shape
carat
color
clarity

Oiled Colombia Emerald,questions to ask

Agnesg

Shiny_Rock
Hello, I need some advise on Emerald..I read that oiling is stable but not permanent. There are various type of oiling. So, when a vendor states oiled, do I need to ask if what type of oil is used? What does it mean by not permanent? Will oiling greatly reduce the price? what should I look out for when purchasing an oiled colombian emerald? Is a AIGS memo required? Greatly appreciate your help thks

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
will try to answer some of ur ?'s-not sure of oil type but sometimes a color agent is added to enhance color----not permanent means that the oil can be leached out by cleaning or improper handleing but can b replaced-----an accepted practice in the industry for stones that show internal lines/flaws whose appearence can b improved w/oiling----a stone marked standard treatment usually means oiling if presented as such-any other treatment should b disclosed - one should ask direct questions of the seller- most responces are up front if asked direct questions-any help?-my 2 cnts-steve...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agnesg|1294480420|2817422 said:
Hello, I need some advise on Emerald..I read that oiling is stable but not permanent. There are various type of oiling. So, when a vendor states oiled, do I need to ask if what type of oil is used? What does it mean by not permanent? Will oiling greatly reduce the price? what should I look out for when purchasing an oiled colombian emerald? Is a AIGS memo required? Greatly appreciate your help thks

Read my last post in this thread.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/will-4k-buy-me-a-nice-colombian-emerald.154767/

And then know that oil typically is cedar wood oil. The resins used can vary from the newer and more permanent ones, like opticon, which are generally stable and very accepted in the trade.

Never ever accept a pricey stone without knowing the "DEGREE OF ENHANCEMENT." Enhancement is one thing, but many dealers refuse to denote the degree of enhancement, and I think that's more important than what the stone is enhanced with. For example, I have an emerald with minor enhancement with an old resin that was unstable. I could always have it retreated, but there's very little resin left in the stone, and it turned white. Since it's on the pavillion, you can't see it. It really doesn't affect the value much because the stone can always be retreated with another more modern resin or oil. There are jewelers that perform this service. However, what is important is the degree of enhancement. If my stone had significant enhancement, it would be worth far less than it is now. The nice thing about the modern resins is that they're stable, unlike oil, and they do not have to be retreated every few years (like oil). However, some purists only like the old treatment of cedar wood oil.

I would never buy a pricey emerald these days without an AGL prestige report. AIGS does not cut the water with me for emeralds. If it's inexpensive, then you can buy it, but don't be surprised if it's significant enhancement and/or with some unstable resin. You don't want your stone turning white and cloudy on you.

Agnesg

Shiny_Rock
Thks Steve and Tourmaline Lover. I read the post, I am not looking at a high grade one. this is suppose to be a 3 stone birthstone ring. And it will be a cabochon set in bezel. I saw this 1.5 carats pear cab going at $150, she told me that its oiled. I will pepper her with questions tomorrow. I just need one that will not change color or turn cloudy. What clever questions should I ask? What should I look out for? thks

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agnesg|1294499865|2817507 said:
Thks Steve and Tourmaline Lover. I read the post, I am not looking at a high grade one. this is suppose to be a 3 stone birthstone ring. And it will be a cabochon set in bezel. I saw this 1.5 carats pear cab going at $150, she told me that its oiled. I will pepper her with questions tomorrow. I just need one that will not change color or turn cloudy. What clever questions should I ask? What should I look out for? thks

A 1.5 ct cab for $150 is likely to be a low quality emerald with a significant amount of enhancement. Regardless of what the dealer says, don't be surprised if it turns white or cloudy after a period of years. I don't know the dealer you're discussing, and if she's being truthful when she said it's oiled, but regarless, oiling will have to be redone every few years or it will lose it's beauty, in particular if it's a low quality stone. I would also not bezel an emerald. Since they are full of many cracks and fissures, of which many reach the surface, bezeling it could easily chip or damage the stone.

If I were you, I would look for a cabochon tsavorite instead. Cab tsavorites look most like emeralds, and they're much more durable.

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
tourmaline_lover|1294500391|2817511 said:
Agnesg|1294499865|2817507 said:

A 1.5 ct cab for $150 is likely to be a low quality emerald with a significant amount of enhancement. Regardless of what the dealer says, don't be surprised if it turns white or cloudy after a period of years. I don't know the dealer you're discussing, and if she's being truthful when she said it's oiled, but regarless, oiling will have to be redone every few years or it will lose it's beauty, in particular if it's a low quality stone. I would also not bezel an emerald. Since they are full of many cracks and fissures, of which many reach the surface, bezeling it could easily chip or damage the stone.

If I were you, I would look for a cabochon tsavorite instead. Cab tsavorites look most like emeralds, and they're much more durable.
+1, a $150 emerald is going to be very poor material at 1.5 carats.

--Joshua

Agnesg

Shiny_Rock
Thks for the advises. I am currently looking at a unoiled Zambian Emerald. It is free of enhancement. Why is it priced lower than Colombian? thks

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Agnesg|1294634057|2818588 said:
Thks for the advises. I am currently looking at a unoiled Zambian Emerald. It is free of enhancement. Why is it priced lower than Colombian? thks
Typically there is a stronger demand for Colombian material, so that's the first reason prices are higher. Second, Colombian material is typically a much better color than Zambian, and that's the second reason it's cheaper. The best way to judge how ideal the the color of an emerald is by examining the photograph, but not how you'd typically think. Fully saturated emeralds photograph rather poorly, so if the photo of the emerald looks perfect, chances are you're dealing with a lighter color gem. Lastly, when someones mention a gem is completely un-oiled, that usually means it's a light green 'crystal' emerald, and not a fully saturated emerald, again priced less. Fully saturated untreated emeralds price at tens of thousands or more per carat.

--Joshua

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results