shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you see the inclusions on your diamond...?

nr00

Rough_Rock
I have a 1ct SI2 diamond and I just got the ring. I love it but I am very nit picky...! And notice on the sides of the diamond and underneath I can see the inclusions! There looks like a lot. But I can't see them from viewing from the top.
I honestly didn't think I'd be able to see then with my naked eye like I am.
What about diamonds that are the "very small" and "very very small" inclusions? Do you think I'd be able to see those too?
I don't find that it ruins the diamond because unless someone's got it in their hand and are looking for it they won't see it. But I'm curious if diamonds with smaller inclusions can be seen too with the naked eye?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Possible even with accurately graded stones. I think, depending on the inclusions, location and orientation, it is possible all the way to VS2.

Anonymous6

Shiny_Rock
What kind of inclusions are you seeing?

The one type I wanted to avoid were those black inclusions/markings that existed in some SI2 and SI1s I saw in some B&M vendors....

Anything else, I didn't really pay TOO much attention to. White inclusions I'm okay with. One vendor explained to me that even a black inclusion is really just a TINY speck.... which is magnified hundreds of times kind of like if you were in a room with 300 mirrors...

I forgot his exact explanation but it was something along the lines of that (sorry, not much help I know)

tannet

Shiny_Rock
I recently got a VS2 RB with a small black inclusion near the point of one of the arrows. I can't see it with the naked eye, even looking super close. However, under 10x mag I can. I'm no pro at using a loupe though so it's sometimes difficult for me to locate. I actually find it easier to locate using the H&A viewer BGD provided with the diamond. I think having the color contrast helps.

My bf seems to have eagle eyes and doesn't see the inclusion with the naked eye either. But under 10x mag, that was the first thing that caught his eye!

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
i can see one inclusion from the top in my SI2 stone if i hold it at the correct angle.

it doesn't bother me at all, it is less than the tiniest pinspot.

i can see way more inclusions from the side if i hold up the ring to a backlight.

i expected it, it's an SI2 stone and i have eagle eyes (taking off my glasses, i have 'loupe vision' and can see way more inclusions from the top)

i would stick to VS2 and above if you want truly eye clean from all angles.

:))

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry, your post is not clear to me. Can you see inclusions in your main diamond or the smaller melee on the setting?

antelope1

Brilliant_Rock
I have an SI1 with a small feather suspended in the pavilion. I can see it from one angle, at 6 inches, from the side, and I know exactly where to look. But, I had a microscope and plot to help me find it the first time. I don't mind the inclusion as I always know that the diamond is "my" diamond, and it's totally invisible face up, and I'd challenge anyone to find it without the cert to help.

Do you keep your diamond clean? Like really really clean? Because dirt & lotion show a lot more than the inclusions (for me, at least)...as I polish my ring on my sleeve...

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My diamond is a I SI2 and from the side its scary looking, from the top I dont see much, but if I turn it a certain way I can see one fairly large inclusion from the top, straight on I cant see it..

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
at my age every stone becomes "eye clean"... :bigsmile:

Anon-E-Mouse

Rough_Rock
Trade
Dancing Fire|1292892892|2802249 said:
at my age every stone becomes "eye clean"... :bigsmile:

Yeah, I hear ya. :)

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a SI1 that I can only see the inclusion under the microscope.

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
It's an SI2- you're most likely going to be able to see inclusions from the side. It's hard enough to find SI2s that are eye clean face up. I had an eye clean SI2 but from the side I could definitely see the 4 main inclusions without a loupe. It was set in a halo setting so the sides didn't show so I didn't care.

As for seeing inclusions from the side in smaller diamonds it depends on the type of inclusion - black carbon spot, feather etc, and your eye site. But it is possible to see inclusions in smaller stones.

Edit: I just reread your post and I think I misread that you were asking about inclusions in very small diamonds.. Did you want to know if very small inclusions are visible to the naked eye? If so the above is still my answer- depends on the inclusion and your eye site but I have seen them.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
by "very small" and "very very small" do you mean VS and VVS clarity? you *may* see inclusions in some VS2 should not in any VS1 or VVS stones.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
If you are very picky I would say an SI2 is not the best choice. The inclusions have to be somewhere otherwise it would have gotten a higher clarity grade. Sometimes inclusions are reflected and 1 can look like several depending on the angle you are viewing it at.

tweep0

Rough_Rock
I can see two inclusions on my 2Ct SI1 stone if I look at it 6 inches from my face. I've asked other relatives to find them and they can't. I think i can even hide one with a prong. The other i only notice in certain lighting... again 6 inches from my face.

It kind of bothered me at first... but I realized that no one would find it unless they were specifically looking for inclusions. I'm happy with that! :)

vsc

Shiny_Rock
I am wondering if you're seeing the girdle reflection from the side and think it's an inclusion? Does it look like a big horizontal thing that is parallel to the table, maybe halfway down the pavillion?

tweep0

Rough_Rock
vsc|1292901597|2802410 said:
I am wondering if you're seeing the girdle reflection from the side and think it's an inclusion? Does it look like a big horizontal thing that is parallel to the table, maybe halfway down the pavillion?

Nope... it's definitely an inclusion. I have access to a 50x microscope at work and i've thoroughly examined the diamond multiple times. I've found those specific inclusions.

btw... diamonds look pretty ugly at 50x magnification. :)

antelope1

Brilliant_Rock
tweep0|1292902236|2802415 said:
btw... diamonds look pretty ugly at 50x magnification. :)

But it's so cool! It's like a little, personal universe inside your diamond -- well, my diamond at least. I think I prefer clouds and needles to crystals, for looking at under high power.

^^ And that's why I'd never go for an IF or FL diamond. :tongue:

tweep0

Rough_Rock
^ I agree... its very cool looking at diamonds under 50x. Diamonds are so busy up close. And i totally agree that having inclusions gives your diamond a fingerprint... makes it feel unique!

I wish i could take pictures to show everyone.

tannet

Shiny_Rock
I have to agree with tweep...my diamond also looked ugly under a microscope! LOL. Especially since it was sort of dirty from handling it with my bare hands. It is really cool to see it so clearly under such high magnification though!

vanderaf

Shiny_Rock
My e-ring is an SI-1 and I can't even find the inclusion under my 30x loupe. My diamond pendant (which I lost this past summer) was a VS-2 and I could see the inclusion. I prefer to not see any inclusions...

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have 3 SI1's -

I used to be able to see a very small inclusion from the side in the pavillion when my 0.51 RB was set in a mock-tension setting. Now that it is in a prong basket setting, I can't see the pavillion and it is eye clean from the top.

My 0.74RB has an inclusion near the edge that I can see if I look REALLY hard or use a loupe and study it for a minute, but is totally eye clean at half an arm's length for sure.

My 1.43 AVC has a feather and 2 needles, is totally eye clean from all angles, but I can find them with a loupe since I know where to look.

nr00

Rough_Rock
Thank you for answers. I was not familiar with the term "eye clean" before now, I would say it is certainly eye clean from the top view!

What I'm seeing is all these teensy weensy lines when I look at it from the side. I can also see a black fuzzy spot, also very small. If I view this from the bottom (very small space to view) I can see all of them and it looks filthy inside!

I told him and he said he never looked at it from the sides. The sides aren't entirely visible but if you're looking for it you'll see it...
The GIA pamphlet shows it has two "crystals" (one much larger than the other) and also has a both a long and short "needle."

Thing is, I have to fight to see anything I may even "think" is an inclusion from the top... But it bugs me they're there.
I decided to take a longer stroll through the "show me your bling!" thread (I think that's what its called) and saw more SI2's than I thought I'd see listed... And they looked gorgeous!

I guess I'm feeling like he chose it without entirely examining it. I am such a picky person. I like what some of you said about inclusions being a fingerprint/birthmark (I read this elsewhere also) but it bums me out a bit that it's soooo "speckled" with these inclusions... Looks worse than the pamphlet says. This jeweler is highly reputable too and only carries "good diamonds." so I wonder if he figured he didn't have to be too picky himself.

I know I may be obsessing a bit much on it but I really appreciate the replies!

MarkBroumand

Shiny_Rock
Trade
nr00|1293059936|2804119 said:
Thank you for answers. I was not familiar with the term "eye clean" before now, I would say it is certainly eye clean from the top view!

What I'm seeing is all these teensy weensy lines when I look at it from the side. I can also see a black fuzzy spot, also very small. If I view this from the bottom (very small space to view) I can see all of them and it looks filthy inside!

I told him and he said he never looked at it from the sides. The sides aren't entirely visible but if you're looking for it you'll see it...
The GIA pamphlet shows it has two "crystals" (one much larger than the other) and also has a both a long and short "needle."

Thing is, I have to fight to see anything I may even "think" is an inclusion from the top... But it bugs me they're there.
I decided to take a longer stroll through the "show me your bling!" thread (I think that's what its called) and saw more SI2's than I thought I'd see listed... And they looked gorgeous!

I guess I'm feeling like he chose it without entirely examining it. I am such a picky person. I like what some of you said about inclusions being a fingerprint/birthmark (I read this elsewhere also) but it bums me out a bit that it's soooo "speckled" with these inclusions... Looks worse than the pamphlet says. This jeweler is highly reputable too and only carries "good diamonds." so I wonder if he figured he didn't have to be too picky himself.

I know I may be obsessing a bit much on it but I really appreciate the replies!

The labs grade the stones from the top down, so that is where your main concern should be. If you have a SI2 that is eye-clean from the top, you found a great value stone.

Inclusions can be seen from the sides even in correctly graded VS stones.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MarkBroumand|1293061745|2804156 said:
The labs grade the stones from the top down, so that is where your main concern should be. If you have a SI2 that is eye-clean from the top, you found a great value stone.

I don't give a hoot what the labs do.
Nobody is going to tell me to not care about the side view.

I love tension settings so an eye-clean side view is as important to me as the face up view.

Picture 13.png

MarkBroumand

Shiny_Rock
Trade
kenny|1293064632|2804201 said:
MarkBroumand|1293061745|2804156 said:

I don't give a hoot what the labs do.
Nobody is going to tell me to not care about the side view.

I love tension settings so an eye-clean side view is as important to me as the face up view.

I was simply informing the OP how the labs grade the stones, for many people are unaware that they do only grade from the top down.

I was in no way telling anyone not to care about the side view.

The type of setting one chooses is definitely a big influencer upon the eye-cleanliness of a stone one also chooses, as we can see by your example.

This is a personal preference of course and everyone is entitled to set their own standards.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No problem. :wink2:

Yes, knowing clarity is graded top-down only lets people like me know we need to go up in clarity or cherry pick.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Question for those who know about clarity grading in the trade: where (or if?) in the process does someone eyeball the stone to judge if the through-the-loupe grading is reasonable?

The labs' websites make it very clear that all grading is done with a 10x loupe, and that all potential grade assignments - Very Very Slightly, Slightly Included, etc. are defined by visibility through a 10x loupe. We know that what is seen through the loupe does not necessarily correlate to visibility w/ the naked eye. But I have also read on PS that a stone with an inclusion under the table might be given a lower clarity grade than another stone with that inclusion under the crown, which implies that real-world visibility does have a part in the grading process..?

diva rose

Shiny_Rock
My diamonds are all VS2 and no I cannot see any marks on them.

I do want to purchase more diamonds for earrings and 5 stone band. Want to look at SI1 diamonds and purchase either from Brain Gavin or Whiteflash.

Is this possible to get SI1 that is eye clean on all sides and top view? Or should I be expecting some markings that will be noticed by the eye?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diva rose|1293076947|2804335 said:
My diamonds are all VS2 and no I cannot see any marks on them.

I do want to purchase more diamonds for earrings and 5 stone band. Want to look at SI1 diamonds and purchase either from Brain Gavin or Whiteflash.

Is this possible to get SI1 that is eye clean on all sides and top view? Or should I be expecting some markings that will be noticed by the eye?

What sizes are you looking at? You might find SI1 0.15-0.25caraters that are clean (or largely so) from the sides.. I think your odds in the 0.35-0.5ct range and larger quickly devolve.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results