shape
carat
color
clarity

IDEALSCOPE

cherij0411

Shiny_Rock
Hi

If a jeweler is unable to provide me with an idealscope image of a stone, should I not purchase the stone from them? I suppossed i can purchase my own idealscope to view the diamond but I dont feel confident enough to verify if what I am seeing is good or bad. Should I purchase from another vendor who can give me an idealscope?

Thanks

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Online vendor? For round brilliant?

cherij0411

Shiny_Rock
No it is a Brick and Morter store and yes it is a round brilliant. She said she can provide hearts image but not idealscope. I am purchasing the setting from them.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
What are the proportions for the stone? If the numbers are safe, should be relatively safe buying without an idealscope, just make sure to check out the stone in as many different lighting conditions as possible and not just under jewelry store lightings.

cherij0411

Shiny_Rock
I plugged the numbers into HCA and it gave me a 1.9

.80 ct
G color
SI2
5.99x5.94x3.64
Depth 61%
Table 58%
Crown 14.7%
Pavillion 42.7%
Crown Angle 34.9
Pav Angle 40.9
Girdle think to med faceted
Polish Very good
Symmetry Very good

Thanks for you advice/help

Cheri

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yap, relatively safe. What is the lower half/lower girdle size?

cherij0411

Shiny_Rock
How do I find that number?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Which lab graded that stone?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you, I would purchase an ideal scope. They're not very much $ and it's fun to have one to play around with! ;-)

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
A Si2 with an EGL cert? Have you checked to make sure it's eye clean? Not just under their jewelry store lights, but in lighting different conditions.

If stonecold or others think the proportions are pretty safe, I'd go back and check the clarity of the diamond is to your satisfaction. Look under different lights and look close enough to make sure your intended won't spot black pepper in the stone once you're out of the store.

One trick too is to touch the stone all over with your (greasy) hands - get the diamond a little dirty and see if you can see the inclusions then. I recall a few girls on PS didn't see anything in the store. Once the stone was dirtier, after a week of wear, they couldn't stop seeing the black carbon or whatever in the center of the stone.

By the way, I have an Si2 (GIA graded) and it's just fine by my eyes. With an EGL, it could be a "true" Si2, but may be as low as an I1 (due to EGL's softer grading standards - although generally, EGL is pretty good with clarity grades).

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
continuing iota's post - EGL USA is known to be less prone to grade inflation than EGL-I.. which doesn't matter when you can see the stone :))

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Agree with Iota- make sure that the color and clarity are up to par (to your eyes) in different lighting. The lighting in the jewelry store is a specific way to make everything sparklier and the clarity/color issues may be harder to spot. I would ask if you can bring it by an window, etc. that way you can see it in natural lighting. If everything looks great to you- it has an HCA score of 1.9, then you can feel pretty good about the purchase. IMHO.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results