shape
carat
color
clarity

Need winter vacation advise: NYC vs S Padre Island

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
So my DH's B-day is about 2 months away. We were planning on taking a long weekend trip to SF. Well, last weekend he said to me he feels like we have done SF a lot lately (3x in the last year) and would like to go somewhere else. He suggested NYC or South Padre Island in Texas. I am trying to figure out what would be better.

NYC: Pros: We both love that city and have not been in several years. He used to live there and I am sure would want to show me some cool places. We would both enjoy the shopping, restaurants. Cons: It would be cold, expensive, and further than South Padre.

South Padre: I have never been there. Just checked out the website. Pros: We have never been, and we like to see new places. Looks like a fun outdoors kind of place. Located in the same state we live in. Cons: They advertise themselves as kind of an island experience, but the weather averages in the 50's that time of year. Unsure of cost, but I am guessing it would be cheeper than NYC.

I know very little about S Padre, so if anyone can share there experience to help me figure out what I should do I would really appreciate that. Any advise about New York in the winter would be awesome as well.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
I have been to SPI a few times for New Years Eve. You will not be able to wear warm weather clothes, and the wind on the beach will be crazy not to mention pretty darn cold at night. It is nice to stay for a night, maybe two, but honestly, after that, you will be bored. I would save SPI for a summer trip, when it is warm. (Even for Spring Break in March it isn't that warm.)

I would go to NYC. My DH and I are talking about going. He has been in the winter before, but I have not, and would love to see it. There is so much to do, as opposed to going to a beach, where you can't even enjoy the beach.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
meresal|1291259739|2784786 said:
I have been to SPI a few times for New Years Eve. You will not be able to wear warm weather clothes, and the wind on the beach will be crazy not to mention pretty darn cold at night. It is nice to stay for a night, maybe two, but honestly, after that, you will be bored. I would save SPI for a summer trip, when it is warm. (Even for Spring Break in March it isn't that warm.)

I would go to NYC. My DH and I are talking about going. He has been in the winter before, but I have not, and would love to see it. There is so much to do, as opposed to going to a beach, where you can't even enjoy the beach.

Thanks, that is the feeling I was getting from reading the website. But of course it was a tourism website, so they were playing things up. I have been to NYC in the winter, and I can handle it. I still have my east coast clothes I can dig out of storage.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
The Florida Keys are still pretty warm in December, have you been there? It will probably be in the '70's during the day, '60's at night.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1291260475|2784800 said:
The Florida Keys are still pretty warm in December, have you been there? It will probably be in the '70's during the day, '60's at night.

Yes, Key Wast was one of our favorite trips. I do want to go back someday. The trip will be short (4-5 days) and last time we flew into Miami and than drove to the island. I am concerned that would take up too much time on a shorter trip. I was thinking Miami, but honestly, we did not have as much fun there as we did the Keys.

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
watch out for bed bugs in NYC - check the bed bug registry online!
:errrr:

bebe

Ideal_Rock

Ditto what Mere says, you'd be bored to death after a day or so. It can get pretty dreary down there in winter. NYC !!!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
megumic|1291267041|2784888 said:
watch out for bed bugs in NYC - check the bed bug registry online!
:errrr:

There is a bed bug registry??? That is something I could use at work when a kid comes back from vacation with a "bumpy rash."

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
bebe|1291270043|2784908 said:

Ditto what Mere says, you'd be bored to death after a day or so. It can get pretty dreary down there in winter. NYC !!!

I am going to see if I can talk DH out of South Padre tonight. I from what I have read and what you are saying, it sounds like it would be better to do as a weekend trip in the summer.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I live about an hour from NYC and February is a very iffy month when it comes to weather, normally being a very cold snowy month. So if you are planning to doing a lot of walking, it wouldn't be pleasant. However, if you plan on only doing indoor things, then there is plenty to see and do. Maybe you can get tickets to Live with Regis and Kelly or another show. Check here for free audience tickets:
http://www.nytix.com/index.html.. There is just so much to do in NYC!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You'll be coming around February, right? It does tend to be cold and grey, but one of the things I love about NY is that it doesn't matter, since there's always so much to do! And, just checked ... if you come between Jan. 24th and Feb. 6th, it's Restaurant Week!

http://www.nycgo.com/restaurantweek/

Not to mention that, climate change and all, last Feb. was pretty sunny and warm, comparatively speaking. I vote you come here!

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
I love NYC and used to live there, but honestly, February would be the absolute last month I would tell anyone to go to NYC. If you want to see NYC in winter, I'd go in December so you could at least see the city decorated for Christmas, which is beautiful. One of the things that I love most about NYC is that you can walk everywhere and wandering around the city for hours is one of the best ways to explore the city and you aren't going to want to do that in February. February in NYC is freezing, drab and dreary. Remember that NYC is an island surrounded by water, so when the wind starts whipping through the buildings it is miserable and you aren't going to want to be outside. Sorry to be a downer, it is my favorite city, but I would either postpone the vacation till spring or go somewhere else.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you checked out VBRO.com? If your interested in saving money, and still having a great time, I would rent a condo for a couple hundred bucks. If your willing to fly places, check out destin FL, it's beautiful, and if you don't have to be right on the beach, you can find a condo for 85.00 or less per night!

SPI is great during the summer, but not so great in the winter. It can be cold, it houses mostly snow birds, and when it doesn't (like spring break) it gets CRAZY insane and they bring in the coast guard.

NYC is beautiful during the winter, but keep in mind that the snow makes slush, etc and the streets splash stuff up and it's not the nicest that time of year for walking (unless your in a nice park or something). I like to stick to warm places, unless it has a nice lake view or mountain view.

Have fun!

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
South Padre is a HUGE spring break hang out. Not sure when the break starts but Feb. sounds about right for some schools. I look into that before picking SP. Now my vote is for NYC..but I live here and love it :naughty:

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't come to NYC either ... everyone is right. Feb is awful here! What about Vermont? Stowe is fab. There's skiing and snowtubing and snowmobiling and spa relaxing etc. DH & I spent a nice V-day at The Castle in some other part of Vermont -- they usually have V-day Travelzoo specials that include candies & dinner & spa treatments. IIRC, I think LovelyLulu got married there!

Or, heck .. if you're already halfway across the country ... why not Aspen or one of the other western ski centers?

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
I have never liked SPI. The times I have been, beginning about 20 years ago, there were always tarballs on the beach. They get all over your feet and are nearly impossible to scrub off. Plus, there is a "smell of crude" in the air. Maybe I have a sensitive sense of smell, but I found it off-putting. I live on the Georgia Coast. We just got the highest ranking in the USA this week in National Geographic--two of our spots, which is noteworthy since our coastline is tiny.. I don't know if I can link it here, but I will try:http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/coastal-destinations-rated/top-rated

We also made Yahoo travel as top ten in the USA this week.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all the replies. I just finished talking to my husband. I just want to say, I would have been perfectly happy to go to SF. If it was my B-day trip, that is where we would go. Basically, I have talked him out of S Padre Island. He is leaning towards NY, but I was able to get him to consider Miami. But at the end if it all he said "I want to go somewhere we have never been together" and we have been to Miami. He lived in NY for 3 years, and I lived in Philadelphia for 4 years, so we have a good idea what the weather will be like. Last time I went to NY was Mar of 06 and it was below freezing (but not snowing). I still managed to have a good time.

soocool: Thanks for the advise. I am not a fan of walking in snow. I love the live show idea.

Circe: We LOVE restaurant week. I used that as a selling point and he totally sounded interested. And that is the week of his B-day! Could not be more perfect!

NovemberBride: Thanks for the advise, I hear you on the cold thing. If we weren't planning a 2 week trip to Europe in the spring, I would totally put this off.

vintagelover229: Thanks. I have been able to get DH to consider Miami. We will see what he thinks tomorrow

atroop711: Thanks for the advise. I promised him we would go to S Padre when it was warm.

decodelighted: Do you live in NY too??? I will suggest a place with snow sports to him tomorrow night and see what he thinks.

Pink Tower: Is there wind off the Georgia coast? DH likes to windsurf. That coast sounds like a hidden gem.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
LtlFirecracker|1291348714|2785899 said:
decodelighted: Do you live in NY too??? I will suggest a place with snow sports to him tomorrow night and see what he thinks.
I live in NY but not NYC *currently*. For 15+ years over my lifetime though. Still *feels* like home. ;))

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
LtlFirecracker|1291348714|2785899 said:
Thanks for all the replies. I just finished talking to my husband. I just want to say, I would have been perfectly happy to go to SF. If it was my B-day trip, that is where we would go. Basically, I have talked him out of S Padre Island. He is leaning towards NY, but I was able to get him to consider Miami. But at the end if it all he said "I want to go somewhere we have never been together" and we have been to Miami. He lived in NY for 3 years, and I lived in Philadelphia for 4 years, so we have a good idea what the weather will be like. Last time I went to NY was Mar of 06 and it was below freezing (but not snowing). I still managed to have a good time.

soocool: Thanks for the advise. I am not a fan of walking in snow. I love the live show idea.

Circe: We LOVE restaurant week. I used that as a selling point and he totally sounded interested. And that is the week of his B-day! Could not be more perfect!

NovemberBride: Thanks for the advise, I hear you on the cold thing. If we weren't planning a 2 week trip to Europe in the spring, I would totally put this off.

vintagelover229: Thanks. I have been able to get DH to consider Miami. We will see what he thinks tomorrow

atroop711: Thanks for the advise. I promised him we would go to S Padre when it was warm.

Pink Tower: Is there wind off the Georgia coast? DH likes to windsurf. That coast sounds like a hidden gem.
We are the westernmost point on the east coast of the United States. We line up with Cleveland, Ohio!!! No big waves, and we are well protected from hurricanes because we are tucked in so far. The G8 summit was held here, at Sea Island. You can google their website.

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
I'm from Houston and live in Corpus Christi which is next to north Padre Island. The Texas coast can be a really nice place to visit at different times of the year, but I can't imagine anyone coming from out of state to SPI in December. Maybe they have stuff to do that I've just never heard of. I know you've already decided against coming to Texas anyway, but for anyone else considering a trip down here, I think Galveston is a fun place around Christmas. I'd rather go to NYC though since I've never been and it's NYC at Christmas!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Guilty Pleasure|1291421269|2786791 said:
I'm from Houston and live in Corpus Christi which is next to north Padre Island. The Texas coast can be a really nice place to visit at different times of the year, but I can't imagine anyone coming from out of state to SPI in December. Maybe they have stuff to do that I've just never heard of. I know you've already decided against coming to Texas anyway, but for anyone else considering a trip down here, I think Galveston is a fun place around Christmas. I'd rather go to NYC though since I've never been and it's NYC at Christmas!

Thanks. We live in Texas :). I think that is why he was thinking of going there because it is local.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Well, husband has pretty much decided on NY. He spent the weekend looking at places he wants to go. I booked the airline tickets today after throwing all the potential problems out there.

Time for me to start shopping for some winter boots....

meresal

Ideal_Rock
LF- Congrats on picking a vaction! I think February is horrible for people who live there, since they get to be there all year, but honestly, I LOVE NYC anytime I get to go!

You will have an absolute blast, just pack warm clothes and take tons of pictures!

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
LtlFirecracker|1291691311|2789514 said:

Thanks. We live in Texas :). I think that is why he was thinking of going there because it is local.

Haha, I don't know why I assumed otherwise, but it makes much more sense now why you would consider SPI. I think there are some fun things to do down here and definitely worth visiting if it's only a cheap flight or a road trip away. If y'all ever do decide to take a vacation in my area, post a thread, and I'll make some recommendations:)

Have a safe and wonderful trip to NYC - I'm jealous!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
meresal|1291694478|2789568 said:
LF- Congrats on picking a vaction! I think February is horrible for people who live there, since they get to be there all year, but honestly, I LOVE NYC anytime I get to go!

You will have an absolute blast, just pack warm clothes and take tons of pictures!

Thanks, we have both lived in that area so we know what we are in for. I will probably wear the same winter jacket I wore when I went almost 5 years ago, because since then, I have been living in San Diego, than Texas and have not needed to buy another!

Also looking forward to restaurant week, I booked during that time!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Guilty Pleasure|1291697535|2789610 said:
LtlFirecracker|1291691311|2789514 said:

Haha, I don't know why I assumed otherwise, but it makes much more sense now why you would consider SPI. I think there are some fun things to do down here and definitely worth visiting if it's only a cheap flight or a road trip away. If y'all ever do decide to take a vacation in my area, post a thread, and I'll make some recommendations:)

Have a safe and wonderful trip to NYC - I'm jealous!

Will do, we will be going to Corpus this summer for sure. I am not sure how close that is to you, but I promised him we would go to SPI during the summer as well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results