shape
carat
color
clarity

Mens solid Platinum chain?

CUSO

Shiny_Rock
I have soooo many 18k gold chains. But I really want a solid platinum chain, between 90-120 grams. Now the ammount for the raw platinum for the chain is about 3-4k. I cant find anything for less than 11k for what I want. I wont pay 11k. Gold almost costs as much as platinum right now, but a gold chain like that costs half. I know platinum is harder to work with, but that much of a premium? In your opinion, would an independant jeweler make something like this for me if I provide the metal, and pay them 1000 for the labor? Just thinking, and tossing ideas.. Thanks

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
The reason for the cost difference is platinum is 1.5 times heavier than gold for the same volume, and you're right it's more labor intensive to work with and it is used in a higher purity; 18K is 75% gold and platinum in most jewelry applications is 90-95% pure. So it's not a matter of them being almost the same price per ounce, you would use a lot more platinum to make the same piece. I'm sorry I don't have any guidance on what to do about a chain. I'd look for a used one on ebay, but you already seem to be an ebay maestro.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure you can trot forth the sum of $1000 for labor when you don't really know how much labor or skill or equipment is involved.

What kind of chain do you want? One that is tightly woven like a double-loop-in-loop (looks like a dense, sinuous snake) or a simple cable chain? Just saying you want a chain is pretty broad. There's chain and then there's CHAIN, you know? The amount of labor can differ dramatically.

You say you're going to provide the metal. Raw bullion bars? (I can just see some guy hand-pulling platinum wire all day) In Wire form? Will it be an alloy? If so, which platinum alloy? Not all are alike, and work differently. Each craftsman has his/her preference, and most won't work outside that preference. Be ready to pay an additional charge for the jeweler to alloy your raw metal and pull the wire, or supply them with the wire they require. Wire and sheet are not sold at commodity prices BTW. Platinum is harder to work at every point in the process, not just when it hits the jeweler's bench.

And speaking of craftsmen, good luck finding one willing to make chain, platinum or otherwise. Most bench jewelers I've talked to say, "Yeah, I learned to DO it in school, but God help me if I'd do it NOW.", or something similar. There is a tedium factor to consider when asking a jeweler/craftsman to do something like that, if they don't specialize in it. Why should he do that, when he can make a similar amount of money doing faster, more interesting jobs? True chainmakers are a rare breed. They're out there, but don't expect to find one - a good one - at just any corner jewelry store. There's a reason you rarely ever see handmade chain. Too expensive, both in money, time, and insanity for the guy making it. And machine made chain - in this case at least - is better anyway, really. Stronger, more even, laser welded.

I truly suspect trying to go handmade is NOT going to get you chain on the cheap....

Article on the history of chainmaking in general, mostly about platinum chain.

http://www.platinumguild.com/files/pdf/V11N4_platinum_chain.pdf

and an artist who does make amazing chains. In GOLD.

http://www.thegoldweaver.com/

And yes, I make chain. Fused chain, as in each link hand-wrapped, cut, butted and fused without solder, meaning in either fine silver or 22 karat gold, since anything less pure needs soldering. Then shaped and woven link by link with 2 sets of pliers and an awl and an enormous amount of time and patience. One might consider this "old-fashioned". ;-) And soldering links? Um..NO. I'm crazy but not THAT crazy.

CUSO

Shiny_Rock
I want something like this:

CHAIN.jpg

I know arbitrarily throwing out 1k was silly, but I have no clue as to the labor, that is why I am here.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Cuso, I know posting on Hangout is fun. I do it all the time. But I do think that introducing you to some of the other forums on here might be helpful to you.

When you are inquiring about diamond jewelry we have a board called "Rocky Talky" when you are inquiring about colored stone jewelry we have a board called "Colored Stones" When you get a piece and want to show it off... there is "Show Me the Bling."

We have a Pearl forum too. And, for a post like this one there is "Jewelry Pieces." Most vendors and some 'experts' don't come to hangout as it is usually just a place for members to chat, and members know that when they have specific jewelry questions the best place for answers if the board that is set up for that type of piece.

I think you'll find this place a lot more informative if you post in the correct forums for your questions.

Not that we don't enjoy your extravagent posts, but... for the specific information you want you will find swifter help if you direct your posts to the areas allocated for them. :wavey:

If you post in the incorrect forum you can also ask the moderators nicely to move your post to the correct one and they will accomodate you.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never seen a thick platinum chain like that (have in white gold).
The only platinum chains I've seen off the top of my head are one's that are part of necklaces, or petite women's chains on Blue Nile. Let us know how your search goes. A while ago I purchased a gold chain from this internet place that had millions of chains (14, 18K, different styles, thickness, lengths etc, but they were all gold).

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And you probably won't know the labor and cost involved until you take in your requirements and start asking professional jewelers in your area. I was merely pointing out that handmade chain is not necessarily going to get you what you want - ie, cheaper. You clearly think that the chains you're looking at are ridiculously overpriced. But if all the chains you're looking at are priced like this, maybe they aren't...

ETA - If the chain link you're after is as large as I suspect it is, it probably IS handmade. I'm not sure how large a platinum chain can reasonably be made by a machine - ie, if there is even enough demand for chain that large to warrant the tool up cost to make it. The prices you're seeing may actually already reflect a handmade price.

Bruce Boone

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hello CUSO,
Now a days platinum jewelery are more popular with men as well as women. With gold or silver chains, the clasp often breaks since it is unable to withstand the pressure of normal wear and tear. Platinum jewelry chains provide a solution to this problem. Platinum is almost 95% pure whereas eighteen karat gold is 75% pure thatswhy the demands of these platinum chains are more as compare to others.

Thanks
www.boonerings.com

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Looking at that picture, my solution would be to carve a link out of wax and cast them. With a little design modification, they could be made easier to cast and join afterwards.

Another crazy chain maker (silver) whose current project requires 1.5 meters of handwoven chain. Agh!

CUSO

Shiny_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1293800823|2810845 said:
Looking at that picture, my solution would be to carve a link out of wax and cast them. With a little design modification, they could be made easier to cast and join afterwards.

Another crazy chain maker (silver) whose current project requires 1.5 meters of handwoven chain. Agh!

So is casting less expensive labor wise? I am sure the linking and polishing are the hard part here, right? So assuming casting is the way to go, are there lots of jewelers (in your opinion) who would take up the challange for a reasonable cost? Who would you recomend specifically?

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady_Disdain|1293800823|2810845 said:

A bit of a thread jack here...

LD - I saw your stuff. NICE! :appl:

My husband is always after me to do some viking knit, but I'm stuck right now doing fused fine silver double loop-in-loop chain. About 30 links per inch. Killer. But gosh, it is gorgeous when you get done (IF you get done!).

Here is a pic of a bracelet length piece. It is 5mm in diameter, to give you an idea. I have 5mm tubing I'm going to use to make the ends....

coiled_chain.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results