring SO bad!

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
We're saving for a couple things, none of them jewelry related sadly ;(

1. Getting all our hardwood floors refinished
2. Paying off DH's car
3. Building our emergency fund up to 3-6 months living expenses

We bought a house straight from the 60s a few months ago so there are a lot of projects we'd like to tackle, but we don't want to neglect our other financial goals and pour everything into the house either.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not saving as much as we'd like since I've been out of work for 7 months. We're working on our emergency fund so that if this ever happens again, we don't have to watch every penny so closely!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
1. 3 cttw tennis bracelet
2. Family trip to Asia, hopefully this fall.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
New Zealand! (With the possible addition of Singapore to the itenerary...)

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Lordy, we're saving for so much stuff right now that it feels like we could save forever and not reach our goals!

1. Home renovations, though none that really have to happen right away
2. New (used) vehicle--no loan, but HATE writing the check for depreciating assets
3. All things baby

Also still trying to figure out schedule for paying off house vs. renovations vs. future kids' college accounts.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Elrohwen|1294943985|2821782 said:
A house! We're getting so close to buying one (we're currently looking) and we're saving every cent towards the downpayment.

Yeah, us too! We're trying to save as much $ as possible. We had looked at a few townhouses 1.5 years ago and the same ones are now $100K CHEAPER. Hopefully by the time we have the cash, they'll have gone down even more!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a big birthday later this year and want a nice piece of jewelry and a nice trip...so not that we're saving for those
particularly but some of our "spare" money will go to those.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. house stuff
- kitchen flooring (subfloor seems to also be bad -- NOT good on 2nd floor!!)
- water heater (25+ years old...)
- inspection/cleaning (chimney, septic, HVAC, airconditioning)
2. school tuition
3. wedding (while I'd love for this to be #1, reality & common sense say that we HAVE to have water, heat, and NOT fall through the floor)

Long term:
1. 24 month emergency fund (at least)
2. car paid in full with future cars purchased in cash
3. my past student loans paid off ($15,000 --- current tuition is paid each quarter in cash)
4. house paid off (we'd like to get to where we're paying the equivalent of 2 mortgage payments/month + an additional $10,000/year)
5. we'd LOVE to buy the house that is behind us so we can combine the lots, live in one house and tear down & rebuild the other into our dream house then turn the 2nd into a MIL appartment + garage + workshop

Oh.... and diamonds along the way!
Especially a 3 stone ring with additional channel set diamonds on either side. 1.5-2.5 ct center, .75-1.25ct sides. White & yellow gold combo. Maybe some pave too?

- I need 5 more new storm windows... 15 are already done at an average of $475 a piece ;( We wanted to pay cash though so this has taken a few rounds to get these done.
- kitchen floor- I'm going vinyl though instead of refinishing the wood floors. no thanks! I've had enough of trying to deal with this place
- need to build up our 6 month emergency bill payments again
- extra $$ for when we move..next year hopefully! (snowblower, lawnmower, all of the things we don't have now)
- $$ for movers
- a new setting.. when I can decide what I want! :bigsmile:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Our big saving goal (other than retirement and college funds) is to tear off the synthetic stucco on our home and replace it with brick. When we bought the house, we also got a stucco insurance policy that was supposed to cover damages up to $100K, but what we didn't know was that every year, when it was time to renew, they'd hit us with $2-3K in repairs that needed to be done (and that WEREN'T covered) before they'd re-insure us...and of course, they had to do the work....can you say SCAM??!!

Anyhow, that will be about $40-50K, so that's huge. I'd also like to tackle some of the more cosmetic projects like updating the bathrooms and adding a bathroom upstairs....

I'd also like a pair of 1.20 tcw OEC studs....someday...

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Currently, we are saving for some home projects. Last fall we cleared some more land in our backyard so that my DS has some more room to play. Now that that project is complete, it leads to more projects....these are our big ones for this year.

1. Redo our deck with a Trex or some other composite that will last for years
2. We have a walk out basement so we'd like to put a paver patio under the new deck, which will be nice to entertain and enjoy our view
3. We also plan on trading in our car for another SUV. Now that we have a DS and am hoping to conceive again this year, we need all the room we can get! I'd like to pay cash for the SUV plus our trade in.

Oh and if all goes well and we are blessed with another child, I am hoping for an eternity ring from ID to celebrate the birth! :appl:

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
We will be buying our next home in 3-4 years when I know my permanent location within my company (though I'm almost 100% certain it will be in the SF Bay Area). We want to be able to put 20% down on that house so we are aggressively saving for that. We are also rebuilding our emergency fund since we lost our shirts in selling our old home. We realistically have about 7 months in there now.

I am itching for a new jewelry project. I am getting quotes on a reset but am not 100% sure what I want. Mostly sure, but not quite. I also am in love with the idea of a statement ring a la Gypsy's Aurora Band. Something with a similar presence. Of course the latter would take a lot more saving than the former. I'm great at finding lots of smaller items that I want and could easily save for but I keep telling myself that its worth waiting for THE next project.

We're taking a trip to Europe in October. Not sure where yet but we know its a big expense coming up.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I almost forgot the airplane :o

Okay.... so I've been trying to forget it for right now since I've got enough other stuff going right now :rolleyes:

FI and I are restoring a Romanian Airforce trainer. We have the airplane sitting in a hangar at the airport and a bunch of new parts for it sitting in our garage. It needs:
- engine teardown/inspection
- certain engine parts cleaned/coated
- wing attach custom made
- re-skin new wings
- attach new wings
- new propellors
- new interior (seats, etc)
- new control cables or cleaning/inspection of old
- new instruments and/or recallibration of old
- mechanic sign off (annual inspection)
- insurance!!!
- paint
- FI's bi-annual flight review
- medical
- my pilot's license
- medical
- ground & flight training
- plus bunches of little stuff that comes up along the way
- special order screws/bolts as needed
- custom make pieces as needed
- possiblity of new engine (if old is in too bad of shape)

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
I am saving for a Theremin - a handmade one - oh so beautiful! :)

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
All money must go towards our first home.

We are sooo behind.

pinkstars

Brilliant_Rock
MOVING!!!!

Then just regular savings.

BF is getting toward the end of finishing up applications to grad school, whenever he hears back and can figure out where to go, then we can plan a little bit more. He actually wants to get rid of everything we have now and then just get new stuff when we get down there. Which is mostly okay since having to trek anything 4000+ miles will be a hassle, I'm not so sure I follow his plan.
We really don't have that much right now, the only things that are movable are the: tv, bed, video games and various kitchen appliances(so far the only thing he's willing to keep.) But he keeps saying that he's fine with being not having a lot of stuff, but I think having a frame for the bed isn't asking too much. Or a coffee table, and a couch to sit on in front of it.

We'll see though, I really hate buying cheap or low quality items of anything, and I don't want to resort to that after we move just so that we have somewhere to sit and eat!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mostly paying off our home. We put a little away towards other things as well like, furniture and home repairs. I am now on a
budget :angryfire: and DH and I get a monthly amount to spend on ourselves. I am saving mine for either a pair of hoops from
Costco, or a pair of studs from Brian. Not sure which.

We do still have one year of college for one son and another in 8th grade so we have to continue to save for that too. Luckily, the
only debt we have is our home.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
A house!!!! Hopefully by next year!!!!! :appl: :appl:

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
A round the world ticket. I just reached my goal :bigsmile: :praise: Am going to the travel agent's tomorrow, and working up the nerve to hand in my notice!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This, maybe.

4679_di_image_422b3.jpg

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I'm working on paying off my debt. After that (but in no particular order):

School
Skydiving
A trip to Tennessee
A Trip to Busch Gardens
Custom Seat Covers for my truck
Camouflage pants
A Rifle
highlights in my hair
My membership dues for our hunting club

Megalomi

Rough_Rock
For now...trying to pay off all debt including my truck in the snowball order.

Then:
1 - Passports
2- 6 mos emergency fund
3 - Do the max for IRAs
4 - Mommy makeover - I actually want to list this as objective #1 after the debt payoff.

We rent for now and live in SoCal. There's only 3 of us and I don't think we'll be having anymore kids.

Working on living with less at home, de-stashing and de-cluttering. Simplify things for a more care-free life.

Now...to find things to sell via craigslist/ebay :D

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Right now "I'm" saving up for 1.5 tcw studs, Dh is saving $$$$ to redo our back yard. We're actually always saving together.

He says it's so unfair that I'm always getting bling for myself (fun for me only) whereas he gets stuff that the whole famly can enjoy such as our Disney cruise, our new sectional etc. :cheeky:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
if forgot...plastic surgery!!

calories for a smaller butt

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
To pay down the mortgage. Even tho I've been unemployed for a while we've paid off a chunk toward the principal in addition to the nortgage payment every month. We have no cc debt, the cars are paid for and our son's education is all paid up. I absoutely positively want to move south and want to get out of this awful weather {we currently live in NJ} and the husband says we can't go anywhere until the mortgage is paid. We have about 6 years to go on a 15 year, but with paying more every month I hope to pay he house off and move in 4 years or so.

I'd also like to get a platinum eternity band with 1/4 carat emerald cut diamonds but somehow that doesn't fit in with paying the house off and moving south.....

tigian

Ideal_Rock
pinkstars|1294955935|2822052 said:
MOVING!!!!

Then just regular savings.

BF is getting toward the end of finishing up applications to grad school, whenever he hears back and can figure out where to go, then we can plan a little bit more. He actually wants to get rid of everything we have now and then just get new stuff when we get down there. Which is mostly okay since having to trek anything 4000+ miles will be a hassle, I'm not so sure I follow his plan.
We really don't have that much right now, the only things that are movable are the: tv, bed, video games and various kitchen appliances(so far the only thing he's willing to keep.) But he keeps saying that he's fine with being not having a lot of stuff, but I think having a frame for the bed isn't asking too much. Or a coffee table, and a couch to sit on in front of it.

We'll see though, I really hate buying cheap or low quality items of anything, and I don't want to resort to that after we move just so that we have somewhere to sit and eat!
Hey Pinkstars,
My DH, BF at the time, moved from NJ to CA to be with me. I was convinced we should throw all his stuff out, but I'm so glad I listened to him. We have slowly replaced his crappy furniture for better quality stuff. You will need something to sit on and sleep on as you get settled and nice furniture cannot be bought in a hurry. Plus moving costs are always more than we estimate. Listen to your instincts! :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results