shape
carat
color
clarity

Its Christmas tipping time again...

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know we had this thread last year but I have a new situation I need help with. My daughter starting taking
horseback riding lessons this year. Do I tip her trainer/coach? If so, how much? She has been taking lessons
since the start of summer...does that affect anything? Appreciate any help becaue I really dont have much of
a clue here.

BTW - feel free to add any tipping questions you may have to this thread!

Ninna

Shiny_Rock
Stables are all different and tips are nice but not obligatory :)
Group lesson Instructors usually get candy and/or appreciation notes from young ones.
Some Private instructors get $20 [or a gift card] others get the cost of one private lesson. This is the common practice in my area but you could also ask or watch other parents and go from there =)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Ninna! I was thinking maybe the cost of a lesson...but I think I will ask some of the other parents first.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i may be alone on this but i don't think of this as a "service" but as a contracted teaching situation. no, i would not tip. i might make some cookies for this individual......

MoZo

labellavita81

Shiny_Rock
I wouldn't tip, I think a small token of apprciation given by your daughter (made herself or bought) is more then enough.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Box of chocolates.

I find that everyone likes the small Godiva box at $15.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I would not tip. I would buy a nice box of chocolates or some yummy cookies. When I used to go to get lessons for gymnastics or art, we never tipped. We just bought chocolates and a nice card.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the feedback. I hadnt thought of it like a contract. Hmm...I'll have to think about it now. I had already planned
to take in a big bowl of homemade chex mix for everyone so maybe I'll just get her a smaller gift (like the chocolates - Yum).

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, as a riding instructor, I'm probably qualified to give you some guidance here. ;))

I have never received a tip from a student (or a student's parents), and I would probably refuse to accept a tip if one were offered to me. Honestly, I just don't feel that your child's riding instructor is the type of person you tip. A tip seems rather impersonal, and a person typically has a closer relationship with their riding instructor than with their mailman or hair stylist (just examples).

Please don't feel obligated to do anything at all . . . we really don't expect it! However, I do understand why you might want to show your appreciation. Riding instructors are wonderful people! :bigsmile:

If I were you, I would get her a small gift instead. A gift set from Bath & Body Works comes to mind. My students usually get me something horse-related, and I usually do the same for them as well. In the past, I've received horse-themed Christmas ornaments, treats for my own horse, a pair of riding gloves, etc. Also, someone mentioned Godiva chocolates. I don't know about your daughter's riding instructor, but THIS riding instructor would VERY gladly accept some Godiva chocolates. Very. Gladly. :lickout:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results