shape
carat
color
clarity

What's your favorite type of dog & why did you choose it?

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Re: What's your favorite type of dog & why did you choose it

A Shih Tzu! We adopted a 9 year old Shih Tzu and she is just the cutest! We'll probably get another Shih Tzu after this. Either a puppy or another rescue. Sophia is low allergy, which is essential for our son who had a dog and cat allergy. Basically no shedding, small poops :devil: , so loyal, and a GREAT family dog!

I have to attach a picture of Sophia. DH calls her my 4 th baby, haha!

Sophia haircut 1.JPG

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock

Sophia is adorable. My inlaws have one. They list a positive that you forgot: they are great for travel! I like theirs a lot because it is very quiet.

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock

I love small dog breeds. Here are my mini poodles.

IMG_0829.JPG

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock

I really wanted a chihuahua, but have terrible allergies. My next dog would probably be a Chinese Crested or another poodle. They are so much fun and so smart. I swear they understand every word I say to them.

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock

Everyone hasd such cute dogs...we have 2 both rescue/shelter one is a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling retreiver...and the other is a smooth collie...they have such different personalities...they get along great together...

Violet3 your dog Rhonda may be part Nova Scotia Duck Toller... the white patch may me think of it...

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock

darby%20and%20maddy.jpg

The Collie is much bigger now...but still as cute...:)

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium

diane5006|1292820499|2801476 said:
Everyone hasd such cute dogs...we have 2 both rescue/shelter one is a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling retreiver...and the other is a smooth collie...they have such different personalities...they get along great together...

Violet3 your dog Rhonda may be part Nova Scotia Duck Toller... the white patch may me think of it...[/quote]

I LOVE Duck Tolling Retrievers!!!! it's so interesting that you posted this -- I hope Rhonda is part duck toller! when I was first looking at dogs, Duck Tolling Retriever was one of my top choices. It was pretty hard to find breeders for them, but i loved the size and the personality of them. Where is yours from? (i know you said he/she was a rescue) Gorgeous dogs, both of them!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Greyhounds!!! They are my heart dogs. They are all very, very sweet dogs and so graceful and lovely. Perfect for apartments and big homes alike. They are an easy dog to have, funny, charming, sweet. Love them! Of course, I do love all dogs, but before I had my first dog (when I was 100% a cat person), I would always stop people walking greyhounds so I could say hi to their greys. Of course, I do the same thing today, just with much more enthusiasm!! Actually, if I am out walking, I will stop to say hi to most every dog that passes me by, but for a greyhound, I'd stop my car and pull over! :twirl: Anywho, greyhounds are also an easy dog to convert to from cats because greyhounds sleep A LOT! So, now I'm a cat and a greyhound person, with a little beagle mix thrown in too!

TheDoctor, Goodness! Thank you for posting those pics! Louis looks like quite a character!! I've always wanted a standard poodle too! One day, we'll have a black standard poodle alongside some greyhounds! So gorgeous!

Zoe, If you have your heart set on a Havanese and your DH wants a shelter dog, a happy medium might be to keep an eye on shelters near you. Purebreds wind up in shelters all.the.time. This one is listed as a Havanese mix. Not sure that there really is any Havanese in this dog, but keeping an eye out on petfinder.com is a good way to pass the time too, while you're deciding what you want to do. :bigsmile: http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/18177568 Oh, I see they want her in a home with another dog, so probably not the ideal dog for you, but just an example of who's out there.

ETA: I wanted to post some pics of one of my greyhounds. He passed two years ago from bone cancer. He was much too young. He had a very successful racing career before he came to me. He was an absolutely gorgeous dog. Everyone he met said so. And, I loved him with all my heart. And, he loved me too. I know that. :))

Butch is Stunning 123.JPG

Butch profile.jpg

CUSO

Shiny_Rock

RIP Rock, 13 of the best years of my life..

bubba%202.jpg

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock

Violet...

Darby (he) is such a great dog...we got him in Lousiana at a shelter there...and we did not know what breed he was at the time...they has a litter that were like him but he was the only one left at the time...the first vet thought he was part Aussie...but he was just a puppy then...I had seen the Duck tollers on a dog show and that is when I realized thats what he was (mostly)...he has a great temperment he is so laid back compared to the collie...he likes the water and one of the first time we took him on a walk to the pond near our house he ran down and splashed in the water...he swims too...but likes splashing more... :cheeky:

Duck tollers seem to have a distinct color...like it is darker than a dark golden, but not as red as Irish Setter...ours has light eyes and pink nose...our guy is 45-50lbs...they seem (to me) to be shorter but broader in the chest than goldens...they also have the white on the chest...that what made me think that Rhonda might be on (or part) too...

diane 001_3.jpg

He is still pretty young here...

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock

Why is the mat on his back? I think this so so interesting about him liking to splash. My standard poodle is the same way. The retrievers (Such as standard poodles) that prefer shallow water like that are bred to get the game from the shallow water. Poodles have too narrow of a chest and are not large enough to go into the water like a big labrador. Your breed must be similar? His head is not a big block like a lab's head. You can see the intelligence in the dog's face, huh? (p.s. I love your avatar.)

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock

When he was younger he used to like to get under the mats and/or wrap himslef in a blanket...he does not do it as much now...the mat he has on in the picture...was a mat I had bought for the cats for their litter box...he dragged it outside an was trying to make a tent out of it

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

Cute pics everyone!

LV -- Thank you so much for the link and the advice of keeping an eye on local shelters! We'll do that. It would be a good compromise. Cassie is ADORABLE! I noticed the note about her needing to go to a family with another dog, so she wouldn't be the right fit for us. I appreciate the link though! It's funny, I've never heard of the town she's in, and I'm not far from MA.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results