shape
carat
color
clarity

Did you do something for him?

RhubarbPie

Shiny_Rock
Hey everyone - so I saw the idea brought up in another thread about doing something for your fiance after he proposes. Kind of like something to make him feel really special (since you, the proposee will be getting most of the attention). I think this is a great idea. I know my mom will probably get him a gift, and I thought about getting him a dress watch or something like that, but I was thinking it might be nice to do something for him that was less material in nature, and more thoughtful - kind of tailored to him. I don't know when he'll propose, but we'll be in Las Vegas for it. Anyone have any ideas or stories of what you have done? I would really love to do something wonderful for him that would make him feel so special (since he is!!).

Thanks!

RhubarbPie

Shiny_Rock
Hm. Anybody? Also, if anyone knows of a thread where this has been addressed, then feel free to point me there also!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I think a watch is a good idea. My bf has already told me that he would like a watch as a wedding present (of course he picks out that watch that is like $3k).

I'm trying to think of Vegas specific, non-material ideas...

I have a few thoughts- what are you looking to spend? What are his hobbies? Is he into cars?

RhubarbPie

Shiny_Rock
amc80 said:
I think a watch is a good idea. My bf has already told me that he would like a watch as a wedding present (of course he picks out that watch that is like $3k).

I'm trying to think of Vegas specific, non-material ideas...

I have a few thoughts- what are you looking to spend? What are his hobbies? Is he into cars?

I think getting a dress watch is a really good idea, but he has a very nice Gucci watch that his mom bought for him a year or two ago which is his everyday watch. I'm thinking its a better wedding present.

Mmm, money is not too much of an object. If I can keep it under $1000, that would be great.

As far as interests, he's going to law school in the fall (so he's getting very excited for that), but he is a musician (as am I), which is what he went to school for (undergrad) - primarily jazz. He is really into cars and loves looking at cars, but he doesn't love driving actually (that's weird, I know). He wants to own the cars, but hes happy to have me drive him around in them lol.

Thanks for any ideas! This is my first trip to Las Vegas and so I don't know much about it. I also wouldn't be opposed to doing something once we get home as well.

RhubarbPie

Shiny_Rock
Also this is pretty random, but we LOVE animals: pandas and kitties specifically lol. I'm trying to see if there is anything I can do involving animals. A few years ago I tried see if I could arrange something for him having to do with the pandas at the National Zoo but it wasn't possible. I know that he's played with/worked with panda's in China, but I'm obviously trying to find something a little closer :razz:

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Okay, well off the top of my head, here are some ideas:

1) NASCAR driving school. You said he likes cars but not driving, but here, you actually can do a race in an actual NASCAR car. I can't imagine most guys not enjoying that.
2) Helicopter tour of the city (both romantic and memorable).
3) Concert. You are both into music- there are several going on at any given weekend.
4) Show- Maybe one of the Cirque shows? Again, there are several.
5) Dinner on top of the Stratosphere or the restaurant in the Eiffel Tower @ Paris.
6) Skydiving (not for me, but thought I'd throw it out there).
7) Limo tour
8) Grand Canyon helicopter tour (there are some where you even get to land on the bottom of the canyon)

As you can see, it really all depends on how much time you want to dedicate.

Oh, and just thought of this- how about a custom made suit?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
In light of the animal thing-
At the Mirage, there is Siegfried and Roy's Secret Garden and Dolphin Habitat. You can do a behind the scenes VIP tour that includes this:
Get an insider’s view of the hard work and dedication that goes into the training and care of our dolphins and gain new insights into the majestic white lions and white tigers of Siegfried and Roy.

Just a thought.

RhubarbPie

Shiny_Rock
amc80 said:
Okay, well off the top of my head, here are some ideas:

1) NASCAR driving school. You said he likes cars but not driving, but here, you actually can do a race in an actual NASCAR car. I can't imagine most guys not enjoying that.
2) Helicopter tour of the city (both romantic and memorable).
3) Concert. You are both into music- there are several going on at any given weekend.
4) Show- Maybe one of the Cirque shows? Again, there are several.
5) Dinner on top of the Stratosphere or the restaurant in the Eiffel Tower @ Paris.
6) Skydiving (not for me, but thought I'd throw it out there).
7) Limo tour
8) Grand Canyon helicopter tour (there are some where you even get to land on the bottom of the canyon)

As you can see, it really all depends on how much time you want to dedicate.

Oh, and just thought of this- how about a custom made suit?

Thank you so much for all of these suggestions!!

1) That sounds cool! Do you drive or is it like someone else driving or something? I'm gonna look into that.
2, 6, 8) I wanted to do all of these (well not skydiving:razz:), but he is so afraid of heights he won't go in the helicopter haha!!
3) Also going to see what concerts are going on, because we would love that.
4) He booked tickets for Cirque "Love" and also "La Reve". He really wants to go to Penn and Teller but I don't love Penn and Teller, But maybe Ill book it as a surprise.
5) We have reservations at the stratosphere. Hes really a foodie (well we both are) so hes made reservations at: Border Grill, Brand, Top of the World (Stratosphere), Bouchon at the Venetian (thats on my birthday, followed by Cirque du soleil!), Lawry's Prime Rib and Wing Lei.
7) I didnt think of a limo tour! That could be really romantic!!

And he would LOVE a custom made suit, OMG. Maybe for his law school graduation, that would be a good present.

Thank you for all these suggestions!!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
You're welcome. As for the driving school- you actually get to drive the car in a race (at least with the top package, there are others where you are just a passenger). It's called the NASCAR Racing Experience.

EDIT: They don't have the NASCAR one in Vegas, but the Mario Andretti Racing Experience. Same concept, just a different shaped track, and an Indy car.

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
My FI is a huge Bob Dylan fan so I got him an autographed guitar for his present after he proposed to me. Does your SO have anyone that he absolutely adores that's an artist, musician, etc? Maybe you could get something autographed for him or have him meet the person while you're on the trip if they happen to be there too. I couldn't get tickets to the next Bob Dylan show so I got my FI the next best thing. Good luck with searching for the perfect gift!

FluroJacket

Rough_Rock
I think a nice old style gavel would be a nice gift. Its something he would keep on his desk at any future job and serve as a constant reminder of you...

You can get a nice gavel and sound block for less than $150, (http://www.gavelstore.com/custom.html) so it also leaves open the possibility of doing someting less materialistic..

nr00

Rough_Rock
I will be honest, I never thought about this before. It sounds like a really thoughtful idea, and I love the idea of a nice watch! What about one with an engraving for the engagement event too?

Valjean

Rough_Rock
The dress watch idea seems to be the norm among my circle of friends. I would for sure love one as a gift but I won't expecting it as my taste in watches are but on the expensive side! I wouldn't want her to spend too much!

Mrs.W 514

Brilliant_Rock
I built, with the help of my Grandfather, a custom rifle for my Fiance as a proposal present. He is an avid hunter but the rifle he was using was made for a 12 year old girl! He absolutely loved the gun, it played to his interests really well and the hand built by me factor wowed him. Unfortunately he had just gotten wrist surgery so he couldn't use it for a few months after receiving it so...I shot it first :Up_to_something: I was just making sure it was sighted in :saint:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results