shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all the Pregnant PS''ers

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
Allo

I'm just board hopping but I've not been around for a while and I thought I would check up to see if dear Noel had had her darling wee girl and lo and behold, Skye is here.

She's absolutely adorable and I love, love, love the name. Congratulations Noel, I wish you lots of happiness and a wonderful Christmas with you're beautiful daughter. Maybe one day you can visit the gorgeous isle of Skye here in bonnie Scotland with your adorable wee girl.

Po
xx

geri

Shiny_Rock
Lanie - Hope all is going well. How exciting!

LV - Congrats on reaching full term!!

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
tiffanytwisted|1292801503|2801260 said:
Blushing_B|1292734710|2800756 said:
Hi Ladies!!!

Had to jump on here to congratulate Skippy and DD (DD, I know you've been pregnant for a while now, but just have been so busy)!!!!

Skippy, take it from this twin mama...twins are AMAZING!!!! You'll have so much fun with them!!! Definitely TONS of work, but it's such a pleasure!

Speaking of twin mamas...Tiffany, I hope you are doing well! Did I read way back that you're having twin girls??? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm super excited for you too!!!!

I'm still new at this whole twin thing, but if either of you have any questions, please come find me in the newborn thread. I'll be back on as more of a regular once I head back to work part-time in January.

HI Blushing! You were almost right- I'm having twin boys!! I have been watching the newborn thread for you so I'll pay closer attention in January!

Ooops! Sorry Tiffany - a good friend of mine is due any day now with twin girls so, I may have had her on my mind. Soooooo happy for you and can't wait for the arrival of your little ones!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
tiffanytwisted|1292875154|2801953 said:
HOUMedGal|1292872197|2801900 said:
Hmmmm....I suspect it may be time for Lanie to push, because I have an appointment with the OB at 1:30 (we have the same OB) and I just got a phone call that it's OK if I'm a little late to my appointment because Dr. B had to go over to the hospital for a delivery!!! :naughty: :appl: :love: Lanie, I hope it's you and that you are getting to meet your little man very soon!!! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

How exciting!! It's almost as if we have a secret spy!

Hehee, I do feel like a secret spy!! Hope Lanie doesn't mind!!

Turns out my appointment had to be rescheduled for Wednesday because the doc ended up calling over to clinic to say that she had ANOTHER delivery to attend, so they just cancelled her entire afternoon (that was around 2 o'clock). So one of those ladies delivering this afternoon was bound to be Lanie! :bigsmile: It makes it a lot easier to be patient re: having to reschedule an appointment when you know that the doc is busy helping one of your friends!! hehe!

Lanie, I have been sending happy smooth labor/delivery thoughts to you all afternoon - can't wait to hear your story and see a pic of your handsome little man!!

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Wooo go Lanie!!!

LV - did you post about your hypnobirthing class? Sorry if I missed it! We don't have one here but I am taking a natural labor class and they recommend the book and CD so I was curious about your experience. Thanks for letting me know I am not alone on the milk! I agree re:restaurants and skim...anytime I find somewhere that has it its like finding gold! Although, I feel like 3 pint glasses sounds like kids play, haha.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Delurking to say *SQUEAL* Skippy I am thrilled to bits with your wonderful news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Twins! How exciting. Those babies will be the luckiest and most blessed to have you as a mummy.
I take it the trip to the Barrier Reef is now on the back burner?
Hugs to your Skippy
Kate in Ozxx

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Princess You look great :)

Tuckins Funnily enough I had the same feeling of having a boy - about a week before the scan I kept having dreams that I was having a little girl - I even fought myself in my dreams saying no it is a boy - turns out she is a girl LOL. Not long - like you I didn't care either way but I hoped for a little girl so sending you dust for an awesome ultra sound :).

Lanie You are hilarious :) - posting on PS while in labour - LOVE IT *giggle* I am sure you have had your little bubba boy by now - so hoping your enjoying this special time and can't wait to see the pics :) thanks Hou for the updates :) - if all is as said sounds like a nice short labour :)

Off the ob tomorrow - had a dentist appointment the other day - couldn't see the cavity and it just barely start being a niggle pain you know that hrmm maybe I have a cavity pain (apparently it was behind the tooth) but I need a root canal WTF *YAY sense sarcasm* so I have a temp filling - must remember to ask the ob about root canals while pregnant as I do not want this temp filling coming out at an un-opportune moment plus it feels like crap URGH.

Got my GD tests back silly women at the blood test office had me convinced cause I ate lunch that I would fail the test :rolleyes: all normal YAY one less thing to worry about :)

Hope your all well from me and the wiggly one - not long till chrissie now :o scurrry :)

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Ouch, my BOOOOOBS!!!!!!! Just had to complain to someone... :rodent:

random_thought

Brilliant_Rock
I finally felt the baby move last night!! It really does feel like a little fish swimming around in there!!! It was so surreal! I stayed awake for about 2 hours trying to get the baby to move around some more :)

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
GOOD LUCK LANIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ooohhhhh!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

And CONGRATS to THE MOST BEAUTIFUL PS-ER EVER... SKIPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:
Twins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow, so happy for you and your DH! Two tremendous blessings!!!!!!!!!!

Hello everyone! Sorry I have been MIA. Would you believe I have morning sickness off and on even into my 37th week? Oof!
Luvinlife - hello! I love how you call your precious baby a little belly dancer! RT, isn't it so cool???

We're doing well... I'm in a last minute search for a spectacular doula since DH is insisting upon having one after all of his colleagues recommended having one. :rolleyes: I don't know why we'd need the extra support since we're flying my mom in as well. We did our hospital tour and found out that our hospital charges $850 a night for a private room, which is interesting/nutty! Is that a NY thing? We're going to spring for the privacy because I don't like the idea of a stranger and random family members popping into my room or having to share a bathroom. I'm actually getting nervous and increasingly excited about the birth, too! Last night DH and I whispered in bed that we'd always remember the times when it was just the two of us. I'm kind of sad that I won't be able to sleep 10 hours a night anymore...ever...again. It's a poignant time to say goodbye to our old life and get excited for the new one awaiting us!

Sending you all super awesome baking dust and good luck fairy powder for those of us close to delivery!!!!!!
For the ladies who started this amazing journey around last October/November... I can't believe how different things are this year. And it's incredible to imagine that we don't have much longer now. Life is just so miraculous! If you would have told me last year we'd all be about to welcome little babies into the world around this time, I would have laughed and laughed in joy!

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Skippy, congratulations times two!!! Fantastic news!!!!!

Bliss, I do believe paying for a private room is a NYC thing. There is such overcrowding in our hospitals that a private room truly is a luxury so of course they make you pay for one!! I delivered way uptown at NY Presbyterian/Columbia. I requested a private room in advance and then when it came time to "check in", I gave them my credit card info and once again told them I wanted a private post partum room. Fortunately, they were able to accommodate me with both of my deliveries. The good part was that it was a flat rate--$400 whether you were there 2 nights or 20 nights! So it actually wasn't so bad. I know at Cornell you can even get a suite (like a hotel)but you do have to pay by the night and it's pretty pricey. Can't believe you're already 37 weeks--so excited to meet your little one!!

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
curlygirl!!!!! How are you doing, pretty mama? Thanks for the info!!!! I couldn't believe it at first because I always assumed that new moms would have private rooms. I hear post partum one is most likely dripping fluid and quite messy so I can't imagine sharing a bathroom with someone who was also going through that, too. Also, with the new baby there - I wouldn't want strangers going in and out of the room bringing germs and etc. They mentioned in the hospital tour that during the swine flu outbreak they had to cut down on all the visitors coming into the shared rooms because it spread the illness around.

You delivered at a great hospital! $400 flat rate is fabulous! I think ours is $850 a night so probably $1700 for 2 nights. DH says it is totally worth it but gosh, I just assumed it was a given that we'd be in private rooms. For that rate, I'd just as rather stay at the St. Regis! Hahahaha. At least their room service is better! I think it's a shame in general that they make new moms pay for private rooms. What happens if you can't afford it? I just think it should be a given so that everyone can have the rest and privacy they need in those moments as a new mommy.

bissa

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for the warm welcome ladies!! I have been busy, so I haven't been able to check in as often as I'd like.

I have been checking since this morning to see if Lanie posted anything since yesterday! I am dying to see some more newborn pics!

I can't remember what else I was going to type. My brain is mush this week.

Good luck to everyone who is getting close!! So exciting!

AFM, I am 16 weeks today and we have the gender scan scheduled for Thursday! I thought I would have to beg my Dr to get it done before Christmas, but she actually offered! I just hope the little booger cooperates! Friends have told me to have some soda or juice to get him or her moving around. We haven't told anyone that we're having it done and plan to surprise our families on Christmas morning with pics in either blue or pink frames! Wish us luck!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Miscka|1292898167|2802363 said:
LV - did you post about your hypnobirthing class? Sorry if I missed it! We don't have one here but I am taking a natural labor class and they recommend the book and CD so I was curious about your experience. Thanks for letting me know I am not alone on the milk! I agree re:restaurants and skim...anytime I find somewhere that has it its like finding gold! Although, I feel like 3 pint glasses sounds like kids play, haha.

Miscka - I don't think I posted in great detail about the class, just that I took it. Which book and CD did they recommend? There are two main hypnobirthing classes that I am aware of -- one is the Mongan method http://www.hypnobirthing.com/, which is what I took, and the other is Hynobabies http://www.hypnobabies.com/. I'm not familiar with hypnobabies.

The hypnobirthing is really just self-guided meditation intended to bring the birthing mom into intense, deep relaxation, which is supposed to make birthing much easier. If our muscles are relaxed and not tense, and we don't push, but allow our babies to ease downward, then birthing is supposed to be very easy. I will let you know how that works out for me in about 20 days, give or take a few. ;)) I believe that it will help me have the natural birth that I want. I believe that having the doula there will be invaluable so she can keep me on track with breathing if I go astray. I'm also very aware that things may not go as planned.

I did enjoy the book. The cds are ok. I mostly listen to the birthing affirmations, but not every night as I should. One of the cds is called Rainbow Relaxation -- which starts as a progressive relaxation/breathing exercise. I do not like it so much because I find it is very out of sync with my own breathing. I can extend my breathing much longer than she allows for on the tape, so I find it very distracting.

Were you thinking of having a doula? Maybe you can find one with hypnobirthing experience if it's something you think you might like? There might also be a private hypnobirthing instructor in your area.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi girls! Here's baby Luke's birth story as promised!

I had a very easy labor in my opinion! I was due 12/12. On Thursday night around 10pm, 12/9, I was lying on the couch and started to feel AF like cramps, only a bit stronger. TMI but I got up to pee, and noticed a bit of pink CM on the toilet paper. At first I was a bit alarmed because I didn't have any bleeding whatsoever the entire pregnancy. Then it hit me--it was probably the infamous "bloody show"! Duh. I had period like cramps on and off for the next couple of hours. I was so excited and running on adrenaline that I didn't actually lie down to go to bed until 4am! :rolleyes: I was running around the house doing a bunch of stuff--nesting like crazy. The urge to do a bunch of last minute housekeeping was very strong. I woke up at 6 am Friday 12/10 with a contraction. I started timing them and they were coming every 9-10 minutes apart. They were definitely a bit painful. When each one hit, I would sort of roll into a fetal ball and try to breathe through them. I told DH he was not going to work today, that I thought we were having a baby that day! I think he was a bit skeptical but I didn't have any doubts that this was it. DH called in to work around 8am. At that point, the contractions were coming every minute! I told DH that this was NOT the way the books said it would happen--that contractions weren't supposed to come on that fast and that quick. I was supposed to be getting a break in between contractions, but these just kept hitting with no gap for me to relax and catch my breath. They were very painful. When each one hit, I was on my knees with my head sort of down and resting on the floor. Finally, I realized that I should call my midwife. They told me I could come in and get checked out (do an internal) but they didn't sound overly excited or concerned.

By this time, I was very much in pain. I had DH running around like a mad man packing a few last minute things in my hospital bag, because I never finished packing! I was very crabby and I was snapping at DH for not going fast enough, poor guy. When we were finally ready to go, I was in so much pain from the endless contractions that I told DH I wanted to go straight to the hospital and not waste any time going to the midwife's office.

So we drove to the hospital and went to the ER entrance which is where they told us to go. A guy came out to get me with a wheel chair, and wheeled me up to L&D. I was told to get into a gown and they proceeded to check me--I was dilated 4 cm already! This was real labor! Long story short, I was in so much pain from these darn contractions that kept coming every 50-60 seconds that I begged for an epidural. My plan for a natural, med-free labor went right out the window, and guess what? I didn't give a rat's behind! :lol: They told me that before they could give me the epidural, I had to wait for the IV bag they gave me to be completely be drained. It was torture waiting. I was lying on my side in the hospital bed moaning and holding on to the bed rail through each contraction.

Finally, the epidural could be administered and let me tell you, it was absolute BLISS!!! :D My pain was totally gone, and while I could still tell when I was having contractions, they just felt like tightening across my stomach and a lot of pressure in my booty. No pain whatsoever. They checked me again a few hours later, and I had gone from 4 cm to 9cm! One hour later, I was at 10cm! My midwife doesn't like to have patients start pushing right away though--she prefers to let the baby labor down on his own for as much as possible. So I just layed around in the bed. DH, my mom, and dad were in the room and we were all chatting and watching Jeopardy on TV. FINALLY, the midwife came back in after one more hour of 'laboring down' and said, "Let's have a baby!" It was time to push!!!

Because my legs were pretty numb, we had to put them in the leg stirrups. The midwife told me that every time there was a contraction, I was to push for as much as I could while counting to 10. After the first push, they could already see the back of the baby's head--the midwife said "Your baby has a lot of hair!" and I promptly started crying. It was such an emotional moment. Then she asked me if I wanted to see a mirror so I could watch--I said sure. It was CRAZY when I first looked at the mirror; I was SO swollen. I saw the baby's head and that gave me extra motivation. Three more pushes for a count of 10, and the baby was out! The midwife told DH to announce the sex. We were both looking at the baby, trying to tell what he/she was. Suddenly, the baby moved his legs and hello junk shot! DH said with so much emotion and excitement in his voice, "It's a BOYYYY!" I will never forget that moment. They placed him on my chest wrapped in a towel and I was crying and staring at him. He was perfect--the worry with the NT scan and the 1:800 odds for Down syndrome was all for nothing. It was truly one of the most special and incredible moments of my entire life. The entire moment is permanently etched on my heart and I wish I could re-live it over and over.

Total time from when I was admitted into the hospital and when Luke was born was just 10 hours! :) A very easy labor with minimal tearing.

I have no regrets that I didn't have a natural, med-free labor. The epidural was a Godsend. I kept exclaiming to DH and my parents, "Thank God for modern medicine" once it was put in, lol. :) Everyone has different pain thresholds. I might just be a wimp, but I can't imagine doing it naturally. I give major props to ladies who have!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And for making it through Luke's birth story, here's a shot of him at 9 days old.

Breastfeeding is going great now--he has a good latch and instinctively knows what to do. Before my milk came in, it was a bit rough because I don't think he was getting enough colostrom and he was very hungry, but now it's much better. For those moms who want to bf, I'd say stick it out even if it's rough at first in the hospital! It usually does get better!

Best of luck to all the mamas who are about to deliver!!! It truly is an amazing and heart-melting experience, getting to meet your child for the very first time!

Luke 9 days.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Bliss|1292962990|2803088 said:
curlygirl!!!!! How are you doing, pretty mama? Thanks for the info!!!! I couldn't believe it at first because I always assumed that new moms would have private rooms. I hear post partum one is most likely dripping fluid and quite messy so I can't imagine sharing a bathroom with someone who was also going through that, too. Also, with the new baby there - I wouldn't want strangers going in and out of the room bringing germs and etc. They mentioned in the hospital tour that during the swine flu outbreak they had to cut down on all the visitors coming into the shared rooms because it spread the illness around.

You delivered at a great hospital! $400 flat rate is fabulous! I think ours is $850 a night so probably $1700 for 2 nights. DH says it is totally worth it but gosh, I just assumed it was a given that we'd be in private rooms. For that rate, I'd just as rather stay at the St. Regis! Hahahaha. At least their room service is better! I think it's a shame in general that they make new moms pay for private rooms. What happens if you can't afford it? I just think it should be a given so that everyone can have the rest and privacy they need in those moments as a new mommy.

Here it's usually 3 or 4 to a room - hence the strict rules about visiting hours and no more than 2 visitors at a time. It's a bit of a nightmare as it's mandatory rooming-in so you get zero sleep. However most people are out within 48 hours max and those with normal deliveries in the low risk part of the birth unit just stay in the delivery room till the go home - normally between 5 and 12 hours. My hospital had 4 single rooms which are reserved for people with infectious diseases or special needs or if their baby is in NICU - there is a separate department for mothers of still-born or neo-natal death babies.

I was lucky and got one of the singles as Daisy was opiate dependant and needed dark and quiet, and we were there for a week.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Laila - Luke is just adorable and I don't blame you for getting the epidural, they are just the best thing ever! Great birth story!

I don't have a first moment like that which I'm very sad about, but the moments later in ICU when DH had gone home and I finally had the chance to properly look at her and count her fingers etc was very special and at night when I'm lying in bed next to her, the feel of her silky hair on my cheek brings it all back every time. They are very special moments...

bissa

Rough_Rock
Laila- what an amazing birth story!! Congrats on your gorgeous boy!! I want to try for a natural birth, but I'm sure I'll be screaming for the epi the first chance I get. :lol:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Pandora and bissa! One thing I forgot to mention in my birth story is to EAT SOMETHING (ideally with protein) if you can before you go in. I had two bites of a muffin before DH and I left for the hospital. Once I was admitted, NO food or water was allowed. I could only have ice chips. I was absolutely starving and begging for food, but they won't allow it in case an emergency C section is needed. DH got me Burger King a few hours after Luke was born, and I was never so happy to pig out. :) I totally understand the reason for the rule, but I wished I would have had something more substantial before labor.

Pandora|1292973831|2803268 said:
I don't have a first moment like that which I'm very sad about, but the moments later in ICU when DH had gone home and I finally had the chance to properly look at her and count her fingers etc was very special and at night when I'm lying in bed next to her, the feel of her silky hair on my cheek brings it all back every time. They are very special moments...

Awwww, how sweet Pan!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laila, Congrats, Luke is beautiful!!!!! :appl: :appl:

Bliss and LovesVintage, woohooo for being so close; yay for 37 weeks!! Thanks for the info on the doula LV; my sis had one for both her births and loved how attentive and helpful the doula was but I was curious if others were going to have one. I will check out your link too! Bliss, boo to being charged for your own room; it would be hard to share a room.

Deelight, oh no, to the root canal,sorry. Yay for seeing the OB tomorrow! I had my OB today but they only did the doppler for me to hear the heartbeats, but that was fun, so US only 1x a mo for me. Can't wait to hear about tomorrow!

Thank you Bliss, Curlygirl and Katebar!! xo

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats, Laila!!!!!!

LV - I have looked at both methods, but was going to read the Morgan method book and I had heard of the rainbow relaxation CD. Is there one in particular you like better? I considered a doula but DH is not super-comfy with it and we just can't justify the extra expense tbh. We used to have a class here but the instructor became an RN. I can't wait to hear how it all goes for you!!

puffy

Brilliant_Rock
congrats laila!! luke is such a handsome baby!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Tuckins :( I felt your pain - what helped me was getting new bras - the old ones were just not supportive enough or big enough hope the pain goes away soon

RT How awesome is that - you will soon feel bubba move heaps it is one of the best feelings :)

Bliss 37 wks congrats on full term YAY that is a reason to celebrate :).

I agree the extra money is worth it for a private room if you can swing it :) I am in Australia but I have private health insurance and going private for delivery so I will get a private room as well - with insurance it will cost me $250 dollars no matter how long I stay but fr a vag birth it is genenerally 4 nights if I went to a public hospital I would likely be sharing with other new mum's as well - I think it will just be easier especially when everything is all new

Good luck can't wait to see pics of your little girl :)

Bissa Good luck with the scan hope you get some fantastic pics :)

LV Thanks for posting those links - I don't know much about hypno birthing but it sounds interesting - will have to read up :)

Laila First of all - Luke is just a cutie look at all that hair and his beautiful little face :love: he looks like such a serene baby congrats :):):) and thanks for sharing your birth story :)

Skippy WOW an ultrasound every month - that is awesome lucky girl - I have had 3 but hearing the heartbeat is great it just makes you that much more reassured :)

Ob appointment went well today - mine was not there so I saw the locum he was nice however had stronger opinions about what is right and wrong with certain things when it came to pregnancy and labour whereas my ob is more laid back with the what works approach.

He showed me how to feel for her head :o - turns out she is pointing down and should stay like that :o - seems like she is getting ready for her eventual debut LOL

Got okayed for the root canal now I just have to work up the courage to get it done *eeek*

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila!!!! Thank you for posting your birth story and a pic of your little Luke (really loving his name!) I know this could sound weird, but I am SO PROUD OF YOU!!! It's just been such a long journey, Laila, and I feel like we were with each other along the way, and now *WOW* look at the prize at the end!! :appl: :appl: You are so funny that you were up til 4 am cleaning! My husband asks me every day if I feel the need to tidy up. :lol: Hope to see you in the newborn thread soon! :wavey:

Skippy, Glad to hear your sister had such a positive doula experience. Yay you for getting 1 u/s per month!

Miscka, The book comes with the Rainbow Relaxation CD. The first part of the CD is the Birthing Affirmations (which I like), and the second half is the Rainbow Relaxation, which guides you into relaxation with deep breathing starting at the face and down to your toes. There is also some guided imagery "rainbow" stuff at the end, but I am usually asleep by that point (which is a very good thing, I think!) We did get a second cd in our class (which they don't seem to sell on their site), but I haven't used it very much. It also has two sessions -- one is for mom and her partner. I've never listened to that one through. I might listen to it tonight to see what I've been missing. Everyone is different though. Some people like the Rainbow Relaxation more than the affirmations. If you do decide to get the book, then I'd definitely get the cd too. They recommend playing the cd in the birthing room. At my hospital, I have to bring my own CD player and batteries, since all outlets in the room are designated for hospital machines. Just another thing to pack in the hospital bag! Also, try ebay for the book and confirm seller has cd included as well.

Re: a doula, my dh was slightly resistant at first, but I think he is really looking forward to having someone else there with experience who can help me. He knows that it will take a lot of the pressure off of him, and for that he seems quite happy! I am not easiest girl to deal with at times! :saint: Not sure how much doulas are in your area, but mine is charging $400, which seems quite reasonable considering she will come to our house before we leave for the hospital (if timing works out that way), stay for the birth and come visit again about a week after baby arrives. Everyone's situation is different (esp'ly with how much insurance is paying for the birth and hospital, etc.), but just thought I'd throw that out there in case you thought they charged a lot more.

Deelight, Yay for baby facing downward already! Sorry about the root canal. I had one years ago, and it was ok. Not as bad as it sounds, but definitely not fun while you're preggo!

Leaving for my weekly appointment soon! I'll post if anything interesting happens. Haha.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to say that I think the food/drink in labour thing is hospital dependant - we were allowed whatever we wanted, I ate huge numbers of Mars ice-cream bars and the first thing the midwife did after I was admitted was to ask what I wanted to order for dinner (I ended up with ham & cheese sandwiches!)- DH also brought sushi into ICU for me after she was born!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm back!!! 1 cm!!! Hee.hee.heeeeeee. The dr said that I'm not going into labor anytime soon, but she sees the 1cm as my body starting to prepare, so she does not think I will need to be induced. I'm very happy with that, and quite pleased with my little 1cm!!!

Pandora, Mars ice-cream bars!!!!!!!!!! Yum!! At my hosp, they also say no food, but my doula says to bring some in anyway. She's never seen the nurses take food away . . . so, we'll try to bring in some snacks!

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
Laila - yes, I know the holding-bed-rail position! I was doing that while groaning to get through the "urge to poo" contraction feeling.

regarding eating during labor, I had brunch right after they put my epidural in (which was 11am). birth was at 5pm. and I ate again pretty much right after they finished with the stitches (which was 6:30pm) and then I had a shower at 7pm.

all other women who had epidurals say they couldn't feel their legs or didn't have strength in them. my legs were slightly numb and tingly, but I could move them just fine. hmmm... feel like they short-changed me on the epidural. oh well, that's the past.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I snuck food in and ate it a little in the beginning, though I had no apetite once labour really started interestingly enough. The rule about not eating is to avoid the possibility of aspiration on vomit in the event that you need to be put under for an emergency c-section. Since doctors know how to deal with that scenerio, and it is rather unlikely, it seems ridiculous to me to deprive women of food during labour. Midwives allow you to eat as you wish when you labour at home.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
noelwr|1293038837|2803765 said:
Laila - yes, I know the holding-bed-rail position! I was doing that while groaning to get through the "urge to poo" contraction feeling.

regarding eating during labor, I had brunch right after they put my epidural in (which was 11am). birth was at 5pm. and I ate again pretty much right after they finished with the stitches (which was 6:30pm) and then I had a shower at 7pm.

all other women who had epidurals say they couldn't feel their legs or didn't have strength in them. my legs were slightly numb and tingly, but I could move them just fine. hmmm... feel like they short-changed me on the epidural. oh well, that's the past.

Noelwr - I had a 'mobile epidural' which meant that I could have walked around with it ( although as I was also on pitocin and hooked up to monitors I wasn't personally allowed to) and I could still feel my legs and feet. Even when they whacked it way up for the forceps I could still feel my lower legs. So you may have had one more like that than a total block.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results