shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about Laser inscription on girdle

cherij0411

Shiny_Rock
Hi

I purchased a stone that has a GIA Diamond Dossier report, so the GIA number is laser inscribed on the girdle. I am having the stone placed in a setting from a local jeweler. How do I make sure the stone I give them will be the exact stone placed in the setting? I trust them but I know mistakes can happen. Is the girdle viewable once it is set? I plan to go to an independent appraiser after it is all said and done.

Thanks

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
you would first view the clarity plot and the inscription with the jeweler before you leave the diamond, then afterwards same step to insure its the same diamond after setting. I did this with my local jeweler. If its a full bezel, then really its clarity plot.

ETA: sorry Dossier doesn't have clarity plot so the only way is to view the inscription with the jeweler before leaving the diamond and again afterwards

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tell the jeweler to set the stone such that the inscription is not covered by the prongs.

Another way is to ask the jeweler to map out the inclusions, allow you to check under the microscope that the inclusions mapped matches what is in the stone, signed that map off. Then when the stone is set, check the map to make sure it is the same stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results