shape
carat
color
clarity

Help to choose between two AVCs

InnaR

Shiny_Rock
So here is the update. I did call GOG yesterday and got to talk to Jon. He was very sweet and I enjoyed the little background and the overview of the AVCs. He assured me that this is the very nice stone an it's ready to be shipped.
I receive it today and will try now to discribe my impression with it:
It's a nice stone, but it looks much more yellow than .82 L AVC that I have. The yellow is more pronounced not just in the face up position, but the body color itself looks more yellow. The .82 L doesn’t look really warm, but rather has steely look in some lighting conditions. The 1.25 L looks yellow in almost all lighting conditions. I don’t know if the reason is the cut, the larger size or it maybe it’s a “much lower L” than 0.82 L.
I was looking forward for keeping it and returning the .82 L, but I’m going to return the 1.25 L. Maybe it's a good lesson for me not to go lower than K in a larger size diamond. I am going to keep looking for an ideal one.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
InnaR|1291659255|2788979 said:
I have an .82 L AVC now (with medium flour). The color doens't bother me at all, but again it's only .82. So I expect the color to be more obvious in the larger stone.
I would be delighted to get an E though. I put all three of them on hold and will wait for tomorrow when GOG opens so they can compare all three of them and maybe suggest on the best performer.

great idea. I think that AVC stones are gorgeous....they also suit lower colors, where I think that some other cuts do not pull off the lower color grades well at all.

Tue point... your .82 L with medium flouro will look whiter than the new L- and probably the K- and most definitely the M stone youposted. It is substantially smaller in carat weight, so the other stones will look more tinted and yellow for that reason, as well as the fact that the medium flouro is masking some color. Something to think about.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
InnaR|1291853824|2791531 said:
So here is the update. I did call GOG yesterday and got to talk to Jon. He was very sweet and I enjoyed the little background and the overview of the AVCs. He assured me that this is the very nice stone an it's ready to be shipped.
I receive it today and will try now to discribe my impression with it:
It's a nice stone, but it looks much more yellow than .82 L AVC that I have. The yellow is more pronounced not just in the face up position, but the body color itself looks more yellow. The .82 L doesn’t look really warm, but rather has steely look in some lighting conditions. The 1.25 L looks yellow in almost all lighting conditions. I don’t know if the reason is the cut, the larger size or it maybe it’s a “much lower L” than 0.82 L.
I was looking forward for keeping it and returning the .82 L, but I’m going to return the 1.25 L. Maybe it's a good lesson for me not to go lower than K in a larger size diamond. I am going to keep looking for an ideal one.

I think this happened for many reasons...
1. your .82 L is much smaller, therefore the L color is less pronounced, as you get bigger- esp. in fancy cut stones, the color tends to show more...

2. It may be "lower" in the L range of your .82 L....

3 The medium flouro of your .82 L is masking some of the tint/body color making it look even less yellow.

I agree- keep looking for your ideal- dont' settle! :bigsmile:

ErinnM34

Rough_Rock
Inna, have you revisited the idea of the E you had your eye on earlier? It's dimensions are a bit bigger than the L you had shipped to you, and a much higher color.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7442/

InnaR

Shiny_Rock
Erin,
We bought the house today, so anything above $4000 - $5000 would be out of my comfort zone at this point of time. It's a beautiful stone, and I hope one day to have something similar. At this point of time I would happy to settle with something in 1.0 - 1.2, G-K range.
AmysBling,
I am also a true fan of AVCs. I wear a .82 L instead of my 2.25 J round from Whiteflash and this little thing makes me so happy. I agree that any of the the things you listed can be a reason for stone to look yellow.
Antelope1 and ChunckyChushinLover both noticed some leakage under the table. Maybe that added to extra tint, but it still wouldn't explain more pronounced body color.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
InnaR|1291856703|2791593 said:
Erin,
We bought the house today, so anything above $4000 - $5000 would be out of my comfort zone at this point of time. It's a beautiful stone, and I hope one day to have something similar. At this point of time I would happy to settle with something in 1.0 - 1.2, G-K range.
AmysBling,
I am also a true fan of AVCs. I wear a .82 L instead of my 2.25 J round from Whiteflash and this little thing makes me so happy. I agree that any of the the things you listed can be a reason for stone to look yellow.
Antelope1 and ChunckyChushinLover both noticed some leakage under the table. Maybe that added to extra tint, but it still wouldn't explain more pronounced body color.

congrats on the house!

InnaR

Shiny_Rock
Erin,
Thank you for you suggestions. I am sending the stone back to GOG today. I'll ask Jon to look at all three Js and suggest on the best performer. I like the shape of the first one.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results