shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond purchased online - setting/mounting question

finnr

Rough_Rock
I just purchased a round brilliant loose diamond online and my next step is to pick out a setting and have it mounted. I did not want to get the setting online because there is a particular brand I like that is only sold in certain retail stores.

My question is are most jewelers willing to sell someone a setting only and then mount the diamond that was purchased elsewhere into that setting? Or do some refuse or hesitate if you don't buy the diamond from them? Is there typically a mounting fee?

I had looked at diamonds & settings in several stores but decided I could get more diamond for the money online. So now I will be looking to go back and shop for the setting. Is this common practice?

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Some jewelers may refuse to set your stone - and you'd want to stay away from them anyway! But, in my experience, the majority of jewelers will set your stone and charge a mounting fee ranging from $100 to $300 (the higher quote is from a local store where I live; most places charge less than that). You will definitely need to have insurance for your loose stone to cover the stone in the unlikely event that the stone is damaged during the setting process. The jeweler's insurance will not cover your stone and the setting company will likely not cover the loss either. Jeweler's Mutual is a great company that offers loose stone insurance for a reasonable fee. Make sure the jeweler sends your stone to the setting manufacturer to be set and does not do the work themselves! There are horror stories on here about people buying a Veraggio or Vatche or other brand, and the jeweler does the work on the setting themselves which invalidates the manufacturer's warranty in many cases.

antelope1

Brilliant_Rock
And keep in mind that HOF dealers are not supposed to set non-HOF diamonds in HOF settings. So if it's a HOF setting that you want, you might have to go custom...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
antelope1|1294332727|2815785 said:
And keep in mind that HOF dealers are not supposed to set non-HOF diamonds in HOF settings. So if it's a HOF setting that you want, you might have to go custom...

Many will make an exception. I've been offered the setting only from 3 of the vendors around me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results