carat
color
clarity

Afghanistan Emerald from Panjshir Mines

rryba888786

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hello

Can anybody give me the price idea of Panjshir Mines, Emerald (Afghanistan) . I recently bought the rough and cut it and got very nice big sizes n 90% clarity with fabulous color. Sizes from 5.00-32.95 Ct.
Its very hard to get such sizes from this mine. Any advice will be highly appreciated.

Regards

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
You will have to send your emeralds to an appraiser for an evaluation; if you cannot find one locally, Richard Sherwood based in Sarasota Florida does gemstone appraisals. Good luck!!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's an impossible question because each gem will be priced according to size, clarity, colour, cut, treatment (or lack of) etc. So there are too many variables to give you a definite $X per carat. As Indy as suggested, you're best taking them all to an appraiser for an opinion. If you're planning on selling the gemstones after, then it's always a good idea to get a lab report.

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
For an accurate price, the emeralds must be inspected by an appraiser specializing in emeralds in person. I've had mixed results on general gemstone appraisers with emeralds. It's also impossible to grade an emerald using a digital photograph. I cannot stress enough that photographs of emeralds are inaccurate for higher quality stones.

In most cases, the first modifiers on emerald pricing are color and clarity. Then treatment. Then size. Then origin. Origin usually (not always) dictates color, so it's not a large factor (<20%) in pricing models. An emerald that size could range from <<$100 per carat to infinity per carat based on the quality of the material. The odds of you finding a $20,000/ct emerald outside of Colombia are rare, but not impossible.

If your screen is properly calibrated for color, this color chart can be used as a *rough* estimate for color quality:
http://rgbchart.com/. If your screen is not color calibrated, that chart is not accurate.

A $20,000/ct emerald is going to have 'trace' or better treatment (lab report stating this) and a color close to 005511 blended with 003311 as highlights. This is not the exact color by any means as computers cannot render the exact emerald color well at all. As the color lightens from the 'ideal', the price drop is very significant. Lighter green 'crystal' emeralds can be had for less than $1000/ct even as large as 5++ ct.

Naturally all of these are estimates;-)

--Joshua

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As these emeralds are hard to find and larger sizes almost impossible, get them appraised. Most people are also looking for proof if is from Panjshir as well.
I know I looked for one for a long time and couldn't find anything big enough to make a show and the prices were crazy.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
serenitydiamonds|1290527536|2776699 said:
It's also impossible to grade an emerald using a digital photograph. I cannot stress enough that photographs of emeralds are inaccurate for higher quality stones.

Josh, thanks for the synopsis, and I very much agree with the above statement.

rryba888786

Rough_Rock
Trade
autumngems|1290543811|2777039 said:
As these emeralds are hard to find and larger sizes almost impossible, get them appraised. Most people are also looking for proof if is from Panjshir as well.
I know I looked for one for a long time and couldn't find anything big enough to make a show and the prices were crazy.

Its very hard for me to take the Emerald picture, its very deep leaf color , which is the speciality of Panjshir Mines (Afghanistan) this is 100% not treated, no oil. Size 11.75 Ct, I have 3 pieces in Oval sizes +8.00-9.00 and 1 superb color/clarity (no cracks inside) sizes 16.00 Carat emerald shape from Panjhsir mines, will add photos later. What kind of price these stones can worth?

Rubies are also from Afghanistan, yeah they are on pinkish side.

Emerald3 (2).JPG

Emerald4.JPG

Emerald2 (2)1.jpg

Emerald2 (2)12.jpg

rryba888786

Rough_Rock
Trade
Sorry for the pictures, the COLOR IS VERY DEEP GREEN LEAF COLOR which is hard to catch in a photo. :(

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know that many posters would love to help you but for appraisal purposes for resale, it is extremely important to know the colour accurately, check for clarity and treatment (or none) and their levels, among others. Therefore, it becomes impossible for even a ball park number because the slightest change in any parameter can mean a lot of money.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results