shape
carat
color
clarity

will $4k buy me a nice Colombian Emerald?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One green blob for Kenny (both photos taken in very strong mid-day Mediterranean sun) - a "reasonable" match to the colour I see but it looks flat in the photo which it isn't IRL:

Emerald Ring2 1s.JPG

Emerald Ring5_1_1.JPG

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
serenitydiamonds|1294777295|2819951 said:
tourmaline_lover|1294776454|2819931 said:
serenitydiamonds|1294774484|2819896 said:
A 'flawless' emerald just has a lower amount of internal fractures that are visible to the naked eye. Under magnification, emeralds have textures and inclusions, and those are the source of their velvety glow, somewhat similar to Kashmir Sapphires. This texture makes high quality emeralds 'lifeless' in most photos, but striking in person.

--Joshua

I always tell people you know you're probably seeing a good emerald in a photo if it looks like a dark green blob. LOL! They do look lifeless in photos, that's a good way of putting it.
Yeah.... unfortunately a good emerald shouldn't look good in a photo to an untrained eye. Photography has been a hobby of mine for a long time and I've been trying to get them captured close to real life.... unfortunately no successes so far. It's even more challenging when you factor in the fact that everyone's monitor is calibrated differently. It may look fine on my screen, super dark on yours, and light green on someone else's. Green being the worst color rendered in the digital world isn't helping much either....

--Joshua

2d.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD, marry me?

That is really really fantastic.
Please don't make me want another gem.
Me going broke. ;(

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:bigsmile: Kenny!

I must politely decline (for selfish reasons). Just think, if I accepted your kind invitation, it wouldn't be a battle for the bathroom mirror, but we'd most definitely have a race to the jewellery/gemstones in the morning! I couldn't stand the competition!

Luckily I'm married to a man who thinks a window is something that only houses have and a bad cut is something you get when shaving (him obviously, not me :lol: )

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovingDiamonds|1294778616|2819977 said:

I must politely decline (for selfish reasons). Just think, if I accepted your kind invitation, it wouldn't be a battle for the bathroom mirror, but we'd most definitely have a race to the jewellery/gemstones in the morning! I couldn't stand the competition!

Luckily I'm married to a man who thinks a window is something that only houses have and a bad cut is something you get when shaving (him obviously, not me :lol: )

Too bad, you two could open a gem museum together. :love:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tourmaline_lover|1294778692|2819980 said:

There's room for a third in our marriage - care to join? Just think of the extra blingage!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think we might go blind. Hehehehehe. :lol:

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
kenny|1294778034|2819967 said:
serenitydiamonds|1294777295|2819951 said:
tourmaline_lover|1294776454|2819931 said:
serenitydiamonds|1294774484|2819896 said:
A 'flawless' emerald just has a lower amount of internal fractures that are visible to the naked eye. Under magnification, emeralds have textures and inclusions, and those are the source of their velvety glow, somewhat similar to Kashmir Sapphires. This texture makes high quality emeralds 'lifeless' in most photos, but striking in person.

--Joshua

I always tell people you know you're probably seeing a good emerald in a photo if it looks like a dark green blob. LOL! They do look lifeless in photos, that's a good way of putting it.
Yeah.... unfortunately a good emerald shouldn't look good in a photo to an untrained eye. Photography has been a hobby of mine for a long time and I've been trying to get them captured close to real life.... unfortunately no successes so far. It's even more challenging when you factor in the fact that everyone's monitor is calibrated differently. It may look fine on my screen, super dark on yours, and light green on someone else's. Green being the worst color rendered in the digital world isn't helping much either....

--Joshua
Lol, so cute;-)

--J

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovingDiamonds|1294778769|2819981 said:
tourmaline_lover|1294778692|2819980 said:

There's room for a third in our marriage - care to join? Just think of the extra blingage!

One question, which one of us has to be Camilla? :???:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1294762230|2819718 said:
I’d get only the AGL prestige report (with colour quality rating) when you are spending this sort of money. Serenity Diamonds have a good selection although most are not listed online. It’s best that you contact Josh directly. www.serenity-diamonds.com

This one looks like a good buy because it gives you the best value for $4K.
http://serenity-diamonds.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=18&LotNo=EM-EM-0416
why no lab report come with this stone,b/c the value is too low?...:confused:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1294791296|2820148 said:
Chrono|1294762230|2819718 said:
I’d get only the AGL prestige report (with colour quality rating) when you are spending this sort of money. Serenity Diamonds have a good selection although most are not listed online. It’s best that you contact Josh directly. www.serenity-diamonds.com

This one looks like a good buy because it gives you the best value for $4K.
http://serenity-diamonds.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=18&LotNo=EM-EM-0416
why no lab report come with this stone,b/c the value is too low?...:confused:

Josh can evaluate emeralds on his own, but he will provide an AGL for an additional fee. He's right down the street from the AGL, so this is no problem.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
tourmaline_lover|1294791905|2820158 said:
Josh can evaluate emeralds on his own, but he will provide an AGL for an additional fee. He's right down the street from the AGL, so this is no problem.

Slight threadjack:

tl, is AGL also on NY 47st?

DF, sorry for the threadjack! You are in good hands here! I am excited to see what you get! GL!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Correct, AGL is right down the corner from Josh and for higher priced items, AGL memos are usually included in the price. If interested, you can contact Josh about it. It could be that they didn’t have time to send this particular emerald to the lab yet.

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Typically for vendors that import stones directly from source for wholesale clients with professional buyers they will only 'paper' a stone to justify a significantly higher price. Emerald prices are based on the assumption of moderate treatment typically, so it's a little rarer to have 'paper' attached to them. They would also be 'paper'ed if the gem had a potential retail interest who had requested it, among many other reasons.

Typically when stones are above a certain price level the grading report would not carry an additional cost.

--Joshua

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
serenitydiamonds|1294844790|2820658 said:
Typically for vendors that import stones directly from source for wholesale clients with professional buyers they will only 'paper' a stone to justify a significantly higher price. Emerald prices are based on the assumption of moderate treatment typically, so it's a little rarer to have 'paper' attached to them. They would also be 'paper'ed if the gem had a potential retail interest who had requested it, among many other reasons.

Typically when stones are above a certain price level the grading report would not carry an additional cost.

--Joshua
Hi Josh... :wavey: ..how much extra for an AGL report?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1294878928|2821153 said:
serenitydiamonds|1294844790|2820658 said:

--Joshua
Hi Josh... :wavey: ..how much extra for an AGL report?

It's probably best to email Josh through his site at http://serenity-diamonds.com/ for the specifics.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diva rose|1295675507|2829469 said:
I must confess, I do 'stalk' Josh's site at Serenity in hopes of one day being able to afford one. :)

DF - did you end up purchasing an emerald?
Was this you? Cause if you bought this one - I am very jealous!
http://serenity-diamonds.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=18&LotNo=EM-110

If it wasn't DF - whoever bought it and happens to be on PS - please post photos!
no,but i'd need to give Josh a call. i'm still nervous about buying a CS... ::)

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You should be nervous DF...you're at the beginning of a dangerous addiction!

diva rose

Shiny_Rock
MakingTheGrade|1296007415|2833101 said:
You should be nervous DF...you're at the beginning of a dangerous addiction!

I have to agree with this. I have been wanting to purchase some coloured gems for awhile since I've come to this section of PS.
I'm afraid I won't be able to stop after one - LOL.

Good luck DF and keep us posted! :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results