shape
carat
color
clarity

Help: custom engagement ring

tb2588

Rough_Rock
Hi, I'm a young guy, new to the world of jewelry and particularly, engagement rings.

I've found a designer three-stone trellis ring that I like a lot, and have been talking to some jewelers about getting it made in 14K white gold. One jeweler works with a manufacturer who would have to carve a new wax model of the ring, then cast it in gold. Another jeweler said he can buy the parts for the ring and build it himself. This is significantly cheaper to do.

Can someone help me figure out the pros/cons of these two types of ring construction? I presumed the second jeweler must buy the parts and solder them together? Does that lead to a significantly weaker piece than the one that is cast as one piece?

Thanks for the advice.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I imagine that the first guy has to charge a lot more because of the time necessary for carving the wax. I don't think you will have problems with any of the two methods (even though the second will have additional soldering), so I would go with the artisan who has the best finish and setting technique.

How large and what shape is your stone? You should be able to find a setting or semi-mount that fits it in most catalogues (such as Stuller), which a jeweller can order and set your stone. If you are on a budget, you can also check some good ebay sellers (the Coloured Stone forum has many wonderful examples that look very good and weren't expensive at all).

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This stock Stuller semi-mount is fairly similar to the WF version, and I'd think the 1 ct tw size would accommodate your stones... and since it's all one piece, it would probably be a cost-effective alternative.
http://www.stuller.com/products/120981/298843/?groupId=5063

Your local jeweler would have to order the semi-mount from Stuller, but there'd just be the stone-setting charges in addition to the cost of the Stuller mount - this should be far less than the costs associated with wax-model-building or having to solder different parts together.

Niclaire

Rough_Rock
I want buy engagement ring please suggest me which type of ring i can buy...........

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results