shape
carat
color
clarity

F IF vs G VS1

SteveNagacho

Rough_Rock
Hi All,
Would appreciate some more insight on this topic....I looked at 2 round brilliant stones this weekend (still awaiting GIA).
One was 1.12 F IF a lil bit outside my price range and the other was 1.19 G VS1 both triple excellent. However, I noticed the F IF looked significantly larger than the G VS1. Is this due to the much higher clarity and color? I thought that the naked eye visual characteristics of the rock is more so the cut and diameter? Can anyone confirm if there is any reason that a much smaller rock can appear larger due to it being F/IF? If so, would you recommend me going w/ a smaller rock for higher clarity/color? For now, I am pretty much set on a G or H VS1 or 2 and would 'spend' remaining $ on having a triple excellent cut for sparkle.

Thanks!!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
a better cut diamond will sparkle more, and therefore may give the appearance of a bigger stone. Also- coulld you post the measurements? the larger stone may be cut deep and therefore facing up smaller.

IMO, having ideal cut outweighs color and clarity. A better cut diamond will sparkle more, hide color/tint, and be harder to see inclusions. I would go with a better cut stone over carat, color and clarity.

SteveNagacho

Rough_Rock
Great! Thank you...that's what I thought all along. To be honest, I didn't even consider F and IFs because I would have had to go significantly lower on size + pay more premium on the price. As for the dimensions, I don't have it yet. Still waiting to receive it. Will follow up. Thanks again! Actually, its helpful to know that larger /deeper cut stones may appear smaller. Will follow up on dimensions when I get it.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Color and clarity have nothing to do with how large the diamond looks. Cut, on the other hand, does. There are really 2 effects we're talking about. First, a diamond that's cut too deep will have dimensions that are actually smaller than an ideal-cut diamond. Second, an ideal-cut diamond will appear larger than it actually is due to edge-to-edge light reflection.

Color/clarity are a personal choice, but you'll probably get the most bang for your buck with H/SI1. For most people, H appears indistinguishable from a colorless diamond when viewed face-up, and many SI1s are eye-clean (but not all!). So if you're trying to save money, definitely think about lower color/clarity grades, but you're right not to sacrifice cut quality.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
jstarfireb|1291079884|2782245 said:
Color and clarity have nothing to do with how large the diamond looks. Cut, on the other hand, does. There are really 2 effects we're talking about. First, a diamond that's cut too deep will have dimensions that are actually smaller than an ideal-cut diamond. Second, an ideal-cut diamond will appear larger than it actually is due to edge-to-edge light reflection.

Color/clarity are a personal choice, but you'll probably get the most bang for your buck with H/SI1. For most people, H appears indistinguishable from a colorless diamond when viewed face-up, and many SI1s are eye-clean (but not all!). So if you're trying to save money, definitely think about lower color/clarity grades, but you're right not to sacrifice cut quality.

exactly. thank you for clarifying the "ideal cut makes it bigger" statement. You said it better than I could have.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
jstarfireb|1291079884|2782245 said:

THIS - plus it is possible that the larger looking diamond is the one that isn't cut as well if it is shallow. Really - her suggestion of h-si1 is good... but forget the color and clarity and concentrate on cut first and foremost. And by cut I don't mean shape.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results